L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Talk me in / out of selling my S1R

I am not saying remove the PASM dial! That way lies madness. :) I specified the dial on the left, with the timed shutter, etc.
Ah, ok. I agree - I could live without that, so long as I had a way to easily select drive modes (including self timer) from the screen.
I also didn't recommend removing the AF button. I was referring to the S/C/MF dial and button. I can't easily use these even on the S5. (Not sure what to call these things, so sorry for the continued confusion.)
Yes, I could live without that too, but it might be a useful control for people who change focus modes a lot.
This is all for a fictional smaller body, where we'd certainly need to lose something. The S5 has 25 controls. I can't imagine who needs that many!
I’m very happy with the S5 and use all the buttons and dials on it.
Certainly everyone has different needs, which is why the ability to customise the interface is essential. But I've also noticed how people will adapt to a standard even if it's far from ideal... then fight vociferously for it never to be changed. Case in point: the entire Apple ecosystem.
It’s all about muscle memory. It might not be ideal, but once we learn something it’s natural to want to keep it.
Anyway, this is now deviating from the original topic. Maybe a new thread?

Had one and sold it due to weight. Just too heavy. Also you really need to keep ISO down or it gets noisy. S5II now and I just use Hi Rez mode for landscapes, The motion blur reduction setting works great. My GH6 is also good I can do handheld High Rez

Had one and sold it due to weight. Just too heavy. Also you really need to keep ISO down or it gets noisy. S5II now and I just use Hi Rez mode for landscapes, The motion blur reduction setting works great. My GH6 is also good I can do handheld High Rez
I agree about the weight, and the size. It doesn't need to be that big. I also agree that its high ISO performance is poor, especially if you go lifting shadows. The S5 is much better.

Resolution vs. noise will always be a compromise, because as you cram more pixels into a given sensor, each one receives less light.

It's nice to have the choice. But I somehow doubt Panasonic will make another high MP camera like the S1R.

You can get similar results with the High Resolution Mode on the other models. So long as you don't need IBIS at the same time.

As a former Leica SL and later SL2 owner, and using the super (and heavy Leica SL 24-90mm lens), I understand the size/weight dilemma. I sold my SL2 and lens due arthritic physical challenges to carry it for a day. But I sure miss that high megapixel, full frame image capability. Your excellent S1R and lenses are equivalent in terms of image quality, as well as size/weight. That said, you say you are primarily a landscape photography (as am I), and in my opinion you should be parking that S1R sand lens onto a light-weight but sturdy carbon fiber tripod. That will not only alleviate the weight, but also force you to slow down, compose, and have the absolute best image stabilization possible. I shoot about 90% of my images (from flower macros, motorsports, landscapes, etc.) on an expensive Peak Design Travel Tripod. If I had your Lumix S1R, and didn't have knee problems, I'd keep it and use a tripod for your landscapes images. You may regret getting rid of it, unless to move into something equivalent in terms of high megapixels and full frame (Nikon Z7II, for example).

Has anyone done a detailed comparison between the S1R standard files and the high res mode on the 24mp models, say the S5 II?

I know the resolution will be higher in the high res mode but are there any artifacts that are apparent when shooting moving subjects, even slow moving ones like foliage, water, etc?

Has anyone done a detailed comparison between the S1R standard files and the high res mode on the 24mp models, say the S5 II?

I know the resolution will be higher in the high res mode but are there any artifacts that are apparent when shooting moving subjects, even slow moving ones like foliage, water, etc?
This is not a simple black&white issue, but i have done the comparisons, and if you are willing to work with the limitations of multi-shot (tripod) work, it is quite impressive! The S1r has a marvelous sensor, but it is more noisy than its 24mp sibling! I own s5 & s1r, and shoot both side-by-side. In basic hi-rez mode, the s5 matches S1r detail while exceeding its low-light DR performance.
In the old days i did various comparisons of G9 hi-rez vs my A7rii, and in terms of detail, they were very very close. And surprisingly it was not very difficult to get close in low-light night photography as well (!)

This is not a simple black&white issue, but i have done the comparisons, and if you are willing to work with the limitations of multi-shot (tripod) work, it is quite impressive! The S1r has a marvelous sensor, but it is more noisy than its 24mp sibling! I own s5 & s1r, and shoot both side-by-side. In basic hi-rez mode, the s5 matches S1r detail while exceeding its low-light DR performance.
In the old days i did various comparisons of G9 hi-rez vs my A7rii, and in terms of detail, they were very very close. And surprisingly it was not very difficult to get close in low-light night photography as well (!)
That's great to hear, thank you Rich. Do you have any sample comparison images you could share by any chance?

I got into L-mount with an S5 and I think it's a really great camera. But since I do a lot of landscape, I was tempted to try the 47Mp S1R. Used prices now are very good, so I thought "why not?". I've had the camera a month or so now and have used it quite a lot - firstly on a four-day trip to Scotland and then for a few shorter photo outings more locally.

In many ways I do like the camera. It definitely has a more robust and pro feel to it than the S5. The EVF is fantastic and I really appreciate the two-axis tilt mechanism on the rear screen - a way better design for landscape photographers than the fold out screen. Image quality of course is fantastic (so long as you keep the ISO low).

But it's a lump:

View attachment 158

Its size isn't crazy once you're using it - in fact, it feels pretty good in the hand. The problem comes when you're carrying it. It really is not a great camera for casual use. In the Billingham Hadley Pro shoulder bag I use, it's a squeeze to get it in and the weight means the bag hangs heavy on the shoulder after an hour or so of walking. Of course, I could get a backpack and that would fix it, but backpacks don't lend themselves well to spontaneity - they're great when you have a location in mind and you just head there, but getting the bag off your back when an interesting vista springs into view is a pain if it happens too often.

So, I need to make a decision. Do I:

- Sell it and stick just with the S5. The S5's IQ is pretty darned good and I don't print very large very often. There's always the S5's hi-res mode, or stitching, if I really want more Mp.

- Keep it and accept the weight. In other words, I should "man up and quit the whining" as an Aussie might say!

- Keep it, but reserve it for specific purposes - basically for targeted landscape locations. Get a nice back-pack and put it in there.

I know it's a decision only I can make, but I'd appreciate some views from other owners.
A sling bag might work better for a heavy camera like the S1R. I was getting back pain with the Hadley but now I'm very happy with a Mindshift Photocross 13. It seems very spacious for my S5ii so maybe the larger camera would fit. You carry it on your back over one shoulder and slide to the front for access.

A sling bag might work better for a heavy camera like the S1R. I was getting back pain with the Hadley but now I'm very happy with a Mindshift Photocross 13. It seems very spacious for my S5ii so maybe the larger camera would fit. You carry it on your back over one shoulder and slide to the front for access.
Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe if I weaken and re-buy into the S1R again, I’ll d that.

I use a Trekking strap with my S1R. It spreads the load evenly across your shoulders. Much better than a regular neck strap IMO.

In case you are looking for a very well made, long and comfortable strap to carry something like a S1R have a look to the straps from Lucky Straps.
I am using this one here and it is really superb. Quality is on a level at which it is likely that the strap will have a longer life-time then the S1R ;).

It is so long that is is no problem to carry the camera with the strap across the body. All leather and the black and red version fits well to the Panasonic black & red colors.

Back