L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

*** October 2024 Image and Video Thread ***

The body is wicked, it must be punished. Out getting punished again. If I don't, I just seize up, and end up in pain. Vicious circle lol. S5 & EF 40 pancake. It's a great little lens, pity the adapter makes it that much larger
241007s-P1013805.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/1300 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100
241007s-P1013802.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • 40.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/1300 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

Wow - that's really excellent. Is it really only a 490mm lens? Surely you need much higher magnification to get the Andromeda this large in the frame?
Astro field-of-view a function of the telescope focal length and aperture, the camera sensor size, and the pixel pitch. A good 500-800mm telescope can tighten up on a host of nebulae and larger galactic bodies, although it's pretty much useless for planets and smaller or further-distant deep space objects, even with a full-frame sensor like the S5's; go to an APS-C or M43 sensor and it gets even tighter, almost too tight for a target the size of Andromeda.

Andromeda is really a huge galaxy, often visible with the naked eye on a clear moonless night - it's something like 150,000 light-years wide, if I recall correctly. But in all candor I did also crop the finished .jpg a bit to better accentuate the galaxy.

I've been blathering about astrophotography for a while now, since I joined up here. Here's the first test: M31 - The Andromeda Galaxy.
75 stacked images, shot on two nights last week and processed this weekend in Siril, and finalized in Photoshop Elements 2020 for sharing because the final .PNG file coming out of Siril is like 168Mb...
I’d love to see you talk more about stacking software… I tried using it for the July 2020 comet, but without much luck. Your pic is beautiful. :)

Andromeda is really a huge galaxy, often visible with the naked eye on a clear moonless night
You need about Bortle 4 sky with your eyes adjusted for the darkness to see it with your eyes and obviously it's nothing like your stacked light gathered image.

I can remember last seeing it with my eyes down in the Mourne mountains hiking at night and it was maybe 1/100th the majesty of your capture.

As for the size yes, if we had stacking and huge aperture pupils available to our eyes along with zero light pollution Andromeda would be the width of the full moon.

:oops:

I don't do much video but decided to give it a try today. This was shot hand-held with the S5II. Video details are: MP4, 4K, 10-bit 25p (I really don't know what I'm talking about! :p). It is SOOC with no editing.
I like it!!

You need about Bortle 4 sky with your eyes adjusted for the darkness to see it with your eyes and obviously it's nothing like your stacked light gathered image.
That wasn't the point of my size reference. Obviously an accumulation of over three hours of light data at selective wavelengths will look a lot different than the instantaneous broadband image that the human eye gathers. That and the noise reduction are the whole point of image stacking.
As for the size yes, if we had stacking and huge aperture pupils available to our eyes along with zero light pollution Andromeda would be the width of the full moon.
Yep. That's what I was addressing; the fact that a 490mm telescope can indeed capture an image like this. And I did say I'd cropped it, right?

That wasn't the point of my size reference. Obviously an accumulation of over three hours of light data at selective wavelengths will look a lot different than the instantaneous broadband image that the human eye gathers. That and the noise reduction are the whole point of image stacking.

Yep. That's what I was addressing; the fact that a 490mm telescope can indeed capture an image like this. And I did say I'd cropped it, right?
My previous post was for the general community, most with no astro experience, not intended as a rebutt to you :)

Ah... Mea culpa. My apologies for misreading you.
This was the only astro telescope I ever used... 1000018092.jpg
Not for photography but photometry, it's based outside Inca, Mallorca and I remotely controlled it from my PC in Belfast.

It was clouded much of the week we had access to it for an OU UK astrophysics undergraduate research project on a dual star system so no free play time for Andromeda photos.

It was 17" aperture, maybe 1.5-2m focal length or so. I remember it was a square 1600 pixel sensor which had to be cooled to -20C.

Weirdly I've little interest in this any longer, the science is uber-geek but no doubt a few of my team mates then are now pHD going on professor. I wasn't as excited as they were about the data

I was in Paris for four days last week with the S5 and Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/2 (and a couple of old Takumars) but used the 24-70mm almost exclusively, so I'll be posting photos from that trip over the next while. Paris is one of my favourite cities and a great place to take photos. Last time I was there, in 2016, I shot mostly film (and enjoyed it greatly) but this time it was purely digital.

Here are some B&W photos with the 24-70mm.

54039021800_ec3cc25c08_c.jpg
Louvre
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

54039024810_947f371cbf_c.jpg
Paris

54044093773_efcbf98236_c.jpg
The diver

Back