L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Lumix Lab arrives in Play Store

What a disaster, it doesn't want to work with S5ii firmware 3.0

On the camera connection screen following the instructions gets you this:

Screenshot_2024-05-30-00-50-08-597_com.panasonic.jp.lumixlab-edit.jpgIMG_20240530_003719.jpg
  • Xiaomi - 24069PC21G
  • 4.9 mm
  • ƒ/1.6
  • 1/10 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • ISO 1600

On step 3. Select Bluetooth Pairing, following options are ON/OFF/SET and choosing ON/SET brings up the screen above.

I manually connected both BlueTooth and WiFi from phone and even paird the 2nd screen above showingvthe rear camera LCD switched to Pairing failed.

I couldn't get any further, the instructions in the app above for BlueTooth pairing aren't even correct for S5ii.

Great job Panasonic, all that LUT hype and you can't even connect S5ii with the app. Z04 Hinterherjagen

Please calm down. In all YouTube reviews and in the official stream they said that it will work at the moment with the S9 only and they will add S5ii an G9ii later.

The S9 is even not available yet. So please manage the expectations. Z04 Troest

Please calm down. In all YouTube reviews and in the official stream they said that it will work at the moment with the S9 only and they will add S5ii an G9ii later.
As I understood it, you can currently download the camera pictures with LUMIX Sync as usual. And then you can edit them with LUMIX Lab. Eventually, but when is not known, you will be able to download the pictures with LUMIX Lab. When that version of LUMIX Lab is available there will also be firmware updates for S5II/S5IIx/G9II to make the cameras compatible with LUMIX Lab.

Well they didn't communicate that on their website and "Expected to be compatible with: DC-S5M2、DC-S5M2X、DC-G9M2" doesn't explain that either.

I wasted nearly 3 hours trying to get it working Z04 Motzer as I'm an obsessed clinical maniac.
The S9 is even not available yet. So please manage the expectations. Z04 Troest
When you release software with all that YouTube hype you expect it to work. For certain the S5ii will need a firmware update to make it compatible with the functionality of Lumix Labs app or the app needs work to recognise different cameras. I got it paired via BT and Wifi but not via the app (as it doesn't work) and the app didn't recognise the pairing of the camera and phone... this does not look good if the Labs app couldn't know it was paired.

On a similar note why is the S5ii with 802.11ac wifi only transferring files at around 6MB/s when 20x the speed is possible. Why does pairing with BT 5.0 for geo-tagging drain the battery so much?

The camera companies are so poor with all this and hence why due to the hype around the supposed super fluid workflow using Lumix Labs I am rather sceptical, and hence why others comment on comparisons with Apple smart phone social media integration is the standard a supposed young hipster content creator expects.

Vintage users like the Pentax cultists may think this doesn't matter but it really does in 2024.

As I understood it, you can currently download the camera pictures with LUMIX Sync as usual. And then you can edit them with LUMIX Lab
Nope you can't do anything with it beyond my screenshots above. It doesn't recognise the pairing and stops dead, I tried it and even tried it with Lumix Sync app paired also... Impossible!

At least this Lightroom Mobile now has video editing and I've the latest 12GB 512GB Snapdragon 8S Gen 3 phone to do it on, just started so don't know how capable LR is for video editing but it instantaneous.

Only tried exposure and filters so far. I can now use this and maybe I'll forget about this LUT hype and Labs. Besides I couldn't care less about using Alaskan Mike's polar bear LUT. :p I'm not sure it handles MOV files though, not sure Lumix Labs does either given the mp4 lite thing but surely the camera itself can apply LUT to MOV.

I do like Oleksandr Usyk's rabbit LUT for videoing boxing Z04 Zeter01

Nope you can't do anything with it beyond my screenshots above. It doesn't recognise the pairing and stops dead, I tried it and even tried it with Lumix Sync app paired also... Impossible!

You can't pair LUMIX lab with cameras other than the S9, yet. S5II, S5IIX and G9II will be compatible with a later firmware update. That's what "expected to be compatible" means. The S5 and other earlier models won't be compatible.

But you can work with Lumix Lab with every image file. You can use it for images you've imported with LUMIX sync. You als can use it with files from the camera of your smartphone or other images files on your phone. But for now unfortunately JPEG only.

Maybe it is a language thing. I am obviously not a native speaker. But "to be expected" sounds for me more like "will come in the near future".

I mean, if they would think, that it is working now already, why should they say "to be expected"? They could have tested it then with 3 cameras beforehand and then write "it is compatible".

Maybe it is a language thing. I am obviously not a native speaker. But "to be expected" sounds for me more like "will come in the near future".

I mean, if they would think, that it is working now already, why should they say "to be expected"? They could have tested it then with 3 cameras beforehand and then write "it is compatible".
It's unprofessional, "to be expected" is a purposefully vague term and can be in circumstances a misnomer or simply a divergence to for an excuse for it simply not happening. It leaves users and potential buyers in the dark and following all this LUT hype makes it look like BS.

As soon as you accept and let people off the hook you start the Pentax slide, oh it's OK we don't need that or will wait on this never happening. If they were serious I wouldn't have wasted 3 hours trying to get Lunix Labs trying to work and with all their hyoe I was really looking forward to it and buying a new phone to use it on.

So yes I'm pissed off after all this hype and buying a new phone to use it. They didn't produce the goods nor explained why it wouldn't work on S5ii.

So yes I'm pissed off after all this hype and buying a new phone to use it. They didn't produce the goods nor explained why it wouldn't work on S5ii.

I understand your disappointment, but to be fair, they made the app for the S9 and marketed it only in conjunction with the real time LUTs and smal 4k open gate, which no other Lunix camera has.

So, do not expect any compatibility until there is a FW update for other camera to offer the same features the S9 already has.

And beat in mind, that this new app dies not have yet the features of the old app

Furthermore if they actually were professional making Lumix Labs app compatible for existing S5ii etc. they would have had a host of reviews and uploads showing this working and even I was going to do it.

Cmon this was crap and a major let down after all the hype.

Furthermore if they actually were professional making Lumix Labs app compatible for existing S5ii etc. they would have had a host of reviews and uploads showing this working and even I was going to do it.

Cmon this was crap and a major let down after all the hype.
I'd be demanding a refund of every, single, cent of the money I paid for that app. Obviously not fit for purpose Z04 Kaputtlachen Z04 Kaputtlachen Z04 Kaputtlachen

I understand your disappointment, but to be fair, they made the app for the S9 and marketed it only in conjunction with the real time LUTs and smal 4
No way was this only for S9, how did you conclude that? Why would it be given extra capabilities over S5ii? That makes no sense whatsoever! WTF

No way was this only for S9, how did you conclude that? Why would it be given extra capabilities over S5ii? That makes no sense whatsoever! WTF
No it wasn't/isn't just for the S9. It's just that it was developed around the S9, so it makes perfect sense to release it first with that camera. Panasonic has said it's coming for the other cameras listed, you just have to have a little bit of patience.

No it wasn't/isn't just for the S9. It's just that it was developed around the S9, so it makes perfect sense to release it first with that camera. Panasonic has said it's coming for the other cameras listed, you just have to have a little bit of patience.

exactly.

I transferred the raw image via Sync, then imported it into the Lab. And I can't apply LUT. It seemed to me that in one of the videos they said that it would be possible to develop with the selected LUT right in the camera. Or am I confusing something?

Back