L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Lumix lens price drop in Europe?

Can’t find many about it, but just bought the 70-300 2 weeks ago. If it really will drop that much in price all over Europe some action is required

Someone here can confirm this from other sources also?

Yes, I saw it mentioned on Josh Cameron's recent YouTube video review of the S5IIx. Check the link below. It starts around the 4:00 min mark.

In my country the "price drop" is a rebate action, so a temporary thing requiring you to register your details with Panasonic. However, they are having these rebates frequently so I bought almost all my lenses when one was active. The other lenses I bought when a temporary direct discount in a different European country was offered without having to register my details with Panasonic.

Can’t find many about it, but just bought the 70-300 2 weeks ago. If it really will drop that much in price all over Europe some action is required

Someone here can confirm this from other sources also?
The official 70-300 price has dropped to 999 € in Europe. The new price for the 24-70 is 1999 €, the 70-200 f2.8 is now 2299 € official price. As always Market prices could differ. I bought my 70-300 almost two years ago for less than that.

I had pre-ordered the 70-300 so paid the £1249 launch price.. although I was happy to have the lens and still use mine regularly, I've always considered it overpriced for what it is so this is a good move for Panasonic not so much for anyone who maybe decides to sell theirs on, "you pays your money you takes your choice" ;)

I've always considered it overpriced for what it is

So do I

this is a good move for Panasonic

Yes and although this will crash on the second hand market price of that lens, I support that price decrease, because I want the L-Mount to gain market share. If lenses are too expensive, that is will not work. We can see with the huge success of the Lumix S5 and Sigma lenses, that price helps a lot to gain market share.

I will sell my 70-300 zoom only if there will be a smaller and lighter alternative available. Either from Panasonic or from Sigma.

Z04 Menno

Obviously I made something wrong...
I would say, I had have some luck.

However, the only reason I would sell it would be that the Sigma 70-200 will be very compact, lightweight and compatible with teleconverter. Otherwise the lens will stay with me as long as I will take photos with L-Mount cameras.

I would say, I had have some luck.

However, the only reason I would sell it would be that the Sigma 70-200 will be very compact, lightweight and compatible with teleconverter. Otherwise the lens will stay with me as long as I will take photos with L-Mount cameras.
I do hope you’re right and that it arrives soon.

The only place I could find currently selling the 70-300 for €999 is amazon.de. Other countries and other stores are still firmly on the launch price. Maybe they still need to move older stock which they bought at higher wholesale prices? Anyway, more affordable L-mount lenses is always a good thing. No point in weeping over money already spent. And inflation is currently depreciating anything I bought faster than any price-drops anyway. :p

The only place I could find currently selling the 70-300 for €999 is amazon.de. Other countries and other stores are still firmly on the launch price. Maybe they still need to move older stock which they bought at higher wholesale prices? Anyway, more affordable L-mount lenses is always a good thing. No point in weeping over money already spent. And inflation is currently depreciating anything I bought faster than any price-drops anyway. :p
Several dealers UK have it listed now and available at £899

In Finland, price for that lens and 50/1.8 has already dropped and the new prices are 1199€ and 399€. Also 20-60 was changed from 799€(?) to 499€. Other prices are the same as before.

I wonder how long the lower price will last?

Last May the UK price of the 16-35 f4 dropped from £1499 to £1299 for around 2 months: it wasn't a cashback scheme and it applied across all the main dealers. It seems like Panasonic periodically reduce the price of some of the lenses for a limited period. Same thing with the cameras: the S5 with the shooting grip and a spare battery had been reduced to £1199 in January but then went back up to £1599; it's now down again at £1299. And the S1 is currently available at £1599 from Park Cameras; first time I ever remember seeing it discounted.

The US price for the 70-300 is now $998. I purchased this lens about a month ago for $1148 US. Not a problem for me; I'm happy to see prices coming down even in this inflationary era. I do like the 70-300, and have been using it quite a bit.

After using film era and MFT lenses I can't get used to these crazy prices. That said, I got a great deal on a two-lens kit a month ago when I bought my Lumix S5.

After using film era and MFT lenses I can't get used to these crazy prices. That said, I got a great deal on a two-lens kit a month ago when I bought my Lumix S5.
On the other hand, MFT pro lenses are almost as expensive as L-mount lenses. Fuji has inexpensive and relatively expensive lenses. RF lenses are very expensive.

The official price in Germany related to the Panasonic Germany website is now 999€. Very bad for everyone who bought it with the former regular price, but there where also some cashback offers before.
During introduction there was an offer in the US for 999$ but no special introduction price in europe.

From a general point of view I think this is a good price to help to get new people into the system, especially with the S5 variants. And we all who already used the lens hopefully got a lot of good pictures with this lens

On the other hand, MFT pro lenses are almost as expensive as L-mount lenses.

Thankfully I never saw the need for the supposed Pro lenses. I shot 95% with the brilliant Olympus 45/1.8 and Panasonic 14/2.5, total cost under 300 Euro. So for me the cost to jump to Lumix S was insane... if it wasn't for the fantastic lens offer, that is!

Thankfully I never saw the need for the supposed Pro lenses. I shot 95% with the brilliant Olympus 45/1.8 and Panasonic 14/2.5, total cost under 300 Euro. So for me the cost to jump to Lumix S was insane... if it wasn't for the fantastic lens offer, that is!
I agree. Non-Pro MFT lenses are very inexpensive. I had almost "everything" between 9 to 300 mm (including 12-40/2.8) and still the total cost was around the same as S 70-300 alone (before price drop).

If anyone in the UK is wanting the 70-300 then WEXPhotoVideo and Park Cameras currently have it at the new price of £899 plus you can get another £100 off with a "voucher code" that you apply when making the purchase.

Back