L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

*** April 2023 Image & Video Thread

Must be quite a feeling Paul. I have gifted Midland Gliding Club experiences to several family and friends over the years, still to get the courage to do it myself even though I imagine it's a wonderful experience.
Ah, The Long Mynd. Lovely location. Go and do it. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.

The view over Wales last October (yes, they are my knees!).
I like that picture! Powered pilot here. I spent a little time learning sailplanes but finally decided I could only afford one expensive hobby. But it is a really great experience.

Good Lord Paul, you're brave.
Wow, that is strange to me. As well as the earlier "looks terrifying" post. I've been a pilot all of my adult life, and much of the reason is the wonderful views I get. I've been over most of North America in small aircraft with this birds eye perspective, and Paul's picture looked as perfection to me. It has never occurred to me to think bravery or terror for a shot like this. It is so interesting what others see in a picture, based on their background and experiences.

Wow, that is strange to me. As well as the earlier "looks terrifying" post. I've been a pilot all of my adult life, and much of the reason is the wonderful views I get. I've been over most of North America in small aircraft with this birds eye perspective, and Paul's picture looked as perfection to me. It has never occurred to me to think bravery or terror for a shot like this. It is so interesting what others see in a picture, based on their background and experiences.

Well, I guess it's what you're used to!

I have been on flights in the past in small prop aircraft like a Cessna and in a few helicopters (once in Maui and another over the Great Ocean Road in Victoria) but I wouldn't go out of my way to do that any more. I am definitely less risk taking that I used to be, and light aircraft do not have the same safety levels as commercial aircraft.

No doubt the views can be stunning. I just do not enjoy flying. Even large commercial jets cause me much stress and anxiety. The prospect of a glider actually feels a somewhat safer concept to me as there are fewer moving parts to rely on, and your in a kind of gradual controlled descent.

Speaking of planes, this website (or app) offers real-time information about the planes that are flying around the world. If a photographer practices "Aircraft spotting" or wants to know which plane is flying in the sky (or above his head) in the landscape they are photographing, this website may be interesting.

You can see how commercial flights avoid flying over the areas of the world that are at war right now...

I guess I prefer to appreciate aircraft from the ground. I've discovered I have a number of pretty decent pictures of small aircraft in flight... This isn't really intentional, I just happen to visit several places that are directly under the flight path of some small airfields. They also happen to be places where I've typically gone equipped with a telephoto lens.

Piper PA-34-200T Seneca II by Peter North, on Flickr

Back