L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Share your photos with legacy lenses

I've started using my S5iiX to take photos for the HI-LO Trail project I've been working on for a few months. The attached photo was taken using a recently-purchased, very old Nikon 70-210mm f4.5-f5.6 zoom lens (at 210mm, f16) via a "Fotasy NK-L L" adapter. This is a center-crop of a 96MP high-res image. Processed in Affinity Photo 2.5.3 and Pixelmator Pro 3.6.4.

I paid $68 US for the lens, and a few dollars less for the adapter. :)

I'm not sure if this URL will work, but here goes ...
Cherries

Last edited:
I've started using my S5iiX to take photos for the HI-LO Trail project I've been working on for a few months. The attached photo was taken using a recently-purchased, very old Nikon 70-210mm f4.5-f5.6 zoom lens (at 210mm, f16) via a "Fotasy NK-L L" adapter. This is a center-crop of a 96MP high-res image. Processed in Affinity Photo 2.5.3 and Pixelmator Pro 3.6.4.

I paid $68 US for the lens, and a few dollars less for the adapter. :)

I'm not sure if this URL will work, but here goes ...
Cherries
That's a great photo Peter!

I'm not sure if this URL will work, but here goes
Better posting photos here but yum they look nice. I have loads of cherry trees but the blackbirds and wiid pigeons get them. Actually the wood pigeons just ruin them and there are 100s of them lying ruined on the driveway as they just seem to rip them off. :mad:

Better posting photos here but yum they look nice. I have loads of cherry trees but the blackbirds and wiid pigeons get them. Actually the wood pigeons just ruin them and there are 100s of them lying ruined on the driveway as they just seem to rip them off. :mad:
Thanks Oiche & Pete! I forgot to mention I shot the photo of the cherries as RAW (I only shoot RAW).

Concerning posting images here, I read the instructions about how to post photos, and found it confusing (I'm easily confused). So, since I already have a free Wordpress account, I uploaded it there (drag & drop) and linked to the photo there. I've never had a Flickr account; I try to keep the my internet subscriptions to a minimum. :)

The reasons I shot the photo of the cherries with the old Nikon zoom: I had it with me, and my Lumix 20-60mm didn't have enough reach (the cherries were about 3-meters above my head). Although, I wish I'd also snapped a shot using the 20-60mm at 60mm in APS-C crop, and separately in 96MP hi-res mode, to see how the sharpness compared when those images were cropped to the same size as what I did here with the Nikon at 210mm. I wouldn't be surprised if the 20-60mm looked sharper, but of course the perspective compression would be different. I'll do this comparison soon. L-mount and the S5iiX makes for a wonderfully flexible camera system!

S5 and Konica Hexanon 40mm f/1.8 at f/2.8

View attachment 5940
Greenest of greens by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
A "terribly" beautiful photo! ;) No, really, it's lovely!

Funny thing: "English Ivy" is a most-dreaded invasive plant here in Pacific Northwest US. It strangles even giant trees & smothers-out most other plants. We do considerable work pulling it out by its roots everywhere we see it, but it soon spreads from somewhere nearby and has to be pulled out again. However, I have to admit, before we kill it, it makes a lovely green carpet. Cheers!

Is that English Ivy? It was taken close to my house in Madrid. I've no idea about identifying plants but sometimes think I should get one of these phone apps that does just that.

Sailboarder catching air yesterday in the Columbia River Gorge at Hood River, Oregon. A 24MP RAW photo taken with my S5iiX and an old Nikkor 70-210mm f4.5-f56 manual lens, at 210mm, f11, 1/640th sec, ISO 640.

Attachments

• 240712 PJD Columbia River sailboards at Hood River Oregon USA #2 P1000429 L-forum.jpg
    EXIF
    240712 PJD Columbia River sailboards at Hood River Oregon USA #2 P1000429 L-forum.jpg
    759.3 KB · Views: 7
Sailboarder catching air yesterday in the Columbia River Gorge at Hood River, Oregon. A 24MP RAW photo taken with my S5iiX and an old Nikkor 70-210mm f4.5-f56 manual lens, at 210mm, f11, 1/640th sec, ISO 640.
It's a great photo; I think it'd be even better with a little post-processing. The background looks kinda washed out; boosting the contrast and/or black levels would give a better frame for the sailboarder.

