L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Steam season has started

Pete_W

LMF-Patron
It's autumn in the southern hemisphere and that means the heritage rail groups begin running regular steam train operations. Last weekend there was a festival of steam on about 100km south of Sydney. Some great locos were in action on the day. This shot is of legendary 38-class streamlined locomotive 3801.

Panasonic S5 + 24-105mm lens at 48mm, f8, 1/800s, ISO-640, taken 18-03-2023

Great shots Pete! I must get up to the National Rail museum in York. They sometimes do evening photo opportunities. You can wander around the yard and shoot away at your whim. With the locos belching out stream and strong spotlights to highlight it, you can get some fantastically moody shots. Great in mono.

Very good image!

processed with DxO Photolab and using DxO Filmpack Fuji ACROS.

There is a Fuji Acros film pack avalailabe for DXO? I have to get this. Fuji Acros is my preferred setting with my Fuji Xpro 2!

with 24-105mm

The image quality is impressive. Maybe it is because it is at F8? It is a pitty that this zoom is so big and heavy...

Great shots Pete! I must get up to the National Rail museum in York. They sometimes do evening photo opportunities. You can wander around the yard and shoot away at your whim. With the locos belching out stream and strong spotlights to highlight it, you can get some fantastically moody shots. Great in mono.

Thanks Paul.
If you get to York, I would love to see your photos. That would be very cool.

Very good image!

Thanks Dirk!

The image quality is impressive. Maybe it is because it is at F8? It is a pitty that this zoom is so big and heavy...

For rail photos, I usually shoot f8 or f11 as I want to get everything in focus in the scene. Yes, the 24-105mm is big and heavy, but it's a really versatile focal range if you're walking around a railway station or rail yard taking photos. On MFT I used to take out the Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100 f2.8 lenses but found myself swapping frequently.

There is a Fuji Acros film pack avalailabe for DXO? I have to get this. Fuji Acros is my preferred setting with my Fuji Xpro 2!

Yes indeed! DxO Filmpack 6 has a good number of Fuji simulations, including ACROS with a number of different filters. I find it an awesome tool and easy to use.

Back