L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Lumix S 26mm f8 bodycap lens

Markuswelder

It's a little ripper. I bought one at full retail (I think) -not inherited as part of a kit, and it's been pretty much stuck on my S5 ever since. I really get what Panasonic was up to when they designed it. A tiny, light, simple little lens that's just great fun to use. Without thinking too deeply or seriously about the gear. It turns my S5 into a supercharged phone camera. With an EVF. Not to be taken too seriously.
240915Es-P1013687.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • LUMIX S 26/F8
  • 26.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/30 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

240915Es-P1013689.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • LUMIX S 26/F8
  • 26.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/30 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100
240915Es-P1013683.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5
  • LUMIX S 26/F8
  • 26.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/160 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

Even better on an S9. I think I have heard of this thing you call EVF.
Curious as to how it's better. No viewfinder is a no go for me now, after bulk frustrations with a couple of viewfinderless cameras I've owned/still own long term. I even tried shooting for a week using rear screen only on my S5, not happening.

Curious as to how it's better. No viewfinder is a no go for me now, after bulk frustrations with a couple of viewfinderless cameras I've owned/still own long term. I even tried shooting for a week using rear screen only on my S5, not happening.
I agree. Lack of EVF is an absolute deal breaker.

I don't pay much attention. I view and frame with the monitor.

A first question is why is the monitor hard to see in bright sunlight? It is NOT because sun is shining on the monitor. The issue is the glass of the monitor is a mirror and it reflects bright things back to you that disrupt looking at the camera display. The worst case is when you are facing the sun; the sun hits your face and body and this reflects off the display. I installed an anti-glare screen on the monitor and that pretty well takes care of that.

A first question is why is the monitor hard to see in bright sunlight? It is NOT because sun is shining on the monitor. The issue is the glass of the monitor is a mirror and it reflects bright things back to you that disrupt looking at the camera display. The worst case is when you are facing the sun; the sun hits your face and body and this reflects off the display. I installed an anti-glare screen on the monitor and that pretty well takes care of that.
Yes, I've found the S9 LCD to be perfectly fine for my use, and I love shooting from the hip with it. It gives me a different approach to framing.

Each to their own. I love shooting ultrawide, & also find it extremely difficult trying to frame shots using the rear screen. I resorted to this. I'd rather a viewfinder. On the subsequent models, Canon saw the error of their ways, and made an optional EVF.
M clearviewerS.jpg
  • Panasonic - DMC-GX8
  • LUMIX G 25/F1.7
  • 25.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.5
  • 1/30 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200
M clearviewer2-S.jpg
  • Panasonic - DMC-GX8
  • LUMIX G 25/F1.7