L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Would the 14-28mm be redundant if...

By the way Guillermo, I love your pictures. Thanks for posting. Unfortunately I don't have any opinion about the 14-28.

I was in the same boat as you. My choice was the pair LUMIX 14-28mm for landscape , architecture, travel snapshots and Sigma 24mm/2 for night shots and moving people

It was a tough choice not to buy the brighter LUMIX 18mm/1.8 but I choose the wider angle (14mm) to cover my needs.

I only like to carry one lens at a time which is why I thought about the zoom.
Guillermo, the 14-28 Lumix is an excellent and a very versatile ultra wide angle lens. I use it all the time. It is small, weather sealed, has a macro option and it works very well for video indoors. I have used it in small rooms with the S5IIx and if you use it with base ISO 4000 works very well for video. The internal zoom is very silent, by the way.

I like your night photos too. Nowadays high ISO is not a problem anymore.

I still have a hard time to understand what you really want.

You had already the 14-28 zoom. You sold it for the primes.

Now that you have experience with both, you ask us for our opinion, whether you should switch back.

Do you want us to confirm a decision which you already made? Or are we missing required information from you?

Too many. And I just now ordered the Sigma 50mm f/1.2.
I'm impressed with the weight of that lens for a F1.2 lens.

I was in the same boat as you. My choice was the pair LUMIX 14-28mm for landscape , architecture, travel snapshots and Sigma 24mm/2 for night shots and moving people

It was a tough choice not to buy the brighter LUMIX 18mm/1.8 but I choose the wider angle (14mm) to cover my needs.
Glad to know I'm not the only one. haha. Are you still tempted by the 18mm or not really?

Guillermo, the 14-28 Lumix is an excellent and a very versatile ultra wide angle lens. I use it all the time. It is small, weather sealed, has a macro option and it works very well for video indoors. I have used it in small rooms with the S5IIx and if you use it with base ISO 4000 works very well for video. The internal zoom is very silent, by the way.

I like your night photos too. Nowadays high ISO is not a problem anymore.
The S5II really does have better images in my opinion with high ISO. I still try to stay low. haha.

I still have a hard time to understand what you really want.

You had already the 14-28 zoom. You sold it for the primes.

Now that you have experience with both, you ask us for our opinion, whether you should switch back.

Do you want us to confirm a decision which you already made? Or are we missing required information from you?
I guess now I can afford to add a 14-28mm and just asked if it was redundant. In the end I know it's my decision and it's subjective. I wanted to read opinions.

I am totally confused with what you're looking for.

You realise that weighs 745 grams, but you're impressed? But 470 grams is too heavy?
Again, those lenses are heavy for me. It's good for what they are, but I wouldn't buy them due to their weight. I'm trying to stay very close to 400 grams for a lens.
I'm talking about weight in general. In the end 470 grams is 470 grams, but it's good for a full frame 2.8 zoom.

I'm impressed with the weight of that lens for a F1.2 lens.

I do understand a bit of your struggle, because I have a bit of the same.
I have already a nice collection of lenses, but want to travel light AND be able to shoot in the dark.

Right now I have Lumix 24-105mm F4, the Lumix 20-60mm, and the primes 35, 50 & 85mm F1.8.
At first I was thinking of the 18mm F1.8 for wider shots and lowlight (both for interiors and landscape), but now i'm thinking I will buy the Sigma 16-28mm F2.8.

I understand it is sharp, perhaps not F1.8 but still suitable for lower light situations and light to carry around.
I do mostly video, en the 16mm with the new firmware update combined with E-stabilization set to high would give a 22mm with insane stabilizations in some situations.

I will first buy the 28-200mm though. Definitely not suited for low light, but useful because of the large zoomrange and being very light to carry around.
But together that wil make the perfect travel kit for me.

So partly I understand your struggle, partly I think you also have a issue of G.A.S. (something I can also relate to :cool:).

