L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

*** February 2024 Image and Video Thread ***

Pete_W

LMF-Patron
Top Poster Of Month
Better later than never! Here is the February 2024 thread. Share your L-mount photos and videos here for all to enjoy!

I'll start with a few taken today, my first day out this month with the camera. These shots were taken at Cape Solander, which is part of the south head of Botany Bay looking out to the Pacific Ocean.

Panasonic DC-S5M2, LUMIX S 20-60/F3.5-5.6 at 40mm, ƒ/5.0, 1/1600s, ISO100
Cape Solander by Peter Watters, on Flickr

Panasonic DC-S5M2, LUMIX S 14-28/F4-5.6 at 14mm, ƒ/5.0, 1/1000s, ISO100
Cape Solander by Peter Watters, on Flickr

Panasonic DC-S5M2, LUMIX S 14-28/F4-5.6 at 17mm, , ƒ/7.1, 1/320s, ISO100
Sea fig on the cliff tops by Peter Watters, on Flickr

Lovely shots Pete. I'm very jealous looking at all these lovely summer shots!
Thanks Paul!
The weather has been very warm here in Sydney, and humid now we are in February. I have been enjoying the long days of sunlight. Won't be long before you get to Spring up there in the UK!

Here's a few recent XPans. All with the S1R, except for the logs which are with the S5ii.
Gorgeous shots, Paul The light is superb.
Your photos are making me want an S1R!

Great light on the church, that lens looks superb, I wish I had one.
I know from another forum that you're waiting for yours. Hang in there! It's a nice optic for sure. Probably the best std/wide zoom I've had (and I've had a few):

- Canon 24-105 L (original) - a decent lens, but definitely a design from the past and not up to modern levels of sharpness
- Olympus 12-40 - a superb lens. As good optically as the 24-105 but not quite as close focussing and doesn't have OIS
- Nikon 24-70 S (Z mount) - another superb lens. Optically very good apart from some slight corner softening, but no OIS and only goes to 70mm
- Sony 28-70 - awful lens!
- Panasonic 12-35 - very good, but falls slightly short of the 12-40 in sharpness and only goes to 70mm equiv

I also had the Olympus 12-100 and I really, really liked that lens. I hope that Panasonic can make real the lens on their roadmap that seems to cover the equiv focal length range.

This is a shot I took last March, but I originally processed it in tinted mono. I recently went back to it and did it colour and I wish I'd done it that way first time. S1R with 24-105.

53440178398_d62b0b5e98_o.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S1R
  • LUMIX S 24-105/F4
  • 105.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/80 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

Loch Arklet by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

53527675628_72622d7b33_k_d.jpg
Lumix S5, Tamron SP 500/8 55B

Playing around with a recently-acquired mirror lens. The 55B has a built-in tripod mount; the 55BB, which I also have, doesn't have it, so for $35 figured it was worth it.

These were all taken handheld; honestly, the tripod collar's a disadvantage for that, because it adds a lot of weight to the lens and makes it harder to balance. Have yet to find time to try it on a tripod.

53527929680_1a66a6b87d_k_d.jpg
53527675868_d863acd9a9_k_d.jpg
Still, I don't think it does too badly. (The shadowed areas are OOF tree branches.) Here's a shot with another recent acquisition, the Kiron 80-200/4.5, for comparison:
53526597807_d07b5f889b_k_d.jpg
Lumix S5, Kiron 80-200/4.5 Macro

Lumix S5, Tamron SP 500/8 55B

Playing around with a recently-acquired mirror lens. The 55B has a built-in tripod mount; the 55BB, which I also have, doesn't have it, so for $35 figured it was worth it.

These were all taken handheld; honestly, the tripod collar's a disadvantage for that, because it adds a lot of weight to the lens and makes it harder to balance. Have yet to find time to try it on a tripod.
Surprisingly sharp for a mirror lens.

Surprisingly sharp for a mirror lens.
Yeah... Before the Tamrons, I had an Opteka mirror, and it was pretty soft. But the Tamrons are apparently some of the better mirrors out there, from what I've read; I've certainly had good luck with mine.

It is really important to get exact focus, since they have razor-thin depth of field; I focused in magnified mode with focus peaking, and I still had quite a few misses. IBIS was also very helpful.

My latest acquisition is a lens to take me beyond the 90mm where my native L-mount lenses max out at present - a Tamron 70-210mm f/4 Di VC USD. It's a DSLR lens (and the same as the Pentax 70-210mm) but one of the last to be released before just about every lens manufacturer dumped SLR lenses completely and in EF mount it seems to work well with my Commlite adapter. The only oddity is that when VC (Vibration Compensation) is turned on, if you so much as touch the focus ring while in AF mode the camera switches to manual focus mode and can't be set back to AF mode without the camera being switched off and on again. Handling is front-heavy and it's a bigger and heavier lens than is ideal on an adapter but I think it's the best option available for the money I had available (I paid €320). I need to do a bit more testing as it might be slightly de-centred with the left side being softer than the right, but it might be due to being an an adapter.

53534675992_69cb92c4ce_b.jpg
Springtime
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

I bought that PK-L adapter but no camera. I gave up the idea of trying to use the Pentax F*300 f4.5 on the S5ii and ordered the S 70-300 f4.5-f5.6 after seeing the lightning fast AF and the image quality. I got it for £699 along with the S5ii 24-104 f4 deal. It only weighs 780g and is apparently not front heavy and doesn't need a tripod mount. So now I'll own 2x 1:2 Macro capable lenses and 300mm 1:2 Macro is nice for keeping distance at 74cm closest focus. I hated not being able to do this with my DA* 60-250 and F*300!

The PK-L adapter can be used for the MF Samyang 14mm f2.8 and I think I'll be selling more of the legacy lenses unless I am going to use them. I'll try the F*300 f4.5 before letting it go.

I remember lusting after the PK Tamron 70-200 f2.8 all those years ago, the older one than yours... :)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tamron-70-200mm-f2-8-di-ld-macro.html

I bought that PK-L adapter but no camera. I gave up the idea of trying to use the Pentax F*300 f4.5 on the S5ii and ordered the S 70-300 f4.5-f5.6 after seeing the lightning fast AF and the image quality. I got it for £699 along with the S5ii 24-104 f4 deal. It only weighs 780g and is apparently not front heavy and doesn't need a tripod mount. So now I'll own 2x 1:2 Macro capable lenses and 300mm 1:2 Macro is nice for keeping distance at 74cm closest focus. I hated not being able to do this with my DA* 60-250 and F*300!

The PK-L adapter can be used for the MF Samyang 14mm f2.8 and I think I'll be selling more of the legacy lenses unless I am going to use them. I'll try the F*300 f4.5 before letting it go.

I remember lusting after the PK Tamron 70-200 f2.8 all those years ago, the older one than yours... :)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tamron-70-200mm-f2-8-di-ld-macro.html
Have you got your gear yet?

Back