L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

S5ii(X) deadcat

Nevyn72

LMF-Patron Gold
Just received my deadcat this week, haven't tried it in real yet but looks cool, and I presume it will be useful. Fits also together with the cage

Attachments

• 20240606_110019 1.jpg
    EXIF
    20240606_110019 1.jpg
    855.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240606_110641.jpg
    EXIF
    IMG_20240606_110641.jpg
    780.3 KB · Views: 10
I have it in use for months now and like it very much. Will be useful for you as well Daumenhoch Smilie

I've searched online for this, but haven't found it. Can you provide a link or vendor name? Thanks!

Thanks for the link! I now see it's a SmallRig product. Unfortunately it's not compatible with devices which require a HOT shoe, such as the DMW-XLR1 mic/audio adapter (I recently purchased a used DMW-XLR1 from KEH.com). Of course, the deadcat/windscreen can be removed as needed, but inconvenient.

I wonder if there exists a deadcat for the S5ii & S5iiX that clips onto the EVF itself, so it doesn't occupy the camera's hot shoe?

Just received my deadcat this week, haven't tried it in real yet but looks cool, and I presume it will be useful. Fits also together with the cage
I have one, meant to try it 2 days ago up the mountains but nothing to video, too cold and wind too fierce I had to force myself just to do photos.

It is well made, will try it soon.

Unfortunately it's not compatible with devices which require a HOT shoe
That's a problem which does not exist, if you are using a hotshoe mic or XLR adapter you wouldn't have this attached for the internal mics. Z04 Auslachen

Thanks for the link! I now see it's a SmallRig product. Unfortunately it's not compatible with devices which require a HOT shoe, such as the DMW-XLR1 mic/audio adapter (I recently purchased a used DMW-XLR1 from KEH.com). Of course, the deadcat/windscreen can be removed as needed, but inconvenient.

I wonder if there exists a deadcat for the S5ii & S5iiX that clips onto the EVF itself, so it doesn't occupy the camera's hot shoe?
Never heard about it, but for me it would also not work, I bought a bigger Eyecup for the EVF...

But this deadcat is very easy to remove, so for me those would not be a problem.

I did want to buy the DMW-XLR1, but I'm happy I didn't. Assuming the DMW-XLR2 with 32bit float would also work on the S5iiX after a software update, I than want that one.:cool:

Assuming the DMW-XLR2 with 32bit float would also work on the S5iiX after a software update, I than want that one.:cool:
£499 this stuff ain't cheap but it has a cold shoe for your Smallrig furry mouse :p

Shurely (pun intended) you'd need very expensive microphones to justify this, 96kHz is already a controversial sampling rate in hi-fi circles. Unless you're recording Jazz at the Pawnshop and that was setup by a pro audio engineer, just out of interest are such people using a camera for the audio capture? Obviously the XLR adapter contains the Analogue Digital Convertors which are probably nowhere near the quality of pro audio stuff used in studios etc.

Slapping a £100 Rode mic and recording 96kHz 32bit is a joke and I'm guessing most amateur camera videographers won't understand this. The 96kHz has no impact upon the dynamic range (float) the new model has, it's just the sampling rate.

£499 this stuff ain't cheap but it has a cold shoe for your Smallrig furry mouse :p

Shurely (pun intended) you'd need very expensive microphones to justify this, 96kHz is already a controversial sampling rate in hi-fi circles. Unless you're recording Jazz at the Pawnshop and that was setup by a pro audio engineer, just out of interest are such people using a camera for the audio capture? Obviously the XLR adapter contains the Analogue Digital Convertors which are probably nowhere near the quality of pro audio stuff used in studios etc.

Slapping a £100 Rode mic and recording 96kHz 32bit is a joke and I'm guessing most amateur camera videographers won't understand this. The 96kHz has no impact upon the dynamic range (float) the new model has, it's just the sampling rate.
The 32-bit does make a huge difference, never blown out Audio anymore... Thats a very big plus.

Check the Gerald Undone video for example (yeah things change quickly, Lumix and Gerard are buddies again).

Also I do record sometimes from Digital Mixers sometimes (Mostly the X32, I'm also a semi-pro soundengineer as second hobby), yes I know record separately to USB and sync later (what I sometimes do), or use a 3.5mm jack what I also sometimes do... But I've been in situations where these where not available.

Attachments

• IMG_20240606_215529.jpg
    EXIF
    IMG_20240606_215529.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
The 32-bit does make a huge difference, never blown out Audio anymore... Thats a very big plus
I didn't question that, I specifically said the 96kHz sampling rate. The 32 bit enables a bigger dynamic range float so gives more latitude when you don't set the recording level properly, but if you know what you are doing wouldn't you have it dialled into the XLR adapter properly?

I thought you might have recorded separately but what are the mics you are using? Studio microphones are big money, £5000+ etc.

I didn't question that, I specifically said the 96kHz sampling rate. The 32 bit enables a bigger dynamic range float so gives more latitude when you don't set the recording level properly, but if you know what you are doing wouldn't you have it dialled into the XLR adapter properly?

I thought you might have recorded separately but what are the mics you are using? Studio microphones are big money, £5000+ etc.
96KHz is definitely an overkill, and yeah I have always set the recording kevel properly... True true Z04 Flucht

For mics, we use Sennheiser and Sure...
As I said I'm NOT a professional, it's something what I do in our local church.

96KHz is definitely an overkill, and yeah I have always set the recording kevel properly... True true
The internal ADC in the S5ii and others is 48kHz 24bit which is impressive and more than enough for 99%. How many YouTubers are actually using balanced XLR mics to require such an adapter? YouTube compresses audio into the opus 251 codec anyway.

BTW capturing a church choir sounds like an interesting project. How do you sync the timelines of both audio and video on different devices so playback is exact? I suppose capturing both in camera solves this.

What's up with this ProRes not being compatible with Da Vinci? That sounds like more of an issue than 24 bit audio not being wide enough for recording. ProRes means you need a Mac and Final Cut Pro which is £299 alone, all this stuff certainly adds up.

I do wish the Lumix could transfer MOV files wirelessly, no idea why this restriction exists if they actually used the wifi 5 ac hardware in S5ii, the Sync app uses wifi 4 hence why it is slow.

BTW I don't watch Gerald undone as whoever he is sounds like something I won't miss.

What's up with this ProRes not being compatible with Da Vinci? That sounds like more of an issue than 24 bit audio not being wide enough for recording. ProRes means you need a Mac and Final Cut Pro which is £299 alone, all this stuff certainly adds up.
I had mentioned that. The issue with DaVinci Resolve is with ProRes RAW, not with ProRes. BUT, I just checked, the latest versions of Davinci Resolve do run ProRes RAW. This is progress, and I'll go off and try it tonight.

Check the Gerald Undone video for example (yeah things change quickly, Lumix and Gerard are buddies again).
I watched that, and thought to myself that he must have already had the GH7 in his hands when he produced that rant video about the S9? Curious.

I watched that, and thought to myself that he must have already had the GH7 in his hands when he produced that rant video about the S9? Curious.
I avoided that undone stuff. This is specifically for Pete who has been watching and seemingly interested in the war here in the recent past.

Bill Kirk was used to appear with a camera at the odd cycling race, unfortunately I wasn't into photography then, looking back he was probably photographing his grandson who was a good rider and his son also raced. I had no idea that he was really good himself even though he was racing as a veteran 60+ again when I was racing.

Moreso I didn't know