L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

*** June 2024 Image and Video Thread ***

pdk42

I know I've been away a bit (sorry, too much other stuff on) so I missed setting up the May thread. So to compensate, here is an early June thread with a few starters from me.

Usual rules apply, so feel free to post images taken earlier - the only constraint is that the image should be taken with an L mount camera (and lens, obviously!).

There was a May thread.

Nice photos and the first one has the pop I talked about, not sure you were convinced but you just showed it and I've been getting good pop from the 24-105 also.

Good uses of LUTs for these Paul :p

I can't find the May thread, maybe there wasn't one?

Anyway a very heavy crop of a colony of baby spiders, don't sure which species, probablt the common garden spider. I'm surprised they haven't been munched by birds in this tight form. When I blew on them they dispersed. This was closest focus with 24-105 at 105mm._1000921.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 24-105/F4
  • 105.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • Other
  • ISO 2500

I can't find the May thread, maybe there wasn't one?

Anyway a very heavy crop of a colony of baby spiders, don't sure which species, probablt the common garden spider. I'm surprised they haven't been munched by birds in this tight form. When I blew on them they dispersed. This was closest focus with 24-105 at 105mm.View attachment 4541
Creepy, but fascinating.

Went out with my new Sigma 70-200 f2.8
Nice heron! I like them. I think we're on a migratory route, because there's a couple of local parks with ponds where you'll see them show up in the spring and fall.

There's one I think has stopped here for 2-3 years, now; looks the same and behaves similarly.

Still played with animals with the 70-300 (electronic shutter, pre-burst activated, AF mode 3 or 4 with animal eye-body . How to know if the lense has a problem like a decentring?

P1039500 - Grande.jpeg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • 235.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.5
  • 1/500 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 1000

P1039414 - Grande.jpeg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 70-300/F4.5-5.6
  • 300.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/1000 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 640

Heavily cropped. But I was surprised that the AF recognized the eye of this one (I suspect it took his head for an eye).

P1039645 - Grande.jpeg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/800 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 500

Sorry for the bad quality. After trying to upload the image on different plateforms, I decided to use the Macbook tool to compress the images quickly, in order to put them easily here. It's not a good compressing tool as I can find the quality degraded, but I didn't want to waste more time to find the good ratio quality/size in Photoshop. That would be nice if the forum could reduce automatically the size and weight of our photos.

How to know if the lense has a problem like a decentring?
To check for decentering you will have to take some photos of a static subject with details across the frame from edge to edge. I suggest a photo of a large building or structure of some type so that the details on each side of the image are the same distance from the camera. Landscape shots can be difficult due to differing depth of foliage, the shallow depth of field you will have at the telephoto end, and you need to keep the shutter speed up to eliminate movement from wind. Taking the photos in good light will also be helpful.

You're better with test charts or anything with similar details and everything exactly parallel and chart at 90°. It used CDs for each corner and a post it note for middle, basically anything with details.

That's how I knew my 70-300 was perfect before I took it outside.

Don't be so surprised the AF detect is great :D

Heavily cropped. But I was surprised that the AF recognized the eye of this one (I suspect it took his head for an eye).
I've noticed even on my S5, that it manages to hit the eye, even if the cross hair's don't even show up over the head. I'm guessing that the AF system takes an educated guess, which is more often than not correct, as long as the system recognizes that it's a human/animal. My G9 displayed very similar tendencies, and early on, Panasonic did say that the camera had deep learning capabilities. I'm wondering if that's continued through a bit, even on newer models, but just not really mentioned any more. Like I wrote, my G9 has an uncanny ability to pick out faces and eyes, even when face/eye detect is not being used

Here's a selection of shots I took, mostly at f1.8-2 I think, that give a pretty good idea of just how good the animal eye detect is, even on the older contrast detect S5. I'll just post the link, as they were shot last month. I've left the file names intact, you can see it's not just a case of spray and pray, then pick the best, but that it actually does work. Well

Back