L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Would the 14-28mm be redundant if...

I'm really struggling to see the purpose of the thread to be honest. Money is an issue, you think you have too many lenses, and now you want to buy more lenses in a focal range you don't really use?
I tend to stick to 14-50mm, but did think about the 28-200mm for travel as I have a few trips coming up. I’m a teacher and have the summer off. :)

I'm really struggling to see the purpose of the thread to be honest. Money is an issue, you think you have too many lenses, and now you want to buy more lenses in a focal range you don't really use?
I don't think anyone really answered my question though. I know it's all subjective, but the question was if it was redundant to have the 14-28mm and I mean redundant because 18mm and 24mm is already covered with 14-28mm. I only have 2 lenses, so how is that too many lenses? I would love to have ALL lenses, but yes money is an issue. I can't afford all the lenses I want. If I'm asking about the 14-28mm is because I found a good deal and I can pay for that one.

I wanted an opinion on lens selection and did mention 28-200mm because it seems great for travel. It is rare when I go beyond 50mm, but why not have the option? I don't have to buy now. Been extra hours at school. Are these forums always hostile?

The responses have felt that way. Your first response was the issue wasn't the lenses, but I'm not having any issues with my current lenses. They're amazing! I was thinking of adding a 14-28mm and maybe a 28-200mm for my travels. Then you said "I'm really struggling to see the purpose of the thread to be honest. Money is an issue, you think you have too many lenses, and now you want to buy more lenses in a focal range you don't really use?" I never said I had too many lenses.

I guess it's all miscommunication. I just wanted the original question answered and yes I know it's subjective and sorry for confusing y'all.. Didn't want to create too many threads. I guess there's already a 28-200mm lens thread.

I don't think anyone really answered my question though.
They certainly did. If you "need" the f1.8, you need the 18mm.
Myself, I've just picked up the 14-28mm, and combined with my Siggy 28-70mm f2.8, that will cover 99% of my shooting wants. Not needs. Light, compact, sharp, and pretty inexpensive in the grand scheme of things

From my perspective there is room for all 3 lenses. Primes have their uses, zooms join in with flexibility. Depending on where you are photographing. Europe with it old cities and churches I want a zoom, because of crowds and the flexibility. When I go out in my hometown where I know what the vies demand I love primes. Personally I have no qualms of using my S5II up to ISO 12800, if there is troublesome noise, software exist for this purpose. So I had to chose one, I would go for the 14-28. But luckily I do not have to choose.

From my perspective there is room for all 3 lenses. Primes have their uses, zooms join in with flexibility. Depending on where you are photographing. Europe with it old cities and churches I want a zoom, because of crowds and the flexibility. When I go out in my hometown where I know what the vies demand I love primes. Personally I have no qualms of using my S5II up to ISO 12800, if there is troublesome noise, software exist for this purpose. So I had to chose one, I would go for the 14-28. But luckily I do not have to choose.
Thank you so much for answering my original question. :)
I love using primes and thought about the 14-28mm, but wondered if it was redundant. I used to have the Panasonic 7-14mm and loved it, but I got so used to primes. I think I got used to the m43 mindset that I had. My max ISO was 1600 and now I try to keep ISO very low. You're also right about the software. I've been impressed with DXO Pure Raw. I've tried playing with my old m43 files and it made the pictures feel brand new. haha

They certainly did. If you "need" the f1.8, you need the 18mm.
Myself, I've just picked up the 14-28mm, and combined with my Siggy 28-70mm f2.8, that will cover 99% of my shooting wants. Not needs. Light, compact, sharp, and pretty inexpensive in the grand scheme of things
You have some nice lenses. I borrowed the 28-70mm from a friend and used it at a concert. I was very impressed.

And, the sigma f2/24 mm is not fully weathersealed. So if you have weather to think about… again, the 14-28. It is about the tool for the job. If you only have one, I really would want to have the multipurpose pocketknife eqv. Aka the weathersealed zoom

And, the sigma f2/24 mm is not fully weathersealed. So if you have weather to think about… again, the 14-28. It is about the tool for the job. If you only have one, I really would want to have the multipurpose pocketknife eqv. Aka the weathersealed zoom
Ahhh. That's something I didn't know or didn't think about! I'm going to Mexico and they have rainy summers. So maybe I should sell the Sigma 24mm F2...

My future travel kit will consist of the 28-200, the 14-28 and the 50 f1.8. Full cover(for most situations I might need) plus a lowlight/portrait/prime option. All small, light weathersealed lenses that fit in a fairly small bag. Add Ipad and I can do most stuff needed on the road.

That seems like a good travel kit which is something I've been thinking about. I saw the gallery for the 28-200mm on dpreview and I was impressed!

And for me, personally, if I only bring one prime, it will allways be the 50. I feel this is the most versatile and demanding prime. Plus the sense of accomplishment when I get good pics with that is like nothing else.
It was my first lens on my first proper camera. The zooms are the net I throw over everything «just in case».

I think you jump back and forth with your ideas, as soon as you hear a new pro or con for a specific lens, but you do not relax and sit down and think first about your individual use case.

The answers to my questions I asked you earlier look like, you are not yet settled yet for your genre of photography.

You want to do all with one lens. From travel photography to handheld nightshots. In my honest opinion, the best interims solution for you would be to buy the best Smartphone you can get (Google Pixel 8 Pro or Apple 15 Max Pro) and use that for at least 1 month for everything. Really everything. Do not touch your camera in that phase. You will be surprised about the quality of the images you will get, if you take it seriously.

This is a similar approach like in the old days of film, to take only one 50mm or one 35mm lens for a year and shoot only with that single lens. Nothing else. Nowadays with digital photography, the learning curve is steeper and 1 year analog is like 1 month digital.

