L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Well it seems (at last) that I have a tele zoom I'm happy with !

Unfortunately the S1/S1R was not in focus for new functions since years. Only the compatibility to new lenses was causing updates, but nothing else. The 2.0 update for the S1R was one of the biggest jokes in camera history for a 2.0 update with this name…
Even with the older processor and interfaces the S1/S1R could be much better today, when some good updates would be released. No we have to see what a new model will be capable of…

I'm generally happy with the features on my S1R. Its most annoying characteristic is the way that the battery goes flat when the camera is not being used. It would be good if they could fix that via a firmware update, but I suspect it's a hardware issue.

That is not different from an older Sony 7 I or II camera, my ex-partner is using.
Even the Panasonic batteries are losing power over time, when taking out of the camera itself.
I always have to give a (short) extra charge, of my spare batteries when I go on a photo trip.

I'm generally happy with the features on my S1R. Its most annoying characteristic is the way that the battery goes flat when the camera is not being used. It would be good if they could fix that via a firmware update, but I suspect it's a hardware issue.
I did not recognize this behavior with the original battery. At least not on the same level as for 3rd party batteries. I had my S1R with the original battery inside and not used for 2-3 week in my camera bag and the battery was not empty. With a 3rd party batterie after 1 week it‘s nearly empty.

Unfortunately the S1/S1R was not in focus for new functions since years. Only the compatibility to new lenses was causing updates, but nothing else. The 2.0 update for the S1R was one of the biggest jokes in camera history for a 2.0 update with this name…
Even with the older processor and interfaces the S1/S1R could be much better today, when some good updates would be released. No we have to see what a new model will be capable of…
True, I was hoping to see some features like live composite or getting the AF update at the S1 or S5 got it.
But perhaps issue there is the combo ob the processor and sensor. Compute power is limited and the sensor quite unique.
Delivering the update to the S1, S1H and S5 is therefore easier and more economical because of the pure amount of cameras sold of these 3 models.

I am not missing much still by todays standard what might be possible to fix by an software update. The sensor IQ is still really good (except long exposure at high ISO), the IBIS is still really good, the HiRes Mode works well, colors are great…

I have some topics on my wishlist and everything would be firmware:
- editable list of lenses to choose from for manual lenses
- storing the focal length and lens name in the Exif data
- time counter during longtime exposures B
- option to set exposure bracketing with more than 1 stop
- option to use exposure bracketing together with high-res pictures (for HDR)

I‘m no action photographer and the AF works well for me except for one situation: portrait with backlight using fill in flash. That is a difficult situation (nearly black face), but here the camara looses focus completely! If it would focus somehow to the edge of the face (that should be possible) it would be ok. I think this situation is just not part of the AF implementation…

This is all just software and would improve the usability for me quite a lot. But as said, small improvements was nothing on the list for fw updates…

Back