L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

*** September 2024 Image and Video Thread ***

Two little children frolicking on Watego's beach at Byron Bay on the New South Wales north coast.

On the horizon you can see the Julian Rocks Nguthungulli Nature Reserve.

P1009806_DxO.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 24-105/F4
  • 61.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/320 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

These are the former lighthouse keeper's cottages at Cape Byron on the NSW north coast.

The head lighthouse keeper's cottage (closest to the camera) is now used as a visitor information centre. The assistant lighthouse keeper's cottage (furthest from the camera) can be rented out for holiday stays. Much too windy upt there for me!!

P1009858_DxO.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 14-28/F4-5.6
  • 28.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/200 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

That is one nice lighthouse, I've a thing for them, my mother paints them
That's really cool! Does she paint in oil or watercolour?

I have been wanting to visit the lighthouse at Cape Byron since I saw it on a TV series last year about great Australian walks. The track is a loop and only 4.7km but it's up and down some very steep sections of headland so it was a good workout.

CapeByron.jpg

Reactions: PJD
Did some camping over the recent 3-day weekend here in the U.S. at Pearl Lake State Park in Colorado. I knew that it would be a good time & location for some Milky Way photography, and had a spot in mind with the lake in the foreground, but Friday night I was feeling tired and didn't want to leave the campsite. So, I pushed my lounge chair back and looked up, and unexpectedly I was staring straight into the MW! It arced right over our campsite. So I grabbed the camera and took a 4-second exposure, in a reclined position, looking up, with the camera resting against my forehead - no tripod. And got this:

P1213669%201-X2.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • 20mm F1.4 DG DN | Art 022
  • 20.0 mm
  • 4 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 6400

The color on the treetops was from our campfire.
Energized, I got the tripod out and took a few near the campsite that actually had the core visible:

P1213679-X2.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • 20.0 mm
  • 10 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 1600

P1213685%202-X2.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • 20.0 mm
  • 10 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 1600

All shots were single - no stacking or tracking. S5 with Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG DN wide-open. First shot 4 seconds, second & third shots 10 seconds. Processed from raw in Capture One.

Did some camping over the recent 3-day weekend here in the U.S. at Pearl Lake State Park in Colorado. I knew that it would be a good time & location for some Milky Way photography, and had a spot in mind with the lake in the foreground, but Friday night I was feeling tired and didn't want to leave the campsite. So, I pushed my lounge chair back and looked up, and unexpectedly I was staring straight into the MW! It arced right over our campsite. So I grabbed the camera and took a 4-second exposure, in a reclined position, looking up, with the camera resting against my forehead - no tripod. And got this:

View attachment 6689

The color on the treetops was from our campfire.
Energized, I got the tripod out and took a few near the campsite that actually had the core visible:

View attachment 6690

View attachment 6691

All shots were single - no stacking or tracking. S5 with Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG DN wide-open. First shot 4 seconds, second & third shots 10 seconds. Processed from raw in Capture One.
Very beautiful shots, you where at the right time, at the right place

I don't normally take shots of artwork (I'd prefer to make my own, he says with conceit !), but I saw this at a student exhibition in The Hague and liked it. I'll need to find out the artist's name!

53976847226_e1907c4343_o.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • 35mm F2 DG DN | Contemporary 020
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/2
  • 1/60 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 2000

Subtle Messages in Art by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Last edited:
Time for a train photo! Z04 Carrot

This is a ex-NSW Government Railways diesel railmotor. Eighteen two-car sets were built, one car motored and the other car a trailer but both cars having driving controls. They mainly operated on regional branch lines from 1949 until withdrawn in the 1990s.

Two interesting things about this particular set:
  • a resort owner in Byron Bay on the NSW north coast operates the railmotor on a short 3km section of a closed branch line between the township and his resort hotel
  • the railmotor was converted to run on solar power, a world first for a train
I am currently visitng the NSW north coast so of course I had to take a ride on the solar train! It's kind of cool that something so old has been brought into the 21st century.