This is the way how to learn photography and at the same time explore your own preferences. Try it, watch yourself and listen during this tine to your stomach feeling what you like and do not like.

After that you will know what will be the lens you should use instead of buying and selling and trying everything.

Think about YOUR use cases. No matter what others tell you what they prefer. What do you enjoy to take images of, where (region, seasons, weather) and when (daylight/night)? How much weight do you want to carry with you, shall people notice that you take pictures? etc. etc. etc.

The more lenses you have, the more difficult it is to decide. Images do not get better with more lenses if you do not use them for what they were designed for. One month, one lens. Zoom with your feet. And them tell us your experience here and what did change for you.

You have some nice lenses. I borrowed the 28-70mm from a friend and used it at a concert. I was very impressed.
That's where you're getting lost. It's nothing to do with "having nice lenses"
It is about having lenses that suit your shooting style, and can enable the vision or ideas for the images you want to create. You really have to sit down and work this out for yourself, not flit from lens to lens to lens, just because you think they're nice, or someone else said so.

…and Siggy 28-70mm f2.8.
For me and my kind of shooting 2.8 is neither or, in a way. I always need way more light or substantially less so the variable zooms and a bright prime or two is the way. But this have come from practice and experimentation over years. And it is my experience. So some trial and error is unavoidable. And then is the question. Are you a gear collector or a picture collector. I happen to be both. But the gear wishes comes from what my current gear is missing. Like the 28-200 is on pre-order because the 70-300 tends to be left at home. It is big and heavy for just carring around, and just comes out when I plan a shoot with it. But the new one can be a part of everyday kit if I would want.

For me and my kind of shooting 2.8 is neither or, in a way.
I came from m4/3, and was quite happy with f1.4 primes. So 2.8 on 35mm format works pretty well for me. Yeah, I have the Lumix 50mm f1.8 as well, but I tend to use that for shallow DOF rather than really low light. I also find the 70mm end of the 28-70mm pretty good at f2.8, so I'm not really in any hurry to try something like the 85mm f1.8. Curiosity will probably get the better of me at some point though he he he.
I also don't mind adding a bit of flash either, but that's also something extra to carry. I do like the results though

I also don't mind adding a bit of flash either, but that's also something extra to carry.
Regarding flash, I have my tiny olympus fl-3 (i think it is called, the flippy-turney one that came with the oly bodies instrad of a built in one.) I filed of the lip and now it works as a charm. It uses the camera battery and is tiiiny but gives a nice fill. They are cheap on the used marked. No guarantees and use with caution and so forth. But I love it for the extra fill.

I think you jump back and forth with your ideas, as soon as you hear a new pro or con for a specific lens, but you do not relax and sit down and think first about your individual use case.

The answers to my questions I asked you earlier look like, you are not yet settled yet for your genre of photography.

You want to do all with one lens. From travel photography to handheld nightshots. In my honest opinion, the best interims solution for you would be to buy the best Smartphone you can get (Google Pixel 8 Pro or Apple 15 Max Pro) and use that for at least 1 month for everything. Really everything. Do not touch your camera in that phase. You will be surprised about the quality of the images you will get, if you take it seriously.

This is a similar approach like in the old days of film, to take only one 50mm or one 35mm lens for a year and shoot only with that single lens. Nothing else. Nowadays with digital photography, the learning curve is steeper and 1 year analog is like 1 month digital.

This is the way how to learn photography and at the same time explore your own preferences. Try it, watch yourself and listen during this tine to your stomach feeling what you like and do not like.

After that you will know what will be the lens you should use instead of buying and selling and trying everything.

Think about YOUR use cases. No matter what others tell you what they prefer. What do you enjoy to take images of, where (region, seasons, weather) and when (daylight/night)? How much weight do you want to carry with you, shall people notice that you take pictures? etc. etc. etc.

The more lenses you have, the more difficult it is to decide. Images do not get better with more lenses if you do not use them for what they were designed for. One month, one lens. Zoom with your feet. And them tell us your experience here and what did change for you.
I have the iPhone 15 Pro Max and yes quality is amazing for what it is. I still prefer a camera. I have been trying different lenses to see what suits me and what I like the most. I've discovered I tend to stay within 14-50mm. It's rare when I go beyond 50mm, but there's instances when I do want to zoom in more. From what I've discovered I prefer small, bright, semi wide, and light lenses.

That's where you're getting lost. It's nothing to do with "having nice lenses"
It is about having lenses that suit your shooting style, and can enable the vision or ideas for the images you want to create. You really have to sit down and work this out for yourself, not flit from lens to lens to lens, just because you think they're nice, or someone else said so.
You're right and that lens doesn't really fit my needs based on weight. I can admire that lens for what it is which is why I said it's "nice" but I'm not asking about it or want to buy it. I was making a comment based from personal experience.

For me and my kind of shooting 2.8 is neither or, in a way. I always need way more light or substantially less so the variable zooms and a bright prime or two is the way. But this have come from practice and experimentation over years. And it is my experience. So some trial and error is unavoidable. And then is the question. Are you a gear collector or a picture collector. I happen to be both. But the gear wishes comes from what my current gear is missing. Like the 28-200 is on pre-order because the 70-300 tends to be left at home. It is big and heavy for just carring around, and just comes out when I plan a shoot with it. But the new one can be a part of everyday kit if I would want.
I agree with bright primes. I already have the "bright" lenses with focal lengths that I tend to use which is why I wanted to ask if having the 14-28mm was redundant. I only like to carry one lens at a time which is why I thought about the zoom. I did spend an entire summer with just the 24mm on the S5.

Back