L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Rumors Panasonic new camera rumor roundup

I seems it will be very small, something like the Sigma FP, without EVF. I just hope it has IBIS, PDAF and it is weather sealed.
I would use it mostly as a 3rd 'interview' camera.
IBIS and weather sealing are than not necessarily, 10-bit and V-log are.

Although you never now, perhaps I would want to use it also as light travel cam...

However for a vlogging camera of decent quality I would expect some kind of IBIS, digital IS gives artifacts...

It seems that the Sony ZV line is selling a lot, to the point that brings the half of the money that Sony get from camera market.

I think that Lumix needs to bring more people to the L-Mount system, and this move could help. In times of Youtube, Tiktok, Vlogs, Instagram, etc. this is the stuff that moves the money. And if this money motivates Lumix to give us a FF RF style camera and a couple of pancake lenses it is of course welcome.

I don't know yet if this new one is a camera for my use cases, it could be, lets see the specs, it depends on the lens mainly, but I think that Lumix will bring to the market this year their version of the Leica SL3 for sure.

Articulating screen is... nice, but I use the S5's maybe 10% of the time, if that. I can see where it's important to many people, but I wouldn't miss it
If the Italian Youtuber is correct it is a smaller S5ii intended for vloggers which makes sense for them but not photographers. I've already said above about the big lenses not being ideal and photography IQ not being required for such a camera crying out for 180g pancakes.

Interesting point about the articulating screen, since switching from Pentax K-70 (which had same articulation) I can now usually keep the back screen closed with the EVF... No chimping required! Talking from experience I totally need full articulation using ground level, astro landscapes etc. A fixed screen camera is a no no.

If you accept a fixed screen you accept the restriction where you won't need a flippy screen. I remember Pentaxians arguing that a fixed screen is only for vloggers, absolutely not and essential for photographers like me. A great example is interior photography of buildings and others from ground level, churches, houses, concerts, landscapes etc. literally get a new perspective and we often forget this walking around with the camera around 5-6 feet above the ground...

Rather than guess you can compose and nail it with the flippy screen, there is no purpose to fixing the screen but visit Pentax forums for that argument which they put in their 'flagship' APS-C camera whilst my "entry" K-70 had it LoL
Z04 Wife

I think that Lumix needs to bring more people to the L-Mount system, and this move could help. In times of Youtube, Tiktok, Vlogs, Instagram, etc. this is the stuff that moves the money.
Remember, the only part of the world where the grow is substantional is China... And they don't have too much money to spend. This is definitely not only for the western market.
There not all the cards are shuffled yet, the same with the next generation in the western world.

It seems that the Sony ZV line is selling a lot, to the point that brings the half of the money that Sony get from camera market.
Hopefully that will also assist the AF development to be competitive across all Lumix PDAF cameras as this is the success factor, and hopefully for photographers this translates also as this really is the key factor. From what I've seen the ZV is currently better and Lumix have to catch up but I'm sure they know it if I'm saying it.

Remember, the only part of the world where the grow is substantional is China... And they don't have too much money to spend. This is definitely not only for the western market.
There not all the cards are shuffled yet, the same with the next generation in the western world.
You mean the cyclical economic break down which cannot happen in this pre-WW3 era? :D

I'm hoping my new camera is nuke proof

After using an Olympus E-P5 (with clip-on EVF), I vowed I'd never buy another camera without an integrated EVF. After using an LX100, which had a fixed rear screen, I vowed I'd never buy a camera without a tilting or articulating rear screen. It seems to me that the step up in size to a "real" camera is mostly about usability and forsaking either an EVF or tilting rear screen compromises that objective significantly. It's why the Sigma fp/fpL has never interested me.

I also can't believe that size/weight is the issue. The Sony A7C is really tiny and light and has both an EVF and a tilting rear screen.