P1009755_DxO.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 70-300/F4.5-5.6
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/80 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

I saw this at a student exhibition in The Hague and liked it.
The heart shape with pigs is interesting. You may know the scientific field of xenotransplantation, where animal tissue can be transplanted into humans. Typically the animal has been genetically modified in a way the tissue is not rejected by humans. It is early days in this field, but there has been work in both kidneys and hearts, based on pigs. The goal is to eventually greatly increase the quantity of available transplantable organs, because there are not nearly enough transplants available to treat all who need them. I expect this piece of art is based on xenotransplantation. It is quite good.

The heart shape with pigs is interesting. You may know the scientific field of xenotransplantation, where animal tissue can be transplanted into humans. Typically the animal has been genetically modified in a way the tissue is not rejected by humans. It is early days in this field, but there has been work in both kidneys and hearts, based on pigs. The goal is to eventually greatly increase the quantity of available transplantable organs, because there are not nearly enough transplants available to treat all who need them. I expect this piece of art is based on xenotransplantation. It is quite good.
I think the artist is actually a science student, so it's quite possible. Nice to see a science type producing art too !

Among the many modern and shiny apartment and hotel towers on the Gold Coast (on the NSW / Queensland state border where I am staying for a few days), I found this little art-deco style hotel. Built in the 1940s, it looks like not much has been done in the intervening 80 years. The online reviews indicate the interior probably hasn't changed either!

The hotel currently goes by the name Whitehall Lodge although it was originally named Kelvin Court. I found an image online of the building from the 1940s (see below).

This photo was taken with the S9 using the Leica Monochrome preset. I had to bring the highlights down a bit due to the harsh afternoon sun.

P1000323_DxO.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S9
  • 24mm F3.5 DG DN | Contemporary 021
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/30 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

The car out the front looks like a Holden FX (48-215), first produced in November 1948 so this dates the photo to late 1940s or early 1950s.
19304tq_9npq_l.jpg
Source: https://ehive.com/collections/5051/objects/538922/photograph

Among the many modern and shiny apartment and hotel towers on the Gold Coast (on the NSW / Queensland state border where I am staying for a few days), I found this little art-deco style hotel. Built in the 1940s, it looks like not much has been done in the intervening 80 years. The online reviews indicate the interior probably hasn't changed either!

The hotel currently goes by the name Whitehall Lodge although it was originally named Kelvin Court. I found an image online of the building from the 1940s (see below).

This photo was taken with the S9 using the Leica Monochrome preset. I had to bring the highlights down a bit due to the harsh afternoon sun.

View attachment 6711

The car out the front looks like a Holden FX (48-215), first produced in November 1948 so this dates the photo to late 1940s or early 1950s.
View attachment 6712
Source: https://ehive.com/collections/5051/objects/538922/photograph
Nice bit of history reportage. The building didn’t look much better in its early days !

Nice bit of history reportage. The building didn’t look much better in its early days !
No, it certainly didn't. The TripAdvisor reviews I found for recent years were not encouraging!

Across the road from the little art-deco hotel that I posted was this old record store.

This one is processed from RW2 using one of DxO's Fuji Acros film simulations.

P1000273_DxO-1.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S9
  • 45mm F2.8 DG DN | Contemporary 019
  • 45.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/50 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 160

Away from the back streets of Tweed Heads and Coolangatta, this is what these twin towns look like. Seaside holiday vibes, street markets, warm weather.

P1000263_DxO.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S9
  • 24mm F3.5 DG DN | Contemporary 021
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/160 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

P1000272_DxO.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S9
  • 45mm F2.8 DG DN | Contemporary 019
  • 45.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/320 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

I always envisioned Gold Coast as a little upscale, and not with a run down hotel. Granted I've only been there at the airport a couple of times passing through.

Awww. That's too bad; I rather like it.

It actually looks like it has changed a fair bit from the 1940s pic; it looks a lot more Art Deco in yours.

Maybe it's the roof; it makes the building look too conventional in the 1940s pic. Did it still have that roof when you shot it?

Did some camping over the recent 3-day weekend here in the U.S. at Pearl Lake State Park in Colorado. I knew that it would be a good time & location for some Milky Way photography... snip

Beautiful work! I'd wanted to shoot the Milky Way over Lake Michigan at the semi-local dark sky park (Bortle 2-3 skies) up near Mackinaw City, Michigan, but while the days were clear, the skies clouded over just after sundown and it turned rainy 'round midnight. Better luck next time, I hope.

Back