L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Some Scotland Mono Landscapes

Excellent! Well done. That is now intriguing...

Maybe I should consider a second hand S1R in the future. But it is so biiiiiig...and to just own the gear does not make these photos automatically on my SD card :rolleyes:

Where is this by the way?

Maybe I should consider a second hand S1R in the future. But it is so biiiiiig...and to just own the gear does not make these photos automatically on my SD card :rolleyes:
At current used prices it's a bit of a bargain in terms of what you get for the price. But it can't be denied that it's big and heavy. But actually, once it's in the hand and you're using it, its size isn't an issue (and arguably it's something of an advantage). The EVF quality is quite amazing and the tilt/flip screen design is perfect for still photography - definitely better than the fold-out design of the S5.

So far as IQ is concerned, at base ISO it definitely delivers a more malleable file than the S5 and of course there's more detail, but it's not an improvement on the S5 in all ways. Noise is notably worse at ISO 3200 and above, and if you go pushing shadows at these higher ISOs, things get pretty ugly. Basically, the S1R sensor is not ISO-less; it doesn't tolerate under-exposure and correction later very well, so you need to expose well and raise the ISO as needed. And finally, long exposures (above around 30s) can cause "salt and pepper" noise which is quite ugly and hard to get rid of. You'll need to use long exposure NR to avoid the worst of it, but even then, if you go pushing the exposure or shadows, even at ISO 100, on a long exposure shot then you'll get into noise problems. The S1R is definitely a worse astro camera than the S5.

If all this sounds negative on IQ, then I'm over-stating it. At base ISO for exposures under around 20s then the files are very clean and they take a lot of punishment in LR. It makes for a very good landscape camera.

So, if you're thinking of giving the R a whirl, then I'd say do it. At current prices there's not a lot to be lost if you don't like it.

So, if you're thinking of giving the R a whirl, then I'd say do it. At current prices there's not a lot to be lost if you don't like it.

Sounds intriguing. But I need to selfdiscipline me more atm. I spent already way too much money into the L-Mount system and some other stuff (Nikon Fc etc.).

I save already every penny for a potential new Lumix L-Mount body in rangefinder style (if that will happen at all abefore I turn 100) or maybe also a new MFT GX10 or Fuji Xpro4......or....

I am just crazy, I know...

Great pictures!

I've always wanted to visit Scotland... Shoot some pictures, drink some... you know... drinks... :) But I am not sure I'll be able to do that...

Great pictures!

I've always wanted to visit Scotland... Shoot some pictures, drink some... you know... drinks... :) But I am not sure I'll be able to do that...
Well, the Scots let the English in, so they'll let anyone else in too. If you're not English you'll be very welcome there (actually I'm joking, some Scots like the English, esp if they are not members of the Tory party!).

Well, the Scots let the English in, so they'll let anyone else in too. If you're not English you'll be very welcome there (actually I'm joking, some Scots like the English, esp if they are not members of the Tory party!).
I am from Russia and starting from 24 Feb 2022, Russians are not quite welcomed in many countries, no matter if we support Putin and his madness or not. As you can guess I am not his supporter. Yet, getting a UK visa is nearly impossible for me for now...

Well, Malaysia is not only an English Speaking China, but also it partly England, as it was an English colony :) But local whiskey is terrible :)

I am from Russia and starting from 24 Feb 2022, Russians are not quite welcomed in many countries, no matter if we support Putin and his madness or not. As you can guess I am not his supporter. Yet, getting a UK visa is nearly impossible for me for now...

Well, Malaysia is not only an English Speaking China, but also it partly England, as it was an English colony :) But local whiskey is terrible :)
That's so sad to hear. Ordinary people end up getting caught in the games the politicians play. I guess compared to those dying in war we shouldn't complain, but loss of travel and residence rights are a blow to our personal freedoms. In the UK we've had Brexit of course, which is an ongoing "shitshow" of epic proportions. The days of me being able to travel, live, and work in Europe are now over - all because Boris Johnson and a bunch of truth twisters pulled us out of the EU against our wishes.

Anyhow - good luck. I hope that the Russia/Ukraine situation gets sorted and we can all live in harmony.

Beautiful work, Paul. The last one is my favorite, but they're all great. I would definitely enjoy visiting a gallery with photos like this in person. For landscapes I usually think about vibrant colors, but I will need to give B&W a try sometime. Thanks for the inspiration!

Beautiful work, Paul. The last one is my favorite, but they're all great. I would definitely enjoy visiting a gallery with photos like this in person. For landscapes I usually think about vibrant colors, but I will need to give B&W a try sometime. Thanks for the inspiration!
Thanks for your kind words Matt.

Back