It's a great photo; I think it'd be even better with a little post-processing. The background looks kinda washed out; boosting the contrast and/or black levels would give a better frame for the sailboarder.
I don't mind it but I think you mean the DeHaze tool. Them guys have some skills and a potential to wreck themselves too, some of the kite boarders are jumping 100ft :oops:

I used to be a bike racer and did 75mph once down the mountain in Gran Canaria in the Canary Islands with only lycra and no helmet... Not that it would have saved me if I crashed. Over 60mph racing in Ireland and one time sheep ran out in front of me.

I miss the invulnerability feeling when 20 years old, not now and its crap :mad: but at least I did it once.

I don't mind it but I think you mean the DeHaze tool.
Depends on what software you're using, of course. :)
Them guys have some skills and a potential to wreck themselves too, some of the kite boarders are jumping 100ft :oops:

I used to be a bike racer and did 75mph once down the mountain in Gran Canaria in the Canary Islands with only lycra and no helmet... Not that it would have saved me if I crashed. Over 60mph racing in Ireland and one time sheep ran out in front of me.

I miss the invulnerability feeling when 20 years old, not now and its crap :mad: but at least I did it once.
I've done the downhill bike thing, but not quite that extreme. ^^;; My sport-of-extremity was long distance running, which didn't pose quite the same threat to life and limb...

53850962018_f356838ab3_h.jpg
20230414-SDIM5215 by Travis Butler, on Flickr
Sigma fp, Contax/Zeiss Tessar 45/2.8

53850962043_1072814fda_h.jpg
20230414-SDIM5228 by Travis Butler, on Flickr

It's a shame... the Tessar 45/2.8 is a tiny lens that pairs well with the small body of the fp, but this was the second time I spent serious time with it and I just can't get along with it. The color comes out all wrong and I have to spend way too much time trying to fix it.

Depends on what software you're using, of course. :)

I've done the downhill bike thing, but not quite that extreme. ^^;; My sport-of-extremity was long distance running, which didn't pose quite the same threat to life and limb...
75mph (measured by bicycle computer) was down the volcano road (all Canary islands are volanoes), I was never an off road MTBer. I lost confidence one time after breaking 7 fingers in a crash with so many fractures, got it back and would still be over taking cars on mountain descents but no way I imagine could I do this now but you never know :p I overtook a police car at 40+ mph in a storm tailwind at 3am only a few years ago in the city so?

I'm not no risk but more even more calculated risk regarding hiking rather than biking now. There are elements of the buzz still there when I'm at myself when people my age won't do it, it's important to at least hang onto elements of it otherwise it's TV, sofa and detriment.

Here's a link to a higher-resolution version with additional image editing tweaks. I may have gone too far ... :)
Columbia River Gorge, sailboarders at Hood River, Oregon #2

240712-pjd-columbia-river-sailboards-at-hood-river-oregon-usa-2-p1000429_wp.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2X
  • 210.0 mm
  • 1/640 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 640

View attachment 6250
20230414-SDIM5215 by Travis Butler, on Flickr
Sigma fp, Contax/Zeiss Tessar 45/2.8

View attachment 6251
20230414-SDIM5228 by Travis Butler, on Flickr

It's a shame... the Tessar 45/2.8 is a tiny lens that pairs well with the small body of the fp, but this was the second time I spent serious time with it and I just can't get along with it. The color comes out all wrong and I have to spend way too much time trying to fix it.
I know you don't like the colors or aren't getting along with the lens but, these look good man !!!

Reactions: PJD
I know you don't like the colors or aren't getting along with the lens but, these look good man !!!
The problem is with the color cast; this is after tweaking the colors, and it still looks a little off to me. Straight out of the camera, the barn looked almost purplish. <sheepish look>

Back