L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

What about a S7?

Nevyn72

LMF-Patron Gold
It looks like @Richard Wong and friends perhaps saw more than one lens and one camera?

It might ofcourse also be an MFT camera...

Sorry never mind, this will not be a FF. I wasn't reading correctly.

Well, I do like there option number 3 :cool: an aps-c sized l-mount small camera. There are nice l-mount aps-c lenses from Sigma, I guess originally for Leica CL etc.

Well, I do like there option number 3 :cool: an aps-c sized l-mount small camera. There are nice l-mount aps-c lenses from Sigma, I guess originally for Leica CL etc.
If this would happen, than you just saw the last M43 camera with the S9ii, and you also saw the last M43 lens from Panasonic.

I can tell you that at the Lumix Summit, Panasonic only showed us the S9 and the 2 new lenses.
The embargo for everything announced at the summit were already expired Spread The News1

embargo.jpg

Not insider info, but I personally believe Panasonic will never create APS-C L-mount camera. Yes if they do, that means no more m43 cameras.
No company can support 3 lines of cameras.

I can tell you that at the Lumix Summit, Panasonic only showed us the S9 and the 2 new lenses.
The embargo for everything announced at the summit were already expired Spread The News1

View attachment 4612

Not insider info, but I personally believe Panasonic will never create APS-C L-mount camera. Yes if they do, that means no more m43 cameras.
Thank you for the update Richard!

My guess is that Panasonic won't be announcing anything notable next week given that they've only just had a LUMIX Summit and they usually have an event for launches of new cameras. Sean Robinson mentioned that he would be at the Cinegear 2024 show in LA next week so maybe there will be some new piece of video gear released ahead of the show?

I suspect that the June 5th thing is a red herring and nothing will happen. I can’t believe Panasonic would run two announcements so close together. If nothing else, the marketing department probably don’t have the capacity.

So.... what i wrote here is 100% correct.

But outside the event/trip (back in New Zealand), they showed us the Lumix GH7, which has just been announced. That's a completely separate embargo, most people at the summit didn't know about that camera at all.

The Lumix summit was really completely about the S9 and it was planned like that from the beginning long time ago as far as I know. (despite some people claims otherwise)

Just thought I should come back and clarify this now the GH7 is announced

So.... what i wrote here is 100% correct.

But outside the event/trip (back in New Zealand), they showed us the Lumix GH7, which has just been announced. That's a completely separate embargo, most people at the summit didn't know about that camera at all.
No worries Richard, i understand.
Right when you answered it I wondered, thinking mmmm Richard not invited :rolleyes: bit than saw your wording.

But thanks on coming back on us on this and I look forward on seeing your review tonight (have to go to work now).

But it looks like a beast of a camera, i cannot wait when I see the features in a coming S2H ;)

To me it's weird how they release models almost or in the case of S5ii vs S5iiX exactly the same! Yes you can upgrade via licence on S5ii to get HDMI ProRes but why not the rest of S5iiX specs?

Was there any need to have an alternative cooling system and more articulate rear screen on GH7 vs G9ii? Being unknowledgeable about the GH series I was fully expecting reviewers to say it had no mechanical shutter (per video use) but it does?

Buying huge capacity CF cards for this is so expensive using Pro Res RAW, surely using such formats a videographer would be using higher gear no, and not a M43 sensor? I'm no videographer but can only think of pro level Planet Earth type slo-mo where you need the reach and framerate/ sensor readout above FF?

Again I don't know but I don't see YouTube amateurs trying Planet Earth pro stuff getting anywhere near needing ProRes RAW etc. This consumer equipment seems to me to be beyond the needs of an enthusiastic nature photographer. Pro Res RAW etc. really needed for TouTube?

If you're a Kubrick or Speilberg I understand or if you are doing high-end commercial but... ?

I think for the vast majority this shilling of high-end pro res RAW stuff sucks consumers with money to burn into literally something they can never take advantage of, I've heard stuff like oh my real estate business needs this... LoL Z04 Auslachen

But thanks on coming back on us on this and I look forward on seeing your review tonight (have to go to work now).

But it looks like a beast of a camera, i cannot wait when I see the features in a coming S2H ;)

I hope you'll enjoy the review. I've been working past midnight pretty much every night on this review since back from Japan.
I hope to see most of the GH7 features on the S2H too. The GH7 set a REALLY high benchmark and expectation for the S1H successor. Sometimes it can be a bit of a trap for themselves as people always want MORE after seeing what a previous camera can do., and not aware there are always compromises/limitations on technology.
That's why perfect camera can never exist.

As a software developer myself, I really hate it when people say "why can't you do that, it's just 2 lines of code or you have the technology already/you guys are lazy", but in fact we might need to re-write half the software to enable something that looks easy. That's why I never assume anything is easy even though it may look like that from outside.

