L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Sigma 50mm f/2 DG DN Contemporary (I-Series)

The Lumix 50/1.8 is also superb, optically maybe even better than the Sigma. If you go for one then make sure to check it for fogging and to make sure it's a sharp copy. Of the three I've used one had fogging (but was excellent), one was very, very soft and the other (the one I have now) is perfect except for some internal dust.
Yeah, I've unfortunately been reading the dpreview threads about the lens issues, especially the 24-105. Maybe that's why my order was never delivered?

So basically then you can't buy these lenses blind or shouldn't do.
I still use my Pentax (and other) manual 50mm lenses, now more than ever as they're so much better on the S5 than on an APS-C Pentax DSLR. I wouldn't be without at least one AF fast fifty on the L-mount though - partly for the AF itself and partly because they're so much sharper wide open, they give a different look.
+1

The K55 f1.8 could be a favourite then, I even liked it on APSC but it was too telephoto. I'll hopefully try them all eventually. I did sell my M50 f1.4 a few years ago though.

I still use my Pentax (and other) manual 50mm lenses, now more than ever as they're so much better on the S5 than on an APS-C Pentax DSLR.
I wouldn't be without at least one AF fast fifty on the L-mount though - partly for the AF itself and partly because they're so much sharper wide open,
they give a different look.
Over the years I never was a dedicated AF user in general. (Even switched off AF in many cases when an AF lens was used).
But to focus quickly and accurately for people and portraits, especially at large and fully wide open aperture values.
By today's options for AF detection of people and eyes. I don't want to miss these AF options for these subjects any-more.
It can not be beaten by manual focusing. (Always some moving of subject, or me myself - manual focus takes to long. "Sparkling" moment is over).

Specially by the far better optic qualities at wide apertures of today's lenses. It can be fully used wide open.
(By the swallow DOF, it becomes a necessity for precise focusing).
Using my today "L-mount" primes exclusively at wider apertures. (50mm ---> F 1.4 to about F 2.8)

From my more early times.
E.g. having a manual Voigtländer Nokton 58mm/F1.4 - "SL" lens (having a Nikon mount), for its rendering.
I didn't use the utmost wide opening F 1.4, as it was "to soft" and hazy IMO. Only starting as from F 2.0 and up.
Although this focal length was a wonderful addition for doing portraiture on an APS-C sensor, as for the smaller angle of view.
(Comparable ~85mm lens used on Full Frame sensor body).

As by the better optics today, I make use of the older manual lenses "less and less".

Last edited:
Over the years I never was a dedicated AF user in general. (Even switched off AF in many cases when an AF lens was used).
But to focus quickly and accurately for people and portraits, especially at large and fully wide open aperture values.
By today's options for AF detection of people and eyes. I don't want to miss these AF options for these subjects any-more.
It can not be beaten by manual focusing. (Always some moving of subject, or me myself - manual focus takes to long. "Sparkling" moment is over).

Specially by the far better optic qualities at wide apertures of today's lenses. It can be fully used wide open.
(By the swallow DOF, it becomes a necessity for precise focusing).
Using my today "L-mount" primes exclusively at wider apertures. (50mm ---> F 1.4 to about F 2.8)

From my more early times.
E.g. having a manual Voigtländer Nokton 58mm/F1.4 - "SL" lens (having a Nikon mount), for its rendering.
I didn't use the utmost wide opening F 1.4, as it was "to soft" and hazy IMO. Only starting as from F 2.0 and up.
Although this focal length was a wonderful addition for doing portraiture on an APS-C sensor, as for the smaller angle of view.
(Comparable ~85mm lens used on Full Frame sensor body).

As by the better optics today, I make use of the older manual lenses "less and less".
I agree and I'll most likely go the same way with not using the legacy lenses I have. I have some nice ones with relatively high value I may probably sell for the new tech glass which besides useably sharp wide open also have better contast. I'll keep a few for the film cameras.

Reading your thread again reminds me how I need proper weather sealing as totally drenched last 2 sessions, today in a storm... Sigma Contemporary lens might have died?

Yeah, I've unfortunately been reading the dpreview threads about the lens issues, especially the 24-105. Maybe that's why my order was never delivered?

So basically then you can't buy these lenses blind or shouldn't do.
There would be 10's of thousands of these lenses sold, you never really hear from the happy customers. You do hear from unhappy amateur lens testers on interwebz forums though. Which tends to really distort the reality. Quite badly. Let me rectify that a fraction, mine (the S 50 f1.8) is sharp from edge to edge wide open, I bought it sight unseen for a whole $294 brand spanking new, on a Black Friday sale.
240106-P1000840.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • LUMIX S 50/F1.8
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/4000 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

I haven't tested the weather sealing on any of my Contemporary series lenses and I don't plan to - any time when there's the risk of rain or sand I use my sealed lenses.

This thread is for images from the Sigma 50mm f/2 DG DN lens rather than the Lumix 50/1.8.

Back