L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

SHOW - Shots in 65:24 format (Xpan)

pdk42

Top Poster Of Month
I thought I'd start an open "SHOW" style thread with a topic. These are popular on many photo forums and can be helpful to inspire ideas for us to go out and shoot.

To start, how about something linked to crop ratio (yes, you heard correctly!). 65:24 is the XPan crop ratio and I think it makes a really excellent, if challenging, crop format. What's really great about the Panasonic S cameras is that there is an in-camera crop option for this making it easy to visualise when composing. So, here are a few to kick us off.

Rock in the Loch by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Rainbow Over Charlecote Hall by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Rain Showers over The Trossachs by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

The Dark Clouds Lighten our Soul by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

I know that @xaviergut does a lot in this format, so maybe he can throw some in too?

Last edited:
This is worth a read. If you fancy a real one, be prepared to pay £/$/€ 5k or so.

really like the black and white, I’m not usually a fan of that for landscape but it works well in that shot. Does the S5 have that aspect ratio built in? That could be a good use case for a superwide lens and hi-res mode

Really lovely work Paul. Expect you may all have seen forum member Richard Wong's You Tube Vid all shot 65:24, an inspirational watch, titled 24hrs in Tokyo.

I thought I'd start an open "SHOW" style thread with a topic. These are popular on many photo forums and can be helpful to inspire ideas for us to go out and shoot.

To start, how about something linked to crop ratio (yes, you heard correctly!). 65:24 is the XPan crop ratio and I think it makes a really excellent, if challenging, crop format. What's really great about the Panasonic S cameras is that there is an in-camera crop option for this making it easy to visualise when composing. So, here are a few to kick us off.

Rock in the Loch by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Rainbow Over Charlecote Hall by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Rain Showers over The Trossachs by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

The Dark Clouds Lighten our Soul by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

I know that @xaviergut does a lot in this format, so maybe he can throw some in too?
Excellent pictures, Paul!!

really like the black and white, I’m not usually a fan of that for landscape but it works well in that shot. Does the S5 have that aspect ratio built in? That could be a good use case for a superwide lens and hi-res mode
Yes, the S5 (and the S1/S1R) have this as one of the picture size options.

Really lovely work Paul. Expect you may all have seen forum member Richard Wong's You Tube Vid all shot 65:24, an inspirational watch, titled 24hrs in Tokyo.

Yes, that's a great video. Richard does some really excellent work. I think 65:24 works really well for video too.

View attachment 166

I know it doesn’t quite compete with the images above, but for the sake of playing the game, here is a roughly 65:24 crop of an image taken in 3:2.
That's a great shot. It has a real air of mystery about it. Sometimes it's best if we don't spell everything out - leave the viewer to guess a bit!

There is a german photographer, Robin Schimko (AKA "the_real_sir_robin"), who uses the Panasonic Lumix S5 with the 65:24 XPan aspect ratio to do street photography in Asia.

In this video he shoots in Bangkok with the S5 and the Laowa 35 mm ANAMORPHIC. It is great waht he does:

Cool photos guys!
i LOVE 65:24 photos
I haven't shot any more since the Japan trip but will try some more maybe during the Easter break.

The Anamorphic mode of Panasonic cameras which desquece the image of Anamorphic lenses does only work in video mode, or does it also work in photo mode? Maybe that would be nice for XPan shots.

The Anamorphic mode of Panasonic cameras which desquece the image of Anamorphic lenses does only work in video mode, or does it also work in photo mode? Maybe that would be nice for XPan shots.
The Panasonic anamorphic squeeze display only works in video, to give you a preview of what the final image will look like. But you can still shoot photos with an anamorphic lens to get the anamorphic effect, you just won't have a preview. I've done this with photos, and then de-squeezed them in photoshop. You can get really good photos this way.

Starting off with such great images is a bit intimidating, but let's throw in one anyway. In all honesty, it is a crop from a 3:2 image. Experimenting with the xpan ratio slows down my pace of shooting considerably still. The image is also a nice reminder of how good that 20-60 lens can be.
P1024774-xpan3.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • LUMIX S 20-60/F3.5-5.6
  • 60.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/800 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

Starting off with such great images is a bit intimidating, but let's throw in one anyway. In all honesty, it is a crop from a 3:2 image. Experimenting with the xpan ratio slows down my pace of shooting considerably still. The image is also a nice reminder of how good that 20-60 lens can be.
View attachment 181
Lovely shot. I think the 20-60 lens is fantastic too.

Back