L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

SHOW - Shots in 65:24 format (Xpan)

Great photos Paul! You're putting the 70-300mm to good use!

P1000275.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • 105mm F2.8 DG DN MACRO | Art 020
  • 105.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/125 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

P1000302.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 70-300/F4.5-5.6
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/320 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 160

P1011377.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 20-60/F3.5-5.6
  • 60.0 mm
  • ƒ/22
  • 1/4 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

About 10 minutes worth of lightning strikes, right before the storm rolled right over us. Had some strikes super close to the house, but it was a torrential rain & windstorm at that point, so I was indoors. Captured using the S5's Live View Composite mode & an ND8 filter.P1176566 1.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • LUMIX S 16-35/F4
  • 29.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1.6 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

About 10 minutes worth of lightning strikes, right before the storm rolled right over us.
That is really good, a great application for live view composite. And I've lived on the Front Range so I know how these storms perform.

About 10 minutes worth of lightning strikes, right before the storm rolled right over us. Had some strikes super close to the house, but it was a torrential rain & windstorm at that point, so I was indoors. Captured using the S5's Live View Composite mode & an ND8 filter.View attachment 826
Wow, looks great! I never looked at that feature but we've had a few storms coming through lately as well. Will check it out, thanks!

Thanks folks!

I managed to get this posted on a super popular FB page called "Denver & Front Range Weather" and it's currently sitting at 3k likes, which I'm super stoked about. Certainly the best exposure on FB I've had yet. I suppose I should make myself a little company on FB.

BTW, I'm assuming that some of the odd hues in the clouds are due to the fact that there was a lot of cloud-to-cloud lightning going on, which basically just makes the clouds flash, and the composite algorithm is doing the best it could in terms of determining what a highlight is. Some of the clouds actually had a very odd & interesting cyan-ish hue to them, but that was lost in the composite. I suppose I should have taken one image just of the clouds and then blended that with the in-camera composite in PS for the final image.

And I've lived on the Front Range so I know how these storms perform.
Cool - where did you live? I'm on the western edge of Erie, looking right into Boulder county.

These front range storms can be intense. In past years, they have seemed to skirt around us, but this year we've had several come straight over us - including last night, and, apparently, tonight, LOL. Two months ago all my cars & the roof of my house were seriously damaged by hail.

About 10 minutes worth of lightning strikes, right before the storm rolled right over us. Had some strikes super close to the house, but it was a torrential rain & windstorm at that point, so I was indoors. Captured using the S5's Live View Composite mode & an ND8 filter.View attachment 826
Wow

I had a go at using this format vertically and I have to say it's not very useful
I think there is a reason we have evolved to have a cone of vision that is wider than tall. Most of the stuff that is of interest to us plays out on a horizontal plain. Maybe fish or birds would disagree.

Back