L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Test/ First Impression Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN Contemporary

Pete_W

LMF-Patron
I received my new Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN last week. Like other lenses in the Sigma Contemporary range, it has an AF/MF switch, an aperture ring and is quite small and solidly built. It looks great on the S5II.

I managed to grab a few photos this afternoon. It was getting late and light was fading so I will post some more photos when I get the opportunity. But the lens is sharp and I like how it renders.

IMG_0290.jpg
  • Apple - iPhone 13 Pro
  • iPhone 13 Pro back dual wide camera 5.7mm f/1.5
  • 5.7 mm
  • ƒ/1.5
  • 1/121 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 80

Panasonic DC-S5M2, Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN Contemporary 019 ƒ/2.8 45mm 1/80s ISO100 [Photo taken 29 March 2024 6:24pm]
P1008447_DxO by Peter Watters, on Flickr

Panasonic DC-S5M2, Sigma 45mm F2.8 DG DN Contemporary 019 ƒ/7.1 45mm 1/80s ISO100 [Photo taken 29 March 2024 6:24pm]
P1008446_DxO by Peter Watters, on Flickr

You all live in such great places near the sea or mountains. Z04 Menno

Well done. The 45/2.8 was specifically designed to give a great bokeh.

Well done. The 45/2.8 was specifically designed to give a great bokeh.
Thanks, yes I count myself lucky to live where I do here south of Sydney close to the ocean.

The little Sigma 45 seems to be quite a versatile lens, great for bokeh as you've mentioned but also beautifully sharp across the frame when stopped down. And I really like the 45mm focal length.

I have that lens but don't use it much. Keep showing shots like that and it will get a lot more time on my camera.

Nice to have a smaller lens too and looks good on the S5ii, I'm kinda tempted by it as I liked 28mm on APSC and I have a Hoya Fusion Antistatic 55mm CPL unemployed from selling a Pentax lens.

1 hour drive to really nice Mourne mountains, 20 min to sea where it's nice enough for a picnic on a nice day...

But 2 1/2 - 3 hours and 100-150 miles to Donegal, North West Ireland which is landscape photography heaven and dark sky area as good as Bortle 2. I'm actually planning on moving there permanently as I hate travelling far for photography, I consider 20 miles far away.

Looks great Pete and I thought we might have got a train free post... Until the end :p

Far better with that than monster primes and now I want one.

Ha! :p

My local railway line only has electric trains and they all look like that so I rarely photograph them. I'd rather be out in the country-side with nice scenery, no overhead wires and the approaching sound of a diesel locomotive.

I didn't have much light left yesterday afternoon when I went out so didn't get many good shots, but I am quite liking the Sigma 45mm. I have the Lumix 50/1.8 but find the extra 5mm of width useful. And it's so small and light. I went out walking with just the S5M2, the Sigma 45mm and the Lumix 14-28mm in a small bag. Really easy to carry!

Although I have my Lumix set for half a year now, still every outing for me is still a learning process or to test my gear. And I only shot 45/2.8 a few times...but I definitely need to use it more (instead of looking at occasion prices for the 50/1.8 or if the 28-200 is already available...). Maybe I should use the stuff I have more, instead of trying to optimise it already

Maybe I should use the stuff I have more, instead of trying to optimise it already

Dito. Same problem here. Time is a big issue for me. Currently I only have time during vacation to photograph. But that is often not enough time to really learn the pro and cons of a lense by heart to be able to decide against it. So I rather collect atm than sell or exchange it.

Do not tell my wife...Z04 Wife

half December I ended up in the emergency room at he local hospital due health issues, and have been working hard to get on top of it, which succeeded, So I had a lot of time, but no energy. But last few weeks/ month I've been up and running again, and finally have time to use it more, and the bad weather of the last few months didn't help either. But now there is literally light at the end of the tunnel, and outside as well. But that also means I work 40hrs a week again last few weeks, so from not being able to, to not having time... but next week I have a week off :). But now I treasure not having time because I can work :)

I commiserate with you both as I am also time-poor, due to my work commitments and family situation. It's often 3-4 weeks between opportunities to use the camera. :(

We have a public holiday in Australia tomorrow and I've taken Friday off as leave, so a four-day weekend and hopefully this will give me some time outside with my camera!

Dito. Same problem here. Time is a big issue for me. Currently I only have time during vacation to photograph. But that is often not enough time to really learn the pro and cons of a lense by heart to be able to decide against it. So I rather collect atm than sell or exchange it.
That's one thing I've decided after spending so much time playing with adapted lenses... you can get pretty good pics out of a wide variety of lenses. There are some that are special and really make you happy, but you can do quite well without spending a huge amount of money on 'special'; it takes a really bad lens to be completely useless, and even mediocre lenses can take fairly decent pics (see this post for an example; I don't like the color cast on that Soligor, and the clarity/crispness leaves something to be desired, but it had at least a couple of pretty good pics in it).

Ha! :p

My local railway line only has electric trains and they all look like that so I rarely photograph them. I'd rather be out in the country-side with nice scenery, no overhead wires and the approaching sound of a diesel locomotive.
Trying not to derail the thread, but possibly of interest to train enthusiasts: https://www.cpkcr.com/en/community/final-spike-steam-train

I'm gonna try to be there and get some pics. ;)

I didn't have much light left yesterday afternoon when I went out so didn't get many good shots, but I am quite liking the Sigma 45mm. I have the Lumix 50/1.8 but find the extra 5mm of width useful. And it's so small and light. I went out walking with just the S5M2, the Sigma 45mm and the Lumix 14-28mm in a small bag. Really easy to carry!

Yeah, I love shooting light. One reason I love the Sigma fp. :)

I got the 45 bundled with the fp, but I haven't shot with it much; I should probably try it more.

Trying not to derail the thread, but possibly of interest to train enthusiasts: https://www.cpkcr.com/en/community/final-spike-steam-train

I'm gonna try to be there and get some pics. ;)
That looks great! If you do go, I'd love to see your photos.

Yeah, I love shooting light. One reason I love the Sigma fp. :)

I got the 45 bundled with the fp, but I haven't shot with it much; I should probably try it more.

I've also got the 35mm f/2 which I also love. Both great compact lenses.

Back