L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

News Samyang 35-150 f2-f2.8

I love that photo of the Holden Kingswood. Including the classic Aussie street scene.

My dad had a work-provided car of the same year model but it was a Premier. Brings back the memories!

Call me crazy but I think these cheap Lumix S primes have some nice pop to them. It's nice to have a distinct look to images without paying Leica prices :)
I'm 95%+ sure, that Leica rebadge the Lumix 50 as their own, and sell it including the appropriate mark-up :)
No one has come out and stated that as fact, but there's a couple of comparisons between the two floating around, and the only real difference seems to be perhaps the quality control between them. And the font/engraving as well.
If you get a good one, it's spectacular. In my experience anyway.
And yeah, I think it does have a bit of a distinctive look about the images it produces. I seem to really like the colour and rendering of lenses that produce a bit of chromatic aberration. I first noticed it with my m4/3 Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4, and my Sigma 30mm f1.4. There's just a certain warmth, or something about them, hard to describe or nail down, as well as a three dimensional look at times. I'll try and dig up a couple of examples to show what I'm on about:)

And yeah, I think it does have a bit of a distinctive look about the images it produces. I seem to really like the colour and rendering of lenses that produce a bit of chromatic aberration. I first noticed it with my m4/3 Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4, and my Sigma 30mm f1.4. There's just a certain warmth, or something about them, hard to describe or nail down, as well as a three dimensional look at times. I'll try and dig up a couple of examples to show what I'm on about:)
Yup. I think I first saw it in the PanLeica 15/1.7 for M4/3:

41245390454_c5e72126b3_h.jpg
20180424-P4242399.jpg by Travis Butler, on Flickr

In addition to a warmer cast, I think it gets into microcontrast and my obsession with tonal rendering. The lenses that have it can render very very fine distinctions in tonal gradation - so when you see light falling on a rounded surface, for example, the shading conveys a sense of volume to the object.

Yup. I think I first saw it in the PanLeica 15/1.7 for M4/3:
Yeah, that's another lens that can produce that effect.
Here's a couple of examples out of my m4/3 lenses

201212Ford pickups.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-G9
  • 30.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.4
  • 1/2500 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100
18090842739602730s.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-G9
  • 15.0 mm
  • ƒ/2
  • 1/5000 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200
230312P1011987s.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-G100
  • 30.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.6
  • 1/4000 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

You don't see it all the time, but it does present itself in the right conditions. The lens doesn't even have to be crazy sharp. My cheap little EF 40mm f2.8 pancake seems really good at it for some reason

53677470346_07e2f712ef_h.jpg231231-P1000763 by Markus Welder, on Flickr

53677692083_abc98514f8_h.jpg231231j-P1000771 by Markus Welder, on Flickr

I love that photo of the Holden Kingswood. Including the classic Aussie street scene.

My dad had a work-provided car of the same year model but it was a Premier. Brings back the memories!
He he he. At the risk of raising some ire, Dad bought a Holden HR 186S Special very early on. Not new, but it mustn't have been that old, given my age.
It's the first time I remember, hitting the old imperial ton. Coming back from some place one afternoon, Dad say's "let's see what she'll do" I think I saw about 110 mile per hour at one point :) Still remember it. The good old days :)

C
He he he. At the risk of raising some ire, Dad bought a Holden HR 186S Special very early on. Not new, but it mustn't have been that old, given my age.
It's the first time I remember, hitting the old imperial ton. Coming back from some place one afternoon, Dad say's "let's see what she'll do" I think I saw about 110 mile per hour at one point :) Still remember it. The good old days :)
Crikey, that must have felt amazing and slightly frightening. Brakes weren’t nearly as good back then!!

Back