L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Somewhat obscure software updates

wh1tby

As I have noted elsewhere, I am new to the L Mount and Lumix series of cameras and am a new owner of an S5II with which I am very impressed.

I registered the camera and lenses I have with Panasonic and was somewhat surprised that they did not let me know that there was a software update for the S5II (1.1 on 23 March). I was delivered the camera at the end of January so it had V1.0 firmware. I fell across the update in a review by the Hybrid Shooter who mentioned that some of the issues in V1.0 had been fixed with V1.1, so I went searching and eventually found it. It also had an update for the 70 - 300 mm lens.

However, given I am not familiar with Lumix, is this normal. For Fuji, Canon and Sony (and Nikon in the past) I would get notifications about an update with a link and not have to go and hunt it down once I even knew it existed. Odd for a very large company like Panasonic. Now I know, I have bookmarked the software update page and will regularly check for updates, Just curious really.

I would get notifications about an update with a link

Did you give Panasonic your email address while you registered the camera?

If not, how can they contact you? If yes, check your spam folder.

I think I am not registerd with Panasonic (shame on me), so I do not get their emails - if they send those emails at all, which I do not know.

But thanks to the Forum here, you will get that information early enough I hope.

Reactions: AZ1
Yes they have my email address and their emails are not going into junk/spam. I always review the Junk/Spam folder before deleting, too many false classifications to not check each day. They are sending me info on the 3 year warranty and support period without a problem. So I think the problem is that they do not send any information. I did review the forum for info but could not find any information but that may be because I am not looking for the right thing. Again I only knew about the update due to a mention by one the You Tube photographers I follow.

I've registered my cameras and lenses with Panasonic but never receive any notification of firmware updates. I don't think they do this at all.

I've found that someone usually always posts about new firmware releases in the forums, and sometimes there will be a news article on various websites.

It pays to check the Panasonic firmware site now and then. They just released updates for a few S lenses. I have the 24-105 and updated that yesterday.

My local Panasonic (Australia) just tweeted about the firmware updates, so that’s another channel of information.

I think we have to make sure that we share news about firmware updates etc. timely in the forum.

If someone subscribes that subforum, he will get also emails about it.

Back