L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

*** September 2024 Image and Video Thread ***

I used the S5 and Sigma 50/2 to take a picture of my latest acquisition - a Canon 6D DSLR. I've never owned a FF DSLR and have had a hankering to have a play with one even if it's nowhere as good as the S5. 6Ds are the cheapest used FF DSLRs that aren't ancient so that was the obvious choice, especially given that I have a few EF lenses for use on film and the S5. It feels remarkably good in the hand - rounded and chunky without being heavy. It has A LOT of limitations and bad design choices compared to the S5, and I'd imagine to most much more modern cameras, but it's not my main system so that's OK.

54001567511_efe38b205b_c.jpg
Canon EOS 6D
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

I used the S5 and Sigma 50/2 to take a picture of my latest acquisition - a Canon 6D DSLR. I've never owned a FF DSLR and have had a hankering to have a play with one even if it's nowhere as good as the S5. 6Ds are the cheapest used FF DSLRs that aren't ancient so that was the obvious choice, especially given that I have a few EF lenses for use on film and the S5. It feels remarkably good in the hand - rounded and chunky without being heavy. It has A LOT of limitations and bad design choices compared to the S5, and I'd imagine to most much more modern cameras, but it's not my main system so that's OK.

View attachment 6751
Canon EOS 6D by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
Yeah, I had one for a few years, ended up with it kind of by accident in an insurance claim. I never really gelled with it in the 4? years or so I owned it. I got into m4/3 at the same time, my GX8 was much much more enjoyable to use. And if you weren't after shallow DOF, probably took as good or better picture. The 6D felt like an absolute stone age Dinosaur when going back to it after the GX8.

These beach photos are from my recent road trip to the north coast of New South Wales.

Tallow Beach at Byron Bay
P1009895_DxO.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 24-105/F4
  • 39.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/320 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

Main Beach at Byron Bay
P1009800_DxO.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 24-105/F4
  • 36.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/250 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

Wategos Beach at Byron Bay
P1009802_DxO.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 24-105/F4
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/100 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

The eastern most point of mainland Australia, Cape Byron. It was blowing an absolute gale when I was there so it was a struggle to keep still while trying to take the photo.
P1009827_DxO.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 24-105/F4
  • 38.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/125 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

Looking south at Cape Byron with the lighthouse keeper's cottage perched on the headland.
P1009847_DxO.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 24-105/F4
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/60 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

It has A LOT of limitations and bad design choices compared to the S5, and I'd imagine to most much more modern cameras, but it's not my main system so that's OK.
Well it has built-in GPS which is sadly missing on Lumix, yes you can faff around with your phone linked by bluetooth but it's more hassle than it's worth, and drains the battery on both.

Well it has built-in GPS which is sadly missing on Lumix, yes you can faff around with your phone linked by bluetooth but it's more hassle than it's worth, and drains the battery on both.
Apparently the GPS is a major drain on the 6D so I'll likely keep it off most of the time. WiFi too, which in addition to draining the battery means you can't develop RAWs in-camera for some insane reason. There are other completely unrelated things that can't be done with WiFi on but I forget what they are.

Apparently the GPS is a major drain on the 6D so I'll likely keep it off most of the time. WiFi too, which in addition to draining the battery means you can't develop RAWs in-camera for some insane reason. There are other completely unrelated things that can't be done with WiFi on but I forget what they are.
Yeah it kind of looks ancient that way but still the sensor is quite good. I see you can get them for around £280 from a dealer with short guarantee, maybe £200 ish on Ebay.

Probably far easier to use than modern mirrorless which are mega complicated.

Yeah it kind of looks ancient that way but still the sensor is quite good. I see you can get them for around £280 from a dealer with short guarantee, maybe £200 ish on Ebay.

Probably far easier to use than modern mirrorless which are mega complicated.
I paid €310 delivered for mine, no guarantee, which is down about €100 or more from a year ago.

I'm not sure I'd say it's easier to use - it's simpler with fewer functions than my S5, or even my K-3 which is about the same age, but the design of the controls and firmware mean that many things are more difficult to do - less intuitive, requiring more button presses or more menu-diving.

Well the first half of my project is advancing nicely. Machining up a couple of brackets to suit their new position.
240916Es-P1013690.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • LUMIX S 26/F8
  • 26.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/15 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

And a quick scrub before heading off to the paint shop to touch up the welded areas on final assembly. We'll mount the crane possibly later this week.
240912Es-P1013654.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • LUMIX S 14-28/F4-5.6
  • 17.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/160 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

And the marriage has been consummated :)
240920Es-P1013704.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • LUMIX S 14-28/F4-5.6
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/15 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 400
240920Es-P1013713.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • LUMIX S 14-28/F4-5.6
  • 21.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/15 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 320
240920Es-P1013718.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • LUMIX S 14-28/F4-5.6
  • 25.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/100 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

Nice job! It looks like a very expensive piece of kit.
Definitely not cheap. Somewhere between $4-500K each I think (working on the second one now). A returning customer who I've done one for previously a couple of years back, so must be doing something right. Still having big supply issues, not good for any business.

Back