L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

*** September 2024 Image and Video Thread ***

SR-71 still looks ahead of it's time, I reckon the aliens in area 51 helped Kelly Johnson :cool:
Indeed. My office is on Kelly Johnson Drive (named in his memory) and I've known many Lockheed Skunk Works people over the years. I'd say no aliens, but really really good engineers.

The rocks and flora which make their home are beautiful around this shoreline, and the 24-105 0.5x macro is the business. I'm still seeing an alien here, what do you think? Thanks for the SR-71 1000015845.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 24-105/F4
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/60 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 640

St John’s Point lighthouse this time as is in bumblebee colours. You can actually stay at the accommodation, it is also Bortle 4 dark sky area and should be good for Milky Way south east this time of year over the Irish Sea. The lighthouse also does the light painting for you. I've been down at night before but didn't have clear skies for astro nor had full frame.1000015847.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 24-105/F4
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/60 sec
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 160

I've also been there twice. I love that museum. The first time I was there, lots of years ago, it just happened that the crew from the second Hiroshima B-29 strike plane, the Bockscar (which is on display at the museum) was there for a reunion, and I got to see these fairly old guys crawl into their airplane. It was a moment in history.
Oooh.
The second time I had the privilege of a private tour by a museum docent and retired Air Force pilot. I learned more about the early Air Force spy satellite programs than I could have imagined. The early spy satellites were before digital cameras, with film, and they actually ejected the film packs and returned them to earth where they dropped by parachute in a region near Hawaii. It turned out my host was one of the pilots that snatched these film packs out of the sky and sent them off to Langley, VA for processing. Again, I had a first hand connection to history.
Yeah, the CORONA satellites; it still feels like a Rube Goldberg-ish operation to me. ^^;; Then again, there were weirder systems; the Lunar Orbiter series from the 60s used a film camera to photograph the moon, developed the film in the satellite, and scanned the developed film for transmission to Earth. https://www.inverse.com/science/lun...-for-planetary-science-more-than-50-years-ago

The SAC museum didn't have a CORONA, but they did have a Vela satellite:

53974233310_f711092d3d_b.jpg
20240902-SDIM2295 by Travis Butler, on Flickr

The Vela's were set up to look for nuclear tests. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vela_(satellite)

(Lumix S5, Vivitar 28/2.5 (Kiron))
As you maybe know I have the Vivitar 28mm f2.0 Close Focus, the Komine made one which is kind of rare in Pentax K-mount and yet to try it on S5ii. I used it for flowers/close ups as a bokeh lens and it does have unique bokeh like an artist painted it.

I should try it whilst we still have flowers but it's the 0.5x macro in both 24-105 and 70-300 which is preventing this.

For the sharpness critics of Lumix 24-105 f4 I don't get it, I did this before with Pentax APSC with their best lenses and it wasn't in the same league (maybe inferior APSC). You can't see it here in a low res file but I'd happilly send the RAW.
1000015854.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 24-105/F4
  • 105.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/160 sec
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

SR-71 still looks ahead of it's time, I reckon the aliens in area 51 helped Kelly Johnson :cool:
In an earlier lifetime I had one of those careers that involved traveling all over the world, for months and occasionally years at a time - no, not military; show business - and if there was an air museum wherever I found myself, that's where you'd find me on my days off, especially if they had an SR-71 or YF-12 or any other variant of the Blackbird... If you ever get to the Frontiers of Flight Museum at Dallas (TX) Love Field, they've got the last surviving SR-71 flight trainer there. (no, I couldn't fit into it, although not for lack of trying.)

Another great one in the Midwest is the Kalamazoo Air Zoo in Michigan.
That's about 45 minutes from my house. You should be there during hot-air balloon week; it's almost as grand as Albuquerque.

BTW, if you're that close, just stay on I-94 eastbound another hour and visit the Michigan Flight Museum (formerly the Yankee Air Museum) at Willow Run airport in Belleville, just outside Detroit. They used to build B-25s at Willow Run during WWII and you can still buy a ride in their B-25, "Rosie's Reply," or their C-47, "Hairless Joe."

