L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Sensor Cleaning

JCW_Snaps

My S1R has gained quite a few stubborn “dust spots” on the sensor that resist the best efforts of a rocket blower and Artic Butterfly (well a generic unbranded equivalent anyway). I’ve wet cleaned my previous Z7 and with that the procedure was to switch the camera off as the sensor was then in the locked position. With the S1R the sensor is free floating when switched off so my long winded question is should the camera be on or off for cleaning or is there a dedicated setting (not the auto cleaning function).
Apologies for the long winded badly phrased question and thanks in advance for any assistance :)

I wet cleaned my S1R last week. Like all my cameras with IBIS, I did it with the power off and the cameras on its back. The sensor doesn’t move as the swab is moved.
Brilliant. Just what I needed to hear. I know sensor cleaning isn’t a big deal but every time I do it my stress levels rise especially first time for a given camera
Thanks. James :)

I cleaned it last night, no problems but the unlike the Z7 the sensor moved around as it did with my previous S5. I must say though until I took a test shot against a white wall at f22 I hadn’t realised just how bad it was

Switch camera ON, sensor is solid because is stabilized , then set electronic shutter ON (to avoid mechanical shutter curtain) and clean the sensor , that’s what I do with Olympus and Panasonic stabilized bodies

Switch camera ON, sensor is solid because is stabilized , then set electronic shutter ON (to avoid mechanical shutter curtain) and clean the sensor , that’s what I do with Olympus and Panasonic stabilized bodies
Thanks, I’ll probably try that next time. I’ve seen both methods suggested so I’m guessing it’s down to personal preference :)

Video from Leica (Australia) on cleaning camera sensors: if the camera has IBIS, clean the sensor with the power on.

Since the SL2 is based on the S1R it's probably reasonable to assume this is safe for Panasonic cameras.

I've always wet cleaned the sensor of my S5 after running the sensor cleaning function. When that completes and you get the "Turn the camera off" message the sensor is being held in place by the stabilisation.

Last edited:
Video from Leica (Australia) on cleaning camera sensors: if the camera has IBIS, clean the sensor with the power on.

Since the SL2 is based on the S1R it's probably reasonable to assume this is safe for Panasonic cameras.

I've always wet cleaned the sensor of my S5 after running the sensor cleaning function. When that completes and you get the "Turn the camera off" message the sensor is being held in place by the stabilisation.

Thanks, it looks like that’s the way to go next time :)

I'm too scared to wet clean my sensor but I know that one day I'm going to have to bite the bullet.

Back