Again, those lenses are heavy for me. It's good for what they are, but I wouldn't buy them due to their weight. I'm trying to stay very close to 400 grams for a lens.
Right. So you're looking for an ultrawide under/around 400 grams, or less. Which rules out a faster (f2.8) zoom.
I was looking at the Sigma 17mm f4 as a companion to the 28-70mm, which is 220 grams, there's also the 20mm f2 @ 370 grams, but that doesn't get you any wider than the 20-60mm. But it does give an extra stop and a bit of light. You already have the Lumix 18mm, nothing to add there. It's really just up to you to decide what works for you, we are not you.

I do understand a bit of your struggle, because I have a bit of the same.
I have already a nice collection of lenses, but want to travel light AND be able to shoot in the dark.

Right now I have Lumix 24-105mm F4, the Lumix 20-60mm, and the primes 35, 50 & 85mm F1.8.
At first I was thinking of the 18mm F1.8 for wider shots and lowlight (both for interiors and landscape), but now i'm thinking I will buy the Sigma 16-28mm F2.8.

I understand it is sharp, perhaps not F1.8 but still suitable for lower light situations and light to carry around.
I do mostly video, en the 16mm with the new firmware update combined with E-stabilization set to high would give a 22mm with insane stabilizations in some situations.

I will first buy the 28-200mm though. Definitely not suited for low light, but useful because of the large zoomrange and being very light to carry around.
But together that wil make the perfect travel kit for me.

So partly I understand your struggle, partly I think you also have an issue of G.A.S. (something I can also relate to :cool:).
Ahh. Traveling light and be able to shoot in the dark would be amazing. I think I do have an issue of G.A.S.

Right. So you're looking for an ultrawide under/around 400 grams, or less. Which rules out a faster (f2.8) zoom.
I was looking at the Sigma 17mm f4 as a companion to the 28-70mm, which is 220 grams, there's also the 20mm f2 @ 370 grams, but that doesn't get you any wider than the 20-60mm. But it does give an extra stop and a bit of light. You already have the Lumix 18mm, nothing to add there. It's really just up to you to decide what works for you, we are not you.
I love the size and weight of the 17mm F4. I think if that lens came out before the 18mm I would have purchased that one instead.

I think the problem is that manufacturers always keep releasing new lenses, offering some new possibilities for photographers. They would love you to keep buying their new lenses, but there is no end to that. When I got into the system I started with the "compulsory" 20-60 end the 50 1.8 as a bundle which seemed like a good starting kit. Later I got the 70-300 which is a logical extension to the focal range and I got the 24 1.8 mostly for interior shots. Only later, the the 14-28 and 28-200 combo was released and I can understand that that is an attractive combination for many people too. But for me photography is also just a hobby, one I already spend more money and less time on then I would like to. So I decided to spend more time taking pictures and less time watching gear reviews (or I should say, that is what I try to remind myself of :) ) So no, I'm not going to switch out lenses just to gain a few millimeter on the wide end or get a slightly lighter lens for those longer focal lengths but I decided to be happy with what I have and try to make the best of it. (Besides, I think that for me, the cut at 28mm would lead to much more lens swapping that having the cut at 70 mm, so there's that too). Maybe the solution is not a new lens, but a new mindset.

Well I would love to have had your 14-28 but also have to reign in spending. It sounds to me if your need to swap and desire to keep weight to a minimum perhaps time to selling up and consider going back to M4/3 rebuilding your lens options slowly after finding out what each does well.

I think the problem is that manufacturers always keep releasing new lenses, offering some new possibilities for photographers. They would love you to keep buying their new lenses, but there is no end to that. When I got into the system I started with the "compulsory" 20-60 end the 50 1.8 as a bundle which seemed like a good starting kit. Later I got the 70-300 which is a logical extension to the focal range and I got the 24 1.8 mostly for interior shots. Only later, the the 14-28 and 28-200 combo was released and I can understand that that is an attractive combination for many people too. But for me photography is also just a hobby, one I already spend more money and less time on then I would like to. So I decided to spend more time taking pictures and less time watching gear reviews (or I should say, that is what I try to remind myself of :) ) So no, I'm not going to switch out lenses just to gain a few millimeter on the wide end or get a slightly lighter lens for those longer focal lengths but I decided to be happy with what I have and try to make the best of it. (Besides, I think that for me, the cut at 28mm would lead to much more lens swapping that having the cut at 70 mm, so there's that too). Maybe the solution is not a new lens, but a new mindset.
That's true! haha. I'm glad that Panasonic is releasing lenses though. I hope more people buy into L Mount. :)

Well I would love to have had your 14-28 but also have to reign in spending. It sounds to me if your need to swap and desire to keep weight to a minimum perhaps time to selling up and consider going back to M4/3 rebuilding your lens options slowly after finding out what each does well.
Sometimes I do miss m43. I had m43 for around 8 years!

