L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Lumix 26mm

Markuswelder

Anyone else a wee bit excited about the imminent 26mm f8 pancake? I've surprised myself, at just how much I'm looking forwards to its availability. Yeah, there's faster lenses, "better" lenses, AF lenses, but 50 grams & 18?mm thick has me surprisingly keen. Anyone else? I've seen some pretty sharp shots taken with it in some of the reviews, I've been practicing up with my 14-28 stuck on 26mm & f8 lol lol lol. It's actually a pretty versatile focal length I've discovered. Just wide enough to be pretty damn handy, not too wide that everything looks wicked distorted. Looking forwards to seeing some shots from the early S9 adopters. Peace. CheersDaumenhochDaumenhoch

not at all, if I want small and 26'ish pictures, without EVF but with real leaf shutter, I take my GR3 :) . without a real shutter, I take my iPhone (12 mini, with 26/6.2 main camera ff eqv)

Last edited:
not at all, if I want small and 26'ish pictures, without EVF but with real leaf shutter, I take my GR3 :) . without a real shutter, I take my iPhone (12 mini, with 26/6.2 main camera ff eqv)
I'm going to pop it on my S5. I reckon it will make a brilliant "don't give a $h!t if I break it" lens/camera setup he he he. To take to work, take Mountain biking etc etc. Yeah, I've got a couple of G100's for that, but keen to give the 26mm a spin :)

I'm going to pop it on my S5. I reckon it will make a brilliant "don't give a $h!t if I break it" lens/camera setup he he he. To take to work, take Mountain biking etc etc. Yeah, I've got a couple of G100's for that, but keen to give the 26mm a spin :)
My 12 mini is already less worth then the 26/8 I guess, so ... I'm not too worried using it anywhere. And I do like to use it though, and in good light it is quite oke. But for me I see no point putting money towards that lens on a S5ii. 18-40 would be nice to replace 20-60 as a dedicated occasional super light and tiny wide-angle lens to supplement the 24-105

Going back to the S9, I think it looks like a very interesting camera for those who want small and light; but what has puzzled me most is that it has been launched without a dedicated high quality small lens - granted, the 18-40mm is on the way, but it is not here yet. This 26mm is very small and very light, but really quite limited, and very expensive for what it is if you buy it stand-alone. In the UK, the pre-launch price seems to be around the £220 mark. If you take a look at Nikon, for example, there's a nearly-as-small quite light 26mm f2.8 AF lens - and several other small/light lenses in the neighbourhood of that focal length. Granted, the Nikon 26mm is twice the price of the Lumix, but a lens like that would offer so much more.

In the UK, the pre-launch price seems to be around the £220 mark.
This lens comes for free with the S9 launch in the US, so I will be testing it. I don't envision it as a lens for everything, but as a walk-around lens it could be very interesting.

This lens comes for free with the S9 launch in the US, so I will be testing it. I don't envision it as a lens for everything, but as a walk-around lens it could be very interesting.
In the UK, it looks as though it will be an additional £99 bundled in with the camera.

Looks like a fun lens to me. I could certainly make use of it as an alternative to my GX85 + 14mm as a walkaround kit.

I think Panasonic have let themselves down by producing this lens at all, and especially planning on selling it for $200.

Get a proper pancake lens - a 40mm f/2 with AF for example - and spend your design time developing that instead.

I think Panasonic have let themselves down by producing this lens at all, and especially planning on selling it for $200.

Get a proper pancake lens - a 40mm f/2 with AF for example - and spend your design time developing that instead.
I'm sure there's more lenses to come, after the 26mm.

Reactions: CMS
I’m unsure what a 26mm f8 on an S5 would offer over an iPhone. And of course, the iPhone will be AF.
Cheaper for a start, better image quality at a guess, an EVF, a tilting , adjustable screen, a decent grip and far superior ergonomics, and people also seem to be forgetting that it's an interchangeable lens. It's not fixed. The 26 plus my Lumix 50 would make a brilliant little pair, as a minimalist general purpose everyday kit.
People don't understand that I use my S5 as they use their phone camera, except that it's actually fun, enjoyable and comfortable to shoot with.
There's a discussion on another forum I frequent a bit, titled "do you go out to shoot, or shoot when you're out?" I shoot when I'm out, I've already got my S5 with me as I utterly detest and despise phone cameras, I see the 26 as just another tool to make that a bit easier. Pretty much how Panasonic envisages the S9 and 26mm kit would be used I'm guessing

