L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

News S5ii firmware update 3.0 - S5iiX update 2.0

Nice. None of these features are of much use to me, but great to see Panasonic continuing to develop the platform.
The pre-capture is absolutely brilliant, you could nail a Mt. St Helen''s event Paul :) This function will also help boost the reputation of the camera and is great fof sports and birding.

Motorcycle mode is a strange choice but if it helps track cyclists then that could help me, but it already can do this on Eurosport, yes I tested it on the TV and it locks onto the bodies but thats a flat screen, I haven't tried it in real life yet.

Regarding AF should become at least as good as the G9, I would think FF AF works better in low light but I'm not sure.

Unfortunately Pete never got his train AF mode. :cool:

I do think that this is just the beginning of several firmware updates, especially for AF, over the coming months and years.

First, we have the olympics this year and we have now more and more telezooms in the L-Mount system. I do not think that this is by accident.

Second, it is a lot cheaper for Panasonic to upgrade their cameras with firmware, if there is no special features desired, which would need other hardware.

I can not think of something I am missing on my S5ii except better AF, because we always want to have better AF - even with Sony cameras. Teufel Grinsend Schwanz

Everything else needs other hardware (tilting screen, 5.6MP viewfinder, smaller body, RF style body etc.)

Maybe we have in 5 years a kind of subscription system for firmware updates. I would be happy to pay every 2 years 300-500 USD for features I want to have improved instead of buying ever 2-4 years a new camera for 2000 USD just to have that specific feature.

Subscription ideas aside it just makes more sense for Panasonic to strive for the best possible AF performance to try and compete with Canon, Sony and Nikon and boost their sales, if that happens then more lenses will be in demand in a sort of virtuous circle. If Panasonic becomes a serious option for sports photography then we could see more big fast primes, the Sigma 500mm prime could be just the start.

Would it be possible to get the 4k 60p video mode without apsc crop through a firmware update?

Would it be possible to get the 4k 60p video mode without apsc crop through a firmware update?

My guess would be that this depends on the internal hardware they used in the S5ii. If that hardware would be compatible with that (sensor speed, cpu speed, heat etc ), then why not?

a kind of subscription system for firmware updates. I would be happy to pay every 2 years 300-500 USD
Panasonic kind of done this already with the S5iiX, they didn't even need a separate body and essentially released the same camera twice. You can already pay for a RAW video via HDMI or something for S5ii, something that I don't need now but might do if I really get into video. There's no point including such expensive codecs that cost licence fee money for photographers so these add-ons (your subscription idea) is a good one. I would suggest one-off payments rather than a 'subscription' idea as, for example, I'm not paying for LR when it expires, I never used it for 3 years until recently.

Subscriptions can be a tool to fleece the money us, i.e having to pay monthly just to use your camera but I don't think you meant this.

Not possible as the sensor read-out is not fast enough, a classic hardware limitation. Sony A7 IV or Nikon Z6ii can't either, the Canon R6ii can do it.

I actually prefer the 4k crop mode, I tried it @300mm on the 70-300 and I love the reach. Obviously if you want the widest angle it becomes a limitation, I have a 14mm f2.8 anyway if I need to do 4k 50/60 for 21mm equivalent.

I would suggest one-off payments rather than a 'subscription' idea as, for example, I'm not paying for LR when it expires, I never used it for 3 years until recently.

Subscriptions can be a tool to fleece the money us, i.e having to pay monthly just to use your camera but I don't think you meant this.

Yeah, I meant one-off payments for specific packages you are interested in and then stay happy for years to come.

Not possible as the sensor read-out is not fast enough, a classic hardware limitation.
The G9II has full frame 4K 60p and I use it a lot. My A1 also has it, with its fast readout sensor, and I use that quite a bit as well. It would be a nice to have on the S5IIx but I agree it probably won't happen.

The G9II has full frame 4K 60p and I use it a lot. My A1 also has it, with its fast readout sensor, and I use that quite a bit as well. It would be a nice to have on the S5IIx but I agree it probably won't happen.
The sensor simply can't do it.

What is the use for 50/60, is it only for slo-mo?

Panasonic kind of done this already with the S5iiX, they didn't even need a separate body and essentially released the same camera twice. You can already pay for a RAW video via HDMI or something for S5ii.
The main thing I use that the S5IIx has and the S5II doesn't is the All-I codecs. I always prefer this to Long GOP.

The main thing I use that the S5IIx has and the S5II doesn't is the All-I codecs. I always prefer this to Long GOP.
You may as well be talking Double Dutch :D I understand data rates but that's the limit, I think ProRes is native for the Apple Final Cut Pro software and S5ii LUTs can be applied to that neutral grey looking filter, I even forgot the name, 709 or something... That's all I know, probably not correct either!

Only software I have is iMovie and never tried that, I had to do some video editing at university once and hated it. Just uploading to YT straight from the camera will do me fine, I think you can do simple crops in the camera, like cutting out 10 secs from the start of something.

LongGOP? :confused::oops:

Unfortunately Pete never got his train AF mode. :cool:
You beat me to it. WHERE IS MY TRAIN MODE??? :p ;)

But I have to say that the AF in the S5M2 does trains perfectly fine as it is, and the DFD in the S5 original was good at it too, so no complaints from me.

Some nice firmware updates have been released from Panasonic this year (both G and S series), and from Nikon and Sony, I wonder how the precious OM fans are feeling right now? If you want a few more features in your OM camera, you have to buy an entirely new camera body. Z04 Flucht

You beat me to it. WHERE IS MY TRAIN MODE??? :p ;)

But I have to say that the AF in the S5M2 does trains perfectly fine as it is, and the DFD in the S5 original was good at it too, so no complaints from me.

Some nice firmware updates have been released from Panasonic this year (both G and S series), and from Nikon and Sony, I wonder how the precious OM fans are feeling right now? If you want a few more features in your OM camera, you have to buy an entirely new camera body. Z04 Flucht
I don't follow M43 but sounds like gear wars, Panasonic versus Olympus?

I did see that adapted Sigma 150-600 which was ludicrous, I remember M43 from years ago and it was supposed to be small.

I don't follow M43 but sounds like gear wars, Panasonic versus Olympus?

I did see that adapted Sigma 150-600 which was ludicrous, I remember M43 from years ago and it was supposed to be small.
Yep, I realise this is off-topic but the DPR m4/3 forum is a dumpster fire.

Back