L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Test/ First Impression Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN Contemporary

Pete_W

LMF-Patron
I received my new Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN last week. Like other lenses in the Sigma Contemporary range, it has an AF/MF switch, an aperture ring and is quite small and solidly built. It looks great on the S5II.

I managed to grab a few photos this afternoon. It was getting late and light was fading so I will post some more photos when I get the opportunity. But the lens is sharp and I like how it renders.

IMG_0290.jpg
  • Apple - iPhone 13 Pro
  • iPhone 13 Pro back dual wide camera 5.7mm f/1.5
  • 5.7 mm
  • ƒ/1.5
  • 1/121 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 80

Panasonic DC-S5M2, Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN Contemporary 019 ƒ/2.8 45mm 1/80s ISO100 [Photo taken 29 March 2024 6:24pm]
P1008447_DxO by Peter Watters, on Flickr

Panasonic DC-S5M2, Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN Contemporary 019 ƒ/7.1 45mm 1/80s ISO100 [Photo taken 29 March 2024 6:24pm]
P1008446_DxO by Peter Watters, on Flickr

You all live in such great places near the sea or mountains. Z04 Menno

Well done. The 45/2.8 was specifically designed to give a great bokeh.
Thanks, yes I count myself lucky to live where I do here south of Sydney close to the ocean.

The little Sigma 45 seems to be quite a versatile lens, great for bokeh as you've mentioned but also beautifully sharp across the frame when stopped down. And I really like the 45mm focal length.

I have that lens but don't use it much. Keep showing shots like that and it will get a lot more time on my camera.

Nice to have a smaller lens too and looks good on the S5ii, I'm kinda tempted by it as I liked 28mm on APSC and I have a Hoya Fusion Antistatic 55mm CPL unemployed from selling a Pentax lens.

You all live in such great places near the sea or mountains. Z04 Menno
1 hour drive to really nice Mourne mountains, 20 min to sea where it's nice enough for a picnic on a nice day...

But 2 1/2 - 3 hours and 100-150 miles to Donegal, North West Ireland which is landscape photography heaven and dark sky area as good as Bortle 2. I'm actually planning on moving there permanently as I hate travelling far for photography, I consider 20 miles far away.

Looks great Pete and I thought we might have got a train free post... Until the end :p

Far better with that than monster primes and now I want one.

Ha! :p

My local railway line only has electric trains and they all look like that so I rarely photograph them. I'd rather be out in the country-side with nice scenery, no overhead wires and the approaching sound of a diesel locomotive.

I didn't have much light left yesterday afternoon when I went out so didn't get many good shots, but I am quite liking the Sigma 45mm. I have the Lumix 50/1.8 but find the extra 5mm of width useful. And it's so small and light. I went out walking with just the S5M2, the Sigma 45mm and the Lumix 14-28mm in a small bag. Really easy to carry!

Back