I hope you'll enjoy the review. I've been working past midnight pretty much every night on this review since back from Japan.
I hope to see most of the GH7 features on the S2H too. The GH7 set a REALLY high benchmark and expectation for the S1H successor. Sometimes it can be a bit of a trap for themselves as people always want MORE after seeing what a previous camera can do., and not aware there are always compromises/limitations on technology.
That's why perfect camera can never exist.

As a software developer myself, I really hate it when people say "why can't you do that, it's just 2 lines of code or you have the technology already/you guys are lazy", but in fact we might need to re-write half the software to enable something that looks easy. That's why I never assume anything is easy even though it may look like that from outside.
And I always thought you are a 100% video guy :p Doing weddings and such.

I presume (and hope) the Lumix team has the code optimized for multiplatform with a object-oriented design.
It looks like the additions/optimizations in the software side of Lumix cameras are accelerating, that often means that the software health is in a good state.

I just read that the GH6 will also support ARRI-log, so they have it also working for older cameras (if you can call a 1,5 year old camera old).

But I agree, if the processor of the S5iiX is slower than that of the S9 and the GH7, not everything can be backported....
Not even talking about the commercial reasons why they might not want too...

Buying huge capacity CF cards for this is so expensive using Pro Res RAW, surely using such formats a videographer would be using higher gear no, and not a M43 sensor? I'm no videographer but can only think of pro level Planet Earth type slo-mo where you need the reach and framerate/ sensor readout above FF?
Watch the making of the Cookie Box/jar? movie that Nevyn72 posted, and you'll start to understand.
The GH7 can do things that are impossible with the bigger, heavier and more expensive Pro gear can't do. Like function as a true Hybrid camera. Watch some of the stuff Ben Staley produces and you'll start to get it.

I hope you'll enjoy the review
I really liked your review, I found things what I didn't find in the others, yours is just a lot more extensive.

Two observations though:
1). On Facebook you asked about slightly overexposed shots. I than said I thought it was a look, but in this video I saw that it was sometimes slightly overexposed. (My real name is John Belmer, if you just wondered which of the replyers i am. I'm also the one who loved your photos, but hated the bokeh Z04 Breakdance.gif )

But I first thought it was everywhere, but than I saw some shots where ok (for example the S5iiX ones in your garden, but than the one beside it (the canon) did look slightly overexposed.

2). About the 4x mono (S5iiX/GH6) vs 1x stereo audiotracks GH7), very useful but it wasn't already not much of a hassle.

Perhaps you already knew, but just to be sure you will know if you don't:
In DaVinci Resolve, select all your clips on the mediapage and select properties, and than audio.
Remove the lower 3 tracks and switch the first one to stereo (using channel 1 and 2).
Click ok

Now if you drag the clips on the timeline they have already one stereo track, instead of 4x mono. You can also sync your clips with separate audio and put these directly in the clips, but I hardly use that so I would have to check this again up about how it works, but it is possible in Resolve.

For the rest: thank you for another excellent really in-depth review Daumenhoch Smilie

I really liked your review, I found things what I didn't find in the others, yours is just a lot more extensive.

Two observations though:
1). On Facebook you asked about slightly overexposed shots. I than said I thought it was a look, but in this video I saw that it was sometimes slightly overexposed. (My real name is John Belmer, if you just wondered which of the replyers i am. I'm also the one who loved your photos, but hated the bokeh Z04 Breakdance.gif )

But I first thought it was everywhere, but than I saw some shots where ok (for example the S5iiX ones in your garden, but than the one beside it (the canon) did look slightly overexposed.

2). About the 4x mono (S5iiX/GH6) vs 1x stereo audiotracks GH7), very useful but it wasn't already not much of a hassle.

Perhaps you already knew, but just to be sure you will know if you don't:
In DaVinci Resolve, select all your clips on the mediapage and select properties, and than audio.
Remove the lower 3 tracks and switch the first one to stereo (using channel 1 and 2).
Click ok

Now if you drag the clips on the timeline they have already one stereo track, instead of 4x mono. You can also sync your clips with separate audio and put these directly in the clips, but I hardly use that so I would have to check this again up about how it works, but it is possible in Resolve.

For the rest: thank you for another excellent really in-depth review Daumenhoch Smilie

oh that's you John!
are you saying my GH7 review still looks a bit overexposed? I made some adjustments to slighgly increase the contrast and also make it slightly darker. but will continue to adjust if needed. so yes please let me know

and re Davinci workflow, thanks for the tips. I do similar things too. But the worst for me is when i import a new clip into the timeline half way though editing and forgot to remove the extra audio tracks first, then it overlaps/overwite a bunch of my existing audio and I didn't notice that. Yes it's human error because i wasn't careful with the track, but at the same time, it seems unnecessary issue that could be avoided.
Thanks again John!

Back