Every lighthouse needs a fog horn 1000015865.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 24-105/F4
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/80 sec
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100
1000015860.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 24-105/F4
  • 105.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/250 sec
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100
1000015863.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 24-105/F4
  • 60.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/60 sec
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 125

The end... I used my 24-105 again 1000015867.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 24-105/F4
  • 81.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/100 sec
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 250
1000015858.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 24-105/F4
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/60 sec
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

Willow Run airport in Belleville, just outside Detroit. They used to build B-25s at Willow Run during WWII and you can still buy a ride in their B-25, "Rosie's Reply," or their C-47, "Hairless Joe."
A B-25 story. Sadly my friend Charles Sperry just passed away, the grandson of the Sperry that invented aircraft instrumentation to fly blind in bad weather, and a founder of the company Sperry Gyroscope. One of the many stories Charles told, my favorite, was when he was a child in his grandfather's kitchen, early in WWII, and his grandfather was working at the kitchen table with uncle Jimmy. They had drawings and stuff all over the table. They were figuring out the best way to instrument a B-25 for night flight and bad weather flight. Uncle Jimmy was Jimmy Doolittle, who orchestrated to Doolittle Raid over Tokyo in April 1942, where B-25s flew the first air attack over Japan.

Yeah, the CORONA satellites; it still feels like a Rube Goldberg-ish operation to me.
The main thing that made it non-Rube Goldberg is that it used the same reliable camera right out of the U-2 spy plane, so all of the back end work for film was in place. All they had to do was get the dammed film out of orbit.

Reactions: PJD
That's about 45 minutes from my house. You should be there during hot-air balloon week; it's almost as grand as Albuquerque.

BTW, if you're that close, just stay on I-94 eastbound another hour and visit the Michigan Flight Museum (formerly the Yankee Air Museum) at Willow Run airport in Belleville, just outside Detroit. They used to build B-25s at Willow Run during WWII and you can still buy a ride in their B-25, "Rosie's Reply," or their C-47, "Hairless Joe."
Hah, a rival! ;) Kansas City was another central location for B-25 production, at the Fairfax Airport.

Didn’t make it to Willow Run, but did make it to the Henry Ford museum; sadly that was in 2013 and I shot it with a Pentax Q, and the pics haven’t held up so well. A return visit is high on my bucket list.

A B-25 story. Sadly my friend Charles Sperry just passed away, the grandson of the Sperry that invented aircraft instrumentation to fly blind in bad weather, and a founder of the company Sperry Gyroscope. One of the many stories Charles told, my favorite, was when he was a child in his grandfather's kitchen, early in WWII, and his grandfather was working at the kitchen table with uncle Jimmy. They had drawings and stuff all over the table. They were figuring out the best way to instrument a B-25 for night flight and bad weather flight. Uncle Jimmy was Jimmy Doolittle, who orchestrated to Doolittle Raid over Tokyo in April 1942, where B-25s flew the first air attack over Japan.
Wow. o_O

The SAC museum had a pretty extensive section on the Doolittle Raid:

53974850648_18632ec3eb_h.jpg
20240902-SDIM2415 by Travis Butler, on Flickr

53974616576_26a08d7f07_h.jpg
20240902-SDIM2430 by Travis Butler, on Flickr

The main thing that made it non-Rube Goldberg is that it used the same reliable camera right out of the U-2 spy plane, so all of the back end work for film was in place. All they had to do was get the dammed film out of orbit.
Hah, I knew there was a reason I shot this...

53974850658_333132129b_h.jpg
20240902-SDIM2348 by Travis Butler, on Flickr

SR-71's camera, not the U2... though the Dragon Lady did get her fair attention:

53974933364_e2f3d119aa_h.jpg
20240902-SDIM2458 by Travis Butler, on Flickr

53974933349_917cbdb7e1_h.jpg
20240902-SDIM2450 by Travis Butler, on Flickr

Some street snaps taken at Sibu, Sarawak, Malaysia. Here for a week to visit my in-laws, was fortunate to photograph the sunset across Rajang River, the longest river in Malaysia.

Tua Pek Kong Temple, oldest Chinese temple in Sibu, with history dating back to 1850s.

Sunset across the Rajang River

My wife with the Lumix GX9, she took some beautiful shots too!

The Swan Statue is another landmark at Sibu, this statue is why the city is nicknamed "Swan City"

I'm currently working on a video documenting Sibu, Sarawak, once it's done I'll post it here ;)

This is the Cape Byron Lighthouse, built in 1901 and still operational today. It sits at the most easterly point on the Australian mainland.

P1009886_DxO.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 24-105/F4
  • 45.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/250 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

Back