L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Well it seems (at last) that I have a tele zoom I'm happy with !

I should add I've also got a Lumix G9 paired with the wonderful Panasonic 50-200 2.8-4 lens. In fact it is so great that I often myself carrying the S1R and the G9, which is less than ideal. Ideally I'd retire the G9 and the Panaleica 50-200 (with the 1.4x teleconverter) for occasional wildlife/birding.
Lenses like the 50-200 f2.8, and the OM 300 f4 are really compelling reasons to use m43 for longer lenses. If I ever get into wildlife or sports, I'll not buy longer lenses for FF, but will buy a G9ii and the 50-200.

Lenses like the 50-200 f2.8, and the OM 300 f4 are really compelling reasons to use m43 for longer lenses. If I ever get into wildlife or sports, I'll not buy longer lenses for FF, but will buy a G9ii and the 50-200.
At least now you have constant f4 with 24-200 in two separate lenses. 200 f4 is good for sports if your 70-200 f4 focusses as fast as others on S5ii (you have this right? Not your S1r).

As I said before I'm loving the 70-300 for video using the 4k50 High E-Stab giving 630mm equivalent and fabulous IQ. I should really upload my sparrows at feeder video using it with the fabulous sticky AF detection/tracking.

Thanks a lot Paul, that's more than helpful! This is honestly the best comparative analysis I have read regarding all three lenses, and boy have I looked online.

I also agree with your point about the strengths of the M43 ecosystem for long telephoto lenses. In fact, you have convinced me to keep my G9+50-200 (with the 1.4X teleconverter) for wildlife shots (or as a second body when I shoot events - I still have the wonderful Panasonic Leica 8-18 f2.8 - f4 lens!).

It looks like the 70-300 is a winner for my needs. I have a trip to Martinique coming up... sounds like the perfect occasion to splash out for once!

Until the S1RII comes out with a state-of-the-art phase-detect AF system, then I'll also get the Samyang 35-150 F2 - F2.8 for my sports photography and I'll be happy but broke!

Thanks a lot Paul, that's more than helpful! This is honestly the best comparative analysis I have read regarding all three lenses, and boy have I looked online.

I also agree with your point about the strengths of the M43 ecosystem for long telephoto lenses. In fact, you have convinced me to keep my G9+50-200 (with the 1.4X teleconverter) for wildlife shots (or as a second body when I shoot events - I still have the wonderful Panasonic Leica 8-18 f2.8 - f4 lens!).

It looks like the 70-300 is a winner for my needs. I have a trip to Martinique coming up... sounds like the perfect occasion to splash out for once!

Until the S1RII comes out with a state-of-the-art phase-detect AF system, then I'll also get the Samyang 35-150 F2 - F2.8 for my sports photography and I'll be happy but broke!
Speaking of the devil: it looks like the Samyang 35-150 lens is coming VERY soon: https://www.l-rumors.com/samyang-af-35-150mm-f2-2-8-lens-for-l-mount-officially-announced-in-the-uk/

It looks like the 70-300 is a winner for my needs
You could be surprised how good it is, I tested mine against my 1990s top of the range Pentax F* 300 f4.5 prime and it at least matched it for resolution and had better contrast resulting in more accutance resulting in better resolution with more micro details when really pixel peeping. I was quite shocked by my findings but there you go.

It's probably the best lens I have ever owned and the 0.5x macro is so good on it, I posted a few flowers on the May thread, it does everything so well including bokeh having 11 blades.

Looks like Sigma’s 28-45 f1.8 is about to drop too
Listed yesterday in Wex UK £1299

The new Samyang with considerably more range and not a huge difference to constant f1.8 which seems more video niche in a much shorter range. I'm not buying either but if I had to choose a free one... ;)

I kept my Minolta-A 100-200/4.5, just in case. Plenty of room in the 50-250 range for a few other zooms, a slow (small) one would be nice. It seems that every L-mount telephoto zoom is designed for S1/r scale bodies not S5/9/fp.

I kept my Minolta-A 100-200/4.5, just in case. Plenty of room in the 50-250 range for a few other zooms, a slow (small) one would be nice. It seems that every L-mount telephoto zoom is designed for S1/r scale bodies not S5/9/fp.
Not likely, S1R and 28-200 is not designed for one another. The smaller bodies moreso, especially S9. The popular 24-105 and 70-309 zooms fit nicely on S5/S5ii cameras.

I imagine 28-200 is nice on S9

The heavier 70-200 f4 or f2.8 fits both S1R/S5/S5ii.

s9 or FP... But you can do it

Adapted old MF lenses mostly suck, including mine, unless they have distinctive unique bokeh or 3D pop etc. But let that Minokta loose but it's never going to match a Lumix 70-300 and without AF why even bother?

I tried all this with top end Pentax primes and quickly wised up, even for tripod stills it wasn't as good. You are wasting your photography time with this old equipment.

I have both an S1R and S5, and the 28-200 works fine on both. It does not feel "oversized" on the S5. Quite the opposite. The 28-200 is, in fact, a perfect example of a "small but slow" zoom. Pair it with the 14-28 and you have a highly competent & versatile two-lens kit.

Having said that, if you are specifically looking for a small & slow tele lens, as opposed to a all-in-one zoom, then I agree that does not exist yet. A slow, variable aperture 70-200 would be a great compliment to the 20-60. I just wonder how much lighter than the 28-200 it would actually be.

Tamron caused the same "problem" for fE mount with its 28-200. Who wants to design and produce a 35-135, 50-200 or 70-210 when the known and well liked 28-200 can do the same job? In the L world though, an adapted 200/4.5 is ~1½ stops faster, and for me that starts to feel unreasonable.

I can punt the AF tele for six months, so my budget can recharge. In the meantime the 28-200 definitely appears to do the job for many of you and that's great! Daumenhoch Smilie

Back