L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

I love the results from the foveon sensor - I currently have three foveon cameras the SD14, SD1 Merrill and DP2 Merrill. The output from the sensor reminds me of my Kodachrome slides (an example here) that I have taken with a Leica M6 and leica M-mount lenses. I am excited by the thought of a L-mount camera from Sigma with a full frame foveon sensor - the quality from an excellent lens and full frame foveon sensor should be breathtaking!
peterkinchington.com

I love the results from the foveon sensor - I currently have three foveon cameras the SD14, SD1 Merrill and DP2 Merrill. The output from the sensor reminds me of my Kodachrome slides (an example here) that I have taken with a Leica M6 and leica M-mount lenses. I am excited by the thought of a L-mount camera from Sigma with a full frame foveon sensor - the quality from an excellent lens and full frame foveon sensor should be breathtaking!
peterkinchington.com

Hi Peter,

so do I. This is one of the major reasons why I am so excited about this L-MOUNT alliance.

The most often used argument from peopple against a Sigma SD10/14/15/Merrill/Quattro was always the fear, that if they change their mind, they are cought in the SA mount. And the could not use thier Nikon, Canon etc. lenses on Sa mount. Ta least not easy and not with AF (there are workarounds with special adapters etc.)

Now with the L-Mount, Sigma announced already many different adapters so i.e Canon users can use their lenses on a Sigma L-MOUNT camera with Foveon sensor.

This is REALLY exciting! I do not mind fullframe vs. APS-C, but the possibility to use now Leica M lenses, Canon EF lenses, Sigma SA lenses and Sigma PL lenss on that body is great. I am sure there will be now a lot more people who will try out the Foveon sensor.

IMG_20180925_194604.jpg

Hi Dirk,
Aside from the potential image quality - what also appeals to me about a full frame mirrorless foveon sensor camera is the ability to fully utilise the breadth of my wide angle lenses particularly my 14mm and the ability to get a full circular image from my 7.5mm lens.
Cheers Peter

Hi Peter,

no doubt there are advantages for fullframe over APS-C. But it will cost us more than a Foveon sensor in a smaller sensor size. I am really curious, what the price will be. You may remember what the orginal launch price of the SD1 was at the beginning... :oops:

I would like to see a Foveon FF sensor, but would not be surprised at an APS sized one in the L Mount (as Leica do with TL and CL ranges).

For me, I am more interested in Sigma's lens line up for this mount. Having their Art lenses mount and have AF on the SL would be fantastic.

I would also like to see more compact F2 or f2.8 lenses made available in the L mount. The SL camera is not overly large nor heavy but the native lenses are.

but would not be surprised at an APS sized one in the L Mount

Mr. Yamaki said on the Sigma event clearly, that there will be a fulframe sensor in the Sigma L-Mount camera of 2019. Technically, it is for sure possible to make aso an APS.C sized sensor for t. But I doubt that there is enough demand for it comparedto fullframe.

One of the weaknesses of the old APS-C sized Foveon sensors was high ISO image quality. So I doubt that we will ever see a APS-C sized Foveon sensor again.

I am eagerly awaiting the Sigma body to compliment my Sony mirrorless bodies. I have many good manual SLR and rangefinder lenses that I will be using on it for landscape work. I do, however, wish there would be a recessed adapter to allow use of my wide Loxias and longer Voitlander APO Lanthars on it (the FE mount has a shorter flange distance). I think the radius of the L mount makes this possible. I have no need for electronic connection to the camera.

I would also like to add my voice to others asking for a series of small, very high quality, f2.0-4.0 lenses. I know the 1.4 and 1.2 lenses have more universal appeal, but I have no need for the weight and size of these lenses and refuse to buy them.

Greetings
I've been working with Sigma sense the 1980's I had a lot of work on exhibit at PMA and Photokina back in the day, even had work stolen at Photokina one year. I own all of their cameras, and I'm hoping for a SDQ-H I wouldn't mind a 1.2 or 1.3 crop factor in an updated Foveon with the L mount along with with fast AF, both Mechanical and Electronic shutters, tilt LCD, built in EVF like Leica and Panasonic, and I think we will. I think we'll see a lot as well. Here's some of my work.

Yeah, the Sigma Fovean sensor definitely has some "special sauce" to it. I had a DP1m for a while and absolutely loved the output from it. Not only was it great for colours, but the mono output from it was somehow much better than from CMOS/Bayer cameras. But I hated everything else - the terrible battery life, the slow AF, the really poor ISO performance, the lack of an EVF, the fixed rear screen, the slow operation, the terrible PC software that came with it... the list goes on. So, I eventually sold it. Life is too short to be dealing with all that. It was almost as bad as film ;)

I sense that it's still an uphill struggle for Sigma to get a Fovean camera to market that reaches the same level of polish and completeness that mainstream cameras provide. In fact, even the FP & FPL (which use classic CMOS.Bayer sensors) are clunky compared to anything from Panasonic, or even Leica. So, I suspect if we do see one, it'll be the same old clunky, awkward, compromised Sigma offering. That might be a price that some are prepared to pay for a Fovean sensor L-mount camera, but I doubt it would be a hot seller, so we'd be back to another failed niche Sigma camera.

So, whilst I'd love to see something like an S5 with a Fovean sensor, I am pretty convinced that it's highly unlikely to arrive.

Greetings
Sigma had some quicks maybe too many for most people. but the IQ and color are excellent better than anything out there and still is. As for battery life it got better over time. My SD14 through the FP is fine, I don't think about it. 200 shots with the SD14 up to 360 with the FP or more. I just carry a extra in my pocket like a roll of film.
As for the ISO I have no issues, but I'm use to shooting a lot of positive film. You have to know what your doing and how to expose your subject. Here's some high ISO ASA

As for Sigma Photo Pro it works excellent and it's free. There again you have to learn what it can do. I also use PhotoScape X it reads my Sigma files and it has a great print program, interphase and fast. It's also free.
The SDQ and SDQ-H have excellent built in viewfinders, but no flip out screen and a built in adapter which I do not like.
The FP should have had a mechanical shutter a built in VF and a PC sync, but they don't the next ones will. I hope they aren't like the Panasonic's at all, I want a Sigma CL with a FFF. How Sigma got the FP to look like the Foveon is beyond me.

Have good one
Roger J.

Back