L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

*** October 2024 Image and Video Thread ***

This unique vehicle was originally a Leyland Tiger OPS4/1 bus that was converted to a tow truck in the mid-1970s. It is now part of the Sydney Bus Museum's fleet.

P1010076_DxO.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 24-105/F4
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/60 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

Steam locomotive 3526 hauling a passenger shuttle through Carlton, during the Transport Heritage Expo weekend.

It's been so long since I went out shooting trains that I forgot to keep my shutter speed up, so I have a number of photos that aren't quite sharp. Z04 Head Wall

P1010171_DxO.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 24-105/F4
  • 105.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/125 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 125

Sydney Central Station's new underground platforms 26 and 27 for the new metro rail line.

P1010104_DxO.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 24-105/F4
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/60 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 4000

I've been blathering about astrophotography for a while now, since I joined up here. Here's the first test: M31 - The Andromeda Galaxy.
75 stacked images, shot on two nights last week and processed this weekend in Siril, and finalized in Photoshop Elements 2020 for sharing because the final .PNG file coming out of Siril is like 168Mb...

1st-gen Lumix S5, Askar 71F flat-field telescope (490mm @ f/6.9), Optolong L-Quad Enhance filter, Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer GTi GoTo tracking mount, Manfrotto 075B tripod.
Processed on my cranky old mid-2011 MacBook Pro running Mac OS Catalina. Maybe there's hope for "vintage" equipment after all?

M31 (small).jpg

I've been blathering about astrophotography for a while now, since I joined up here. Here's the first test: M31 - The Andromeda Galaxy.
75 stacked images, shot on two nights last week and processed this weekend in Siril, and finalized in Photoshop Elements 2020 for sharing because the final .PNG file coming out of Siril is like 168Mb...

1st-gen Lumix S5, Askar 71F flat-field telescope (490mm @ f/6.9), Optolong L-Quad Enhance filter, Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer GTi GoTo tracking mount, Manfrotto 075B tripod.
Processed on my cranky old mid-2011 MacBook Pro running Mac OS Catalina. Maybe there's hope for "vintage" equipment after all?

View attachment 6916
Wow - that's really excellent. Is it really only a 490mm lens? Surely you need much higher magnification to get the Andromeda this large in the frame?

I don't do much video but decided to give it a try today. This was shot hand-held with the S5II. Video details are: MP4, 4K, 10-bit 25p (I really don't know what I'm talking about! :p). It is SOOC with no editing.

The subject: ex-NSW Government Railways steam locomotive number 3526, a 4-6-0 built in 1917 and the only member of its class still in existence. It's seen here running a passenger shuttle as part of the Transport Heritage Expo this weekend in Sydney.

I don't do much video but decided to give it a try today. This was shot hand-held with the S5II. Video details are: MP4, 4K, 10-bit 25p (I really don't know what I'm talking about! :p). It is SOOC with no editing.

The subject: ex-NSW Government Railways steam locomotive number 3526, a 4-6-0 built in 1917 and the only member of its class still in existence. It's seen here running a passenger shuttle as part of the Transport Heritage Expo this weekend in Sydney.

I like it, Pete! Short videos is an interesting idea... What Lens did you use?

Nice one. You used the internal mic?

I liked this! Sound was great - internal mic?

I like it, Pete! Short videos is an interesting idea... What Lens did you use?
Thanks Xavier. I was using the 24-105mm F4.

Nice one. You used the internal mic?
Thanks John. Yes, just the on-board mic.

I liked this! Sound was great - internal mic?
Thanks Paul. Yes, the on-board mic. The sound was absolutely thunderous as the locomotive passed underneath the footbridge that I was on. The floor of the bridge rumbled under me.

I do have a Rode mic that I bought a few years ago but I hardly do any video so embarrassingly I have never used it! It mounts on the camera hot shoe so I really should get it out and take it with me next time.

Is this the internal mic of the s5ii?
Yes Dirk, the internal mic.

I don't do much video but decided to give it a try today. This was shot hand-held with the S5II.
That was worth 1000 photos to me, the sound etc. is a big plus.

Remember that people tried to do video way back even before this train, you now have this amazing video equipment so why not use it? It's kind of crazy not to if you think about it.

Hopefully this is just the start of it for you (and me). Plus they are on YouTube forever and in 4k.

Daumenhoch

A couple in XPan format with the Sigma fp L and 35/2.

Filey Brigg

I'm starting to wonder just how long it'll be possible to walk along the top of the brigg: erosion is making it very narrow in places. It'd be interesting to see if I could find some photos from 10 and 20 (or more) years ago to compare.

Filey Bay

I need to stop taking photos around midday: the light is just too harsh in these, as it was for the photos of Flamborough I posted last month.

If I can be excused a non L-Mount photo, here's Filey Brigg on 3rd July 2006 (a rather foggy day!) with the Nikon D2X and 28-70 f/2.8 AF-S.

The erosion over 18 years is obvious, and the path down the side of the brigg that you can see about 4/5ths of the way along in this photo has long since gone.

That was worth 1000 photos to me, the sound etc. is a big plus.

Remember that people tried to do video way back even before this train, you now have this amazing video equipment so why not use it? It's kind of crazy not to if you think about it.

Hopefully this is just the start of it for you (and me). Plus they are on YouTube forever and in 4k.

Daumenhoch
Thanks!

Maybe I will have to start a thread soon to ask about tripods for video! Z04 975

A couple in XPan format with the Sigma fp L and 35/2.

Filey Brigg

I'm starting to wonder just how long it'll be possible to walk along the top of the brigg: erosion is making it very narrow in places. It'd be interesting to see if I could find some photos from 10 and 20 (or more) years ago to compare.

Filey Bay

I need to stop taking photos around midday: the light is just too harsh in these, as it was for the photos of Flamborough I posted last month.
Very nice. I love that Sigma 35mm.

Back