Last edited:
Interesting point about the articulating screen, since switching from Pentax K-70 (which had same articulation) I can now usually keep the back screen closed with the EVF... No chimping required! Talking from experience I totally need full articulation using ground level, astro landscapes etc. A fixed screen camera is a no no.
Yeah, I’ve used articulating screens for Astro shooting and low/high shots.

That’s the 10% of my shooting I was talking about.

As I said, I can see the point. But for me, it’s a very rare use case, and I have the S5 (and my E-M1 II, which I’d rather use for the Astro shooting I’ve done anyway; it’s all been the moon, comets, the eclipse, etc., and the 2x crop factor is an advantage there) for that.

(Also, frankly, I’m getting old enough that low-angle shots are uncomfortable no matter if I bend over or squat down; at least squatting is more stable and I’m not trying to hold the camera steady at arm’s length.)

I also can't believe that size/weight is the issue. The Sony A7C is really tiny and light and has both an EVF and a tilting rear screen.

It's probably intended as a challenger to the Sony ZV series: DPReview preview of the ZV-E1

A couple of quotes from that review:

It first made the ZV-1, an RX100 with a flip-out screen, better mics and no viewfinder. Then it introduced the ZV-E10, an a6100 with a flip-out screen, better mics and no viewfinder. Then came the stripped-down ZV-1F with a fixed ultrawide prime lens and disappointing autofocus. And now we have the ZV-E1, which is essentially an FX3 with a flip-out screen, vlogging mics and no viewfinder.

and, most tellingly:

...it feels to me that the ZV-E1 is perhaps the least 'DPReview' camera we've ever received.

Yeah, I’ve used articulating screens for Astro shooting and low/high shots.

That’s the 10% of my shooting I was talking about.

As I said, I can see the point. But for me, it’s a very rare use case, and I have the S5 (and my E-M1 II, which I’d rather use for the Astro shooting I’ve done anyway; it’s all been the moon, comets, the eclipse, etc., and the 2x crop factor is an advantage there) for that.

(Also, frankly, I’m getting old enough that low-angle shots are uncomfortable no matter if I bend over or squat down; at least squatting is more stable and I’m not trying to hold the camera steady at arm’s length.)
Sorry for your back... Never good! However flippy screen sounds possibly like your saviour and never considered amongst those fixed screen is better nutters, and if they had it they would say otherwise.

Those 10% or even one photo is good enough for capability as otherwise you can't do it, same with HHHR and other functionality.

Okay this is just my hunch - but I think I found some cheeky pre-release footage from the new body:

1. He mentions he's on a new camera that's still "secret"
2. He says he will be doing an unboxing for the camera in a few weeks (syncing rumored announcement date of new body)
3. At the end, he reveals he's looking into a flippy screen

The footage itself is nothing too exciting and he's using a fairly heavy glimmer glass filter (on maybe a 24 1.8?), but either way just thought it was of mild interest to you all

he sais

Now compact camera lovers can buy the Lumix S9 instead of a Ricoh GR or FujiFilm X100VI. it will have about the same size, about the same price but you get the benefit of higher Image Quality thanks to the use of the excellent 25Mp Full Frame sensor.

First, the Fuji X100VI is not really small. It is rather big. The Ricoh GR is very small. Therefore I do not understand his comparison.

If it has a similar size to the Fuji X100, the Sigma Fp might be even smaller.

Second the price. To which price does he refer to? The S5mkii prica at launch in January 2023 or the current street price? That alone is a 500€ gap.

Even if it is 1800€-300€ =1500€, it is still expensive for not having a viewfinder. The Sigma fp is in a similar range.

I am really curious. But there are many alternatives out there. This will not be an easy sell. We will see how attractive Panasonic's offer will be in terms of price, size and performance.

I guess the new features for "content creators" should be something different to the LUT option that we already know from the S5II/X...

I can only imagine the option to edit the videos in camera with Adobe Rush and share them online in Instagram, Tiktok, Youtube, etc. Maybe the camera has smartphone capabilities to download certain apps or something similar.

I have no idea, but I have some fun guessing.

Back