Would the Panasonic 14-28mm be redundant if I already have a Panasonic 18mm F1.8 and the Sigma 24mm F2??
I need to re-think my lens selection.
I was thinking: Panasonic 18mm, Sigma 24mm F2 and the Panasonic 28-200mm.

I tend to stick to 14-50mm though. That makes me think about the 20-60mm. Why did I get rid of it? I also want the Sigma 45mm F2.8 because of the size. :(
Decisions, decisions! haha
Short answer: no. But depends.

Few points I extract from your thread.

- I think you are overthinking it . I recognize it because I often have the same issue. But you have to ask yourself the question, “what is it that I am going to resolve by switching/buying lenses.”.
- The prime is for completely different purpose. Fast vs Convenience so having both is completely understandable.
- If money was less of a constraint, or no constraint at all you wouldn’t have asked this question at all. Why do you ask the question at all. I think partly to be reassured that it is ok to have overlapping lenses despite the costs, but that it is a wise decision because…. Whatever answer you will get from the forum members and want to make a decision based those answers.
- You indicate that now you don’t have to sell. But keep in mind that after a while of collecting you have to start to decide what to bring to vacation and will end up to a conclusion that you can’t take everything with you. So the decision proces will repeat. And the overthinking will start again because what if I buy a travel zoom….
- One solution is to think of compromises.

For you loving the wide angle but also kind a fast, actually not willing to have an overlapping….My advice would be to sell both lenses, and buy a Sigma 16-28/2.8. Member pdk has a very good comparison between LUMIX 14-28 and Sigma 16-28/2.8
You compromise 2mm wide end for faster aperture compared to 14-28, and you gain 2mm wide end for a tiny 1 stopish compared to 18/1.8
You only lose one stop compared to 24/2

So now you have one lens. Add the tiny Sigma 45/2.8 and you almost have your range while keeping the footprint not that heavy.

Every brand is producing lighter and usually smaller gear maybe with exception to M43 LoL (Olympus 150-600 copy ) as no matter what a beast you are lighter gear is more pleasurable to use.

Luckily Panasonic know this considering their primes, 28-200 and 100mm f2.8 macro, now if I wanted a 1x macro why would you choose another at twice the weight and size? I love my newly acquired S 70-300 for the same reasons besides the superb IQ... I used to carry my Pentax F*300 f4.5 prime alone weighing around 250g more and now zero benefit!

I used to be a masochistic maniac typically carrying 12kg backpack over 25km hard mountain treks with DSLR camera gear, 1 litre fresh water and 1 litre hot water flask (as I love tea breaks), now discovered water filter straws and I have a tiny gas stove... Now I try and go 'alpine'.

I see the older Sigma Art lenses used for very very keen prices now as their 1kg plus weight is not so sought after as most new ones are significantly lighter.

I don't get owners of S1/S1R wanting the new model to be the same size and weight, I can't see the benefit but I have to carry my gear fairly long distances but I can understand for studio use or something similar if you want more space and buttons.

One could argue about total weight carried i.e oneself... 12 kg backpack was almost 1/5 my body weight on those long hikes at 35 yo but now 250kg Z04 Carrot just joking :D

Regarding gear weight, Matt Granger YouTuber said about new Sony 300 f2.8 being 1/2 the weight of the older one, maybe DSLR version and how much nicer it is to use. :)

I have the 16-35/4 and also the Sigma 24/2 but there's no way the 24mm becomes redundant just because it's covered by the zoom (in fact I have the focal length covered by all three zooms I own). It's faster and wonderful to use.

And 14mm is quite different from 18mm.

Back