L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Share your photos with legacy lenses

Obviously I was slow on the uptake.. had completely forgotten my hen photo!! :oops: If I already had an FD-L adaptor I probably wouldn't have been able to resist but I really need to stop the adaptor collection.
I have three adapters and that's enough to manage for the moment!

Now that I see it I wish I'd done a version with the Sigma 50/2 to compare old and new, especially in terms of smoothness of bokeh.
Sigma will have smoother bokeh but I prefer pop for this photo anyway. As I said in the other thread I don't like obliterated backgrounds all the time, not that Sigma f2 will do that here. It might be even be nicer stopped down to f2.8-f4 with rounded blades for this photo, however it can get ugly on old 5 straight aperture blade lenses.

I purchased a Pentax M 50/1.7 recently, so here is an example with minimal processing. I think it was F2.8.

I wrote a review on my blog, for the six people that don't already have this lens! ;-)

I admit, while I’ve found the M 50/1.7 to be a perfectly competent lens, I’ve never seen the something ‘special’ a lot of people find in the lens; I prefer the rendering on the M 50/1.4, which is a favorite of mine (see my profile pic!).

I feel much the same way about the Minolta MC/MD 50/1.7, or the OM Zuiko 50/1.8; both are supposed to have something extra, and I’ve never been able to find it. ;_; The corresponding f/1.4 versions grab me more.

I admit, while I’ve found the M 50/1.7 to be a perfectly competent lens, I’ve never seen the something ‘special’ a lot of people find in the lens; I prefer the rendering on the M 50/1.4, which is a favorite of mine (see my profile pic!).

Please don't make me buy another lens. LOL. I don't even like the 50mm focal length. To be clear... is the F1.4 version special because of the open aperture? Or for other reasons?

Nothing special in the M50/1.7 it's true. Just amazing value for money.

I've found the M 50/1.7 to be very competent and usable wide open. One big thing it has going for it is it's the smallest 50/1.7 I think there is, certainly the smallest I've ever used so it often gets used for travel or when there's not much space left in the bag.

Please don't make me buy another lens. LOL. I don't even like the 50mm focal length. To be clear... is the F1.4 version special because of the open aperture? Or for other reasons?

Nothing special in the M50/1.7 it's true. Just amazing value for money.
I'm not sure I'd call the 1.4 'special'. It's a good lens, maybe even a classic. It's got good IQ, it's compact (especially for a f/1.4) and it shares the Pentax talent for mechanical build; my two copies focus like a dream, beautifully smooth with just the right amount of resistance. (Even after one fell into a mud puddle!) And the IQ is very nice - sharp, pleasant OOF rendering, great color.
20221218-SDIM2462.jpg
  • 1/1000 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 100

Sigma fp, Pentax-M 50/1.4
Edit: Mrgh, the forum software kinda did a number on this one. See this Flickr link for the full-size version, where you can really appreciate the detail and sharpness.

20221218-SDIM2484.jpg
  • 1/60 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 250

20221227-SDIM2620.jpg
  • 1/60 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 1250

20230217-SDIM3551.jpg
  • 1/60 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 500

20230311-SDIM4613.jpg
  • 1/640 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 100

But as much as I like it... I dunno. I'm not sure it quite has that spark to make it truly special.
I've found the M 50/1.7 to be very competent and usable wide open. One big thing it has going for it is it's the smallest 50/1.7 I think there is, certainly the smallest I've ever used so it often gets used for travel or when there's not much space left in the bag.
I think the last-generation MD 50/1.7 (the 49mm filter thread version with a lot of plastic) is about the same size, and the OM Zuiko 50/1.8 is even smaller. Still, the M 50/1.7 is indeed very small and light. :)

Attachments

• 20230311-SDIM4610.jpg
    EXIF
    20230311-SDIM4610.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Trying out a new acquisition, the f/3.5-4.5 version of the OM Zuiko 35-70, on my Sigma fp:

20240412-SDIM9784.jpg
  • 1/500 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 100

20240412-SDIM9790.jpg
  • 1/640 sec
  • Pattern
  • ISO 100

(BTW, the 35-70 was bundled with a copy of the OM 50/1.8; I've already got three copies, and the whole bag was only $30 including an OM-1, so I'd be happy to give the 50/1.8 to anyone who's interested for the cost of shipping.)

After quite a while on the lookout I finally got a Konica AR 50mm f/1.7 to go along with my flare-tastic 40/1.8. The sun's a bit too high when I get out to shoot a bit at this time of the year but I managed to coax some blue flare out of this one without much difficulty.

53663460795_dfe3a63dbd_b.jpg
Wheat, sun, flare
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Very nice.
Die-hard Pentaxians hate you if told their lenses look better on Lumix caneras Z04 Carrot

I had 4x DA Limiteds, no FA, could have adapted the 60-250 f4 which worked on FF properly with a modification but no AF (AF sucked regardless with it on moving stuff) but glad I traded them in for Lumix S5ii, 24-105 f4 & 70-300 f4.5-f5.6. I am more of a landscape and a long distance photographer though to bear in mind.

I did buy a PK-L adapter so I can use the Samyang 14mm f2.8, tried other Pentax lenses too including F*300 f4.5 but for me I see no point as the Lumix zooms are matching or beating them in IQ plus all the AF and dual stability advantages with S5ii.

Saying this I may try a few others including the M 35-70 f2.8-f3.5 which has a distinctive output which I suppose is the purpose of this thread. I've still to try my CZ Jena 50 and 135, and others so thanks for posting as it went out of my head.

Your 43 is nice, I'd love to try the 77 Ltd as I started a thread regarding 3D pop here and that lens was the basis for it.

Your 43 is nice, I'd love to try the 77 Ltd as I started a thread regarding 3D pop here and that lens was the basis for it.

If it stops raining today, I will make a few sample shots for you with the 77 limited and 43 limited on the S5ii. Weather forecast is positive for today. Hope dies last. We had 2 months basically only raining here...

Back