L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Rumors Sigma 17mm F4 DG DN, 50mm F2 DG DN, 23mm F1.4 DC DN Contemporary

Quentinquirelino

Hello everyone, maybe this is not the most exciting thing. But there is a first picture of the upcoming 23mm F1.4 DC DN Contemporary from Sigma. For me the 17mm would be the more interesting one.

Sigma 23mm F1.4 DC DN | Contemporary (L-mount image)
Lens construction: 13 elements in 10 groups
Minimum focusing distance: 25cm
Maximum magnification: 1:7.3
Filter diameter: 52mm
Size: φ65.8 x 76.9mm
Weight: 340g
Mount: L mount, Sony E mount, Fujifilm X mount

I hope it's okay to share the link of the rumor.

Thank you for this information!

This is good to know, although the 23 and 17 are only for APS-C and Leica terminated its APS-C L-Mount line. But maybe they will change that again or Sigma might come out with an APS-C Foveon L-Mount camera? Who knows...

I use also Fuji X and I am sure, Sigma will offer this also for Fuji X-Mount. I would be very interested to see reviews, comparing this new Sigma 23/1.4 DC DN vs. the new Fuji XF 23/1.4 WR

The 50/2.0 DG DN would be exactly what I am looking for. Maybe @Richard Wong gets a review item and compares it with the Lumix 50/1.8 and Sigma 45/2.8 DG DN?

Given that the Leica CL is discontinued this seems a strange decision for Sigma to be producing L-Mount APSC lenses (esp since they've said they're pulling out of MFT lenses). Unless of course Sigma has something up its sleeve and is planning a new APS-C L mount camera? Perhaps even a Fovean?

I think this is a cost-decision. Economies of scales. Sigma like every other producer wants to maximise their sales.

For Fuji and for Sony they need APS-C lenses. The percentage of Leica APS-C bodies will be so tiny, that this probably played never a role in the decision making process of Sigma.

The Sigma MFT lenses have been always APS-C lenses with the different lens mount. Economies of scale also here. And I do not know how many MFT lenses they sold over the last 10 years. Probably not many, if you look how many MFT alternatives are out there, which are smaller then these reconfigured APS-C lenses.

I would love to see a Foveon sensor. It seems to be very difficult to produce one in fullframe. I would not care whether it is FF or APS-C, but I would be surprised if Sigma would offer an APS-C Foveon, since this would not play nice with Panasonic MFT. It could hurt the sales of MFT.

For Panasonic the step MFT to FF is an ideal choice. Similar to Fuji with APS-C and MF. My gues is that they want to protect the MFT part. But everything is possible nowadays.

This is good to know, although the 23 and 17 are only for APS-C and Leica terminated its APS-C L-Mount line.

The 17mm is a DG DN, so it will full frame lens. Only the 23mm is a DC DN and will only be a Aps-C lens and will also be available for Fuji X an Sony E Mount. The 50mm and 17mm will be available for L- and E-Mount.

I think Sigma will release every new Lens for L-Mount, just because there are members of the L-Mount Alliance and there for it's there native mount. For video shooters how want to film in 4k 60fps, the APS-C lenses could also be nice to have.

Really love my Sigma 45mm f2.8 for its tiny size and slightly wider perspective. It will be interesting to see how the new 50mm f2 compares in size and performance.

Given that the Leica CL is discontinued this seems a strange decision for Sigma to be producing L-Mount APSC lenses (esp since they've said they're pulling out of MFT lenses). Unless of course Sigma has something up its sleeve and is planning a new APS-C L mount camera? Perhaps even a Fovean?
Hello Again pdk42
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Sigma 1.2 or 1.3 crop Foveon in an L mount body. There are a lot of CL's still in use and you can use the DC lenses on the FP FP-L.
Have a good day
Roger J.

There are now some prices in the speculation:
  • sigma 23mm f/1.4 ~ 500$
  • sigma 50mm f/2 : ~ 650$
  • sigma 17mm f4 : ~ 600$
The 50mm would be significantly more expensive than the Panasonic 50mm f1.8. Maybe to justify with looks and feels of the sigma I Serie.

The 17mm seams more expensive than I was hoping for.

Just saw some videos, that Sigma 17mm f4 looks like a real beauty. So tiny and better center and edge performance than the Panasonic 18mm f1.8. And it has a reasonably sized lens hood, not one of those ginormous ones.

Definitely interested in it!

These look really nice. If I were a prime sort of guy, I’d be all over them (but the 35/2 does tempt me anyhow even though I’m primarily a zoom guy).

These look really nice. If I were a prime sort of guy, I’d be all over them (but the 35/2 does tempt me anyhow even though I’m primarily a zoom guy).
Exactly, that's the point. I am looking for something like this: small (to carry around with you in case a situation for wide open photography comes), more open than 20mm (because I use the 20-60mm all the time) and with great image quality. I am hesitating between the 17mm f/4 sigma and the 18 mm f/1.8 Lumix...

Exactly, that's the point. I am looking for something like this: small (to carry around with you in case a situation for wide open photography comes), more open than 20mm (because I use the 20-60mm all the time) and with great image quality. I am hesitating between the 17mm f/4 sigma and the 18 mm f/1.8 Lumix...
I’d guess the Sigma will be better optically - and it sure looks nicer! But I suspect the LUMIX is better for video.

Here is an interesting review of the Sigma 17mm f/4 DG DN by Damian Brown:
I will probably get this 17mm Contemporary when it is available. I have the 20mm and really like it, and for me wider angle is better. I like these nice small well built lenses.

The 17mm Contemporary is shipping, I just ordered it.
I got the 17mm today and had a chance to use it just a little. First it is much smaller than I expected. The S5II with this lens is a really small package. Other than that it looks like the rest of its family. The barrel distortion is low enough I turned off Profile Corrections in Light Room for quite a few shots, to get a little wider range. It can focus crazy close; I'm not sure what to do with that yet.

For video, with APS-C it is 25mm equivalent, so it could be a good choice for shooting 60fps. Also, with open gate and editing on a 4K timeline you can zoom 1.55X in post for 26mm equivalent, and pan and tilt from there. (Or you can do this in-camera with Live Cropping.) It is a very versatile focal length for S5II video.

You can't de-click the aperture, and normally lenses for video have this feature. However I almost always shoot HDR where you seldom vary aperture in a shot, so this is okay for me.

Back