L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

TTArtisan 11mm f2.8 Fisheye Sample Images

pdk42

I guess few users will have heard of this lens, let alone own one. But I really like fisheye lenses so I had to get one for the L-mount. This TTArtisan lens is really nice - like many lenses from these bijou Taiwan manufacturers, this one has a full metal build and feels very well made. The optical performance is pretty good too. By f5.6 it's pretty well sharp right across the frame. At f8 there's very little complain about - sharp, excellent contrast, good flare control, and great colours.

So, here are a few samples. All are un-corrected - why have a fisheye and de-fish? !!

Soft Light over Charlecote by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Winter Afternoon by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Bridge over the Grand Union Canal by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Dead Tree by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Twisted Tree on Castle Hill by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Wiating for Opening Time by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Mid Winter Sun by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

The Tree In the Middle by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

It's Snow Bridge by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Icy Lake by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Waiting for the Trolls by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Another Day's Images Spent by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Turn Left Past the Second Tree by Paul Kaye, on Flickr

Very impressive, never really considered a fish-eye lens, but you clearly know how to use it well. Have you tried the Laowa 9mm 5.6? Not a fish-eye, but looks it would be fun to play with.

Very impressive, never really considered a fish-eye lens, but you clearly know how to use it well. Have you tried the Laowa 9mm 5.6? Not a fish-eye, but looks it would be fun to play with.
I’m not aware of that Laowa lens. Is it 9mm rectilinear?

Yes, they make a range rectilinear wide angle lenses, including shift lenses, of which the 9mm f5.6 is the widest for full frame cameras. They don’t make a fisheye for FF, but do make a 4mm/ 2.8 for mft. They make a number of other unique lenses. I haven’t tried any of them myself.

Only now, after studying your photos I realize that you control the 'curvature' of the horizon by tilting your camera up or down and then later crop to the composition you want. It creates yet a whole different challenge to see if you can make the distortion work for you instead of against you I guess. I can now see why this could work well with an XPan crop. I love the swirly landscapes you create with it while the actual fish-eye effect is sometimes hidden in plain sight.

Only now, after studying your photos I realize that you control the 'curvature' of the horizon by tilting your camera up or down and then later crop to the composition you want. It creates yet a whole different challenge to see if you can make the distortion work for you instead of against you I guess. I can now see why this could work well with an XPan crop. I love the swirly landscapes you create with it while the actual fish-eye effect is sometimes hidden in plain sight.
Ah ha - you've discovered my secret :)

Yes, if you keep the horizon in the middle of the frame then there is no distortion left/right on the horizon itself. But as you move up/down it creeps in - at the maximum near the edges. Large trees near the edge will become very banana-shaped so I try to avoid that. Sometimes with landscapes you can allow a little bending of the horizon - unless the viewer knows the scene it's probably not too noticeable. As you say, cropping XPan helps a lot because you're losing the areas with the most distortion.

I had a fisheye for my Nikons, I still have a fisheye for MFT, so maybe it is time to go on and buy one for Lumix. :)

I have that lens on order.
I got the TTArtisan 11mm f2.8 today, and had some fun shooting a few pictures with it, working in 65:24 aspect ratio. And then I wondered if the fisheye distortion could be fixed, so it would look like a 11mm wide angle lens instead of a fisheye. In Lightroom I went to <Lens Corrections><Profile><Setup: Custom><Make: GoPro><Model HERO10 Black><Profile Adobe (HERO10 Black)><Amount Distortion ~164>. And wala it worked, very nice wide angle images.

Screenshot 2023-04-04 at 8.16.31 PM.png

I got the TTArtisan 11mm f2.8 today, and had some fun shooting a few pictures with it, working in 65:24 aspect ratio. And then I wondered if the fisheye distortion could be fixed, so it would look like a 11mm wide angle lens instead of a fisheye. In Lightroom I went to <Lens Corrections><Profile><Setup: Custom><Make: GoPro><Model HERO10 Black><Profile Adobe (HERO10 Black)><Amount Distortion ~164>. And wala it worked, very nice wide angle images.

View attachment 237
Useful tip. I’ve found that the Nikon fisheye correction works well too.

I bought this lens nearly 2 years ago and since it is a small companion in my bag (small compared to my Sigma Art lenses...). The sharpness is very good, it is only showing sometimes very heavy flare if looking into the sun.

At that time I found an interesting article in the web, that this lens is not a 11mm, but instead more a classic 15mm Fisheye (from the kind of distortion). Therefore the profile for the Canon EF 15mm Fisheye works very well, also with panoramic software like PT GUI and others.

https://pt4pano.com/blog/2020/ttartisan-11mm-fullframe-fisheye

This article is in German but I think deepl will work. If someone has detailed questions, I or someone else will for sure help to translate some special parts.

I made some comparisons how the TTArtisan works for interiors:

1. Picture TTArtisan 2.8/15mm Fisheye out of Cam
2. Defished with Fisheye Hemi (only vertical lines are defished)
3. Defished with Canon EF 2.8/15mm Fisheye Profile (more parts are cropped at the side, but horizontal lines are straight)
4. Picture from Sigma 14-14 DG DN at 14mm out of Cam

Result: Even with correct defishing the angle of the Fisheye is wider than a real 14mm. If you use the semidefishing from Fisheye Hemi it is even wider, with only small crops to the original. For me the lines on the ground are not so important as the vertical lines from the walls. So this is a very helpful tool!
The sharpness and contrast of the Sigma is visible better, but there are options in photoshop. At the end I have no problems to use the TTArtisan if I need the angle of view.

Attachments

• 1-Fisheye-original.jpg
    EXIF
    1-Fisheye-original.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 2-Korrektur-FisheyeHemi205.jpg
    EXIF
    2-Korrektur-FisheyeHemi205.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 3-TTArtisan_Profile_CanonEF15.jpg
    EXIF
    3-TTArtisan_Profile_CanonEF15.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 10
  • 4-TTArtisan-Sigma14-24DN.jpg
    EXIF
    4-TTArtisan-Sigma14-24DN.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 10
I made some comparisons how the TTArtisan works for interiors:

1. Picture TTArtisan 2.8/15mm Fisheye out of Cam
2. Defished with Fisheye Hemi (only vertical lines are defished)
3. Defished with Canon EF 2.8/15mm Fisheye Profile (more parts are cropped at the side, but horizontal lines are straight)
4. Picture from Sigma 14-14 DG DN at 14mm out of Cam

Result: Even with correct defishing the angle of the Fisheye is wider than a real 14mm. If you use the semidefishing from Fisheye Hemi it is even wider, with only small crops to the original. For me the lines on the ground are not so important as the vertical lines from the walls. So this is a very helpful tool!
The sharpness and contrast of the Sigma is visible better, but there are options in photoshop. At the end I have no problems to use the TTArtisan if I need the angle of view.
That’s very helpful. Thank you for posting.

I bought this lens nearly 2 years ago and since it is a small companion in my bag (small compared to my Sigma Art lenses...). The sharpness is very good, it is only showing sometimes very heavy flare if looking into the sun.

At that time I found an interesting article in the web, that this lens is not a 11mm, but instead more a classic 15mm Fisheye (from the kind of distortion). Therefore the profile for the Canon EF 15mm Fisheye works very well, also with panoramic software like PT GUI and others.

https://pt4pano.com/blog/2020/ttartisan-11mm-fullframe-fisheye

This article is in German but I think deepl will work. If someone has detailed questions, I or someone else will for sure help to translate some special parts.
That’s a very interesting article. Google Translate does a fantastic job at translating it into English!

Back