Edit -I've been using my S5 & 14-28mm the last couple of days, set at 26mm & f8, & it's actually been quite fun. I've found the focal length to be quite a good compromise between wide angle distortion, yet still "wide enough" indoors. I'll post a couple of shots of some of the use cases I see for it when I get a minute

Last edited:
Those first two bike shots, I think it is a girl, she is clipped into that bike. It would scare the bejesus out of me to be clipped in and taking air like that. I can barely clip into a Peloton.

Those first two bike shots, I think it is a girl, she is clipped into that bike. It would scare the bejesus out of me to be clipped in and taking air like that. I can barely clip into a Peloton.
Nah, both guys. And they're not clipped in, just on flat pedals. They're pretty good, flats now. Some have replaceable pins, and combine them with some soft soled shoes, there's very very little chance of slippage.
I too fear clip less pedals. For off-road usage. I'd kill myself for sure riding off-road. Great for gravel bikes, road bikes, maybe nicely groomed cross country trails, but definitely not where I end up riding:)

I am guessing that the RRP of this lens is strictly in accordance with Panasonic's corporate pricing policy but once they hit the stores, you'll be able to buy one for much less and people who get them as a kit with the camera will be selling them off on eBay too.

I am sure there will be more small lenses coming from Pana and don't see this little lens as being a big problem. It's just another MF lens.

Cheaper for a start, better image quality at a guess, an EVF, a tilting , adjustable screen, a decent grip and far superior ergonomics, and people also seem to be forgetting that it's an interchangeable lens. It's not fixed. The 26 plus my Lumix 50 would make a brilliant little pair, as a minimalist general purpose everyday kit.
People don't understand that I use my S5 as they use their phone camera, except that it's actually fun, enjoyable and comfortable to shoot with.
There's a discussion on another forum I frequent a bit, titled "do you go out to shoot, or shoot when you're out?" I shoot when I'm out, I've already got my S5 with me as I utterly detest and despise phone cameras, I see the 26 as just another tool to make that a bit easier. Pretty much how Panasonic envisages the S9 and 26mm kit would be used I'm guessing

Edit -I've been using my S5 & 14-28mm the last couple of days, set at 26mm & f8, & it's actually been quite fun. I've found the focal length to be quite a good compromise between wide angle distortion, yet still "wide enough" indoors. I'll post a couple of shots of some of the use cases I see for it when I get a minute
I guess all that makes sense. I’m mostly in the “I go out to shoot” category, so I don’t mind bigger kit. When I do use my gear for social occasions, it’s usually the S5 or S5ii with the Sigma 35/2. It’s a nice combo.

I guess all that makes sense. I’m mostly in the “I go out to shoot” category, so I don’t mind bigger kit. When I do use my gear for social occasions, it’s usually the S5 or S5ii with the Sigma 35/2. It’s a nice combo.
I think it would be quite fair to say that I'm far from what Panasonic envisaged their target audience to be with the S5, in quite a number of areas. I don't shoot video, at all, and if I'm honest with myself, probably see my S5 as just an S9 with an EVF. 85mm is the longest focal length I own for the camera -and that's only a very recent acquisition. It was 50mm for the majority of the time previous to that.
I also seem to have a bit of a hangover from my m4/3 kit, far preferring smaller, lighter lenses, than bigger, heavier "higher quality" lenses. A deliberate ploy from Panasonic themselves to entice m4/3 into the system? Very very possible I think. So many lenses that give the same FOV, but with better equivalent apertures, or better, at even keener pricing. Coincidence? As any cop will tell you, there's no such thing as coincidence :) I also think that the Lumix lenses I've bought so far, are exceptional. Especially given the price point at which I've acquired them. The 20-60mm really blew my mind, the 50 1.8 the same, & I think the 14-28 is absolutely extraordinary for what it can produce. The 85mm just more of the same. So in saying that, I find it quite hard to believe that they've completely dropped the ball when it comes to the upcoming 26mm. Like I wrote previously, I'm not going to rush out and buy one the second it's released here, at full recommended retail, but it is definitely very visible on my radar for grabbing at the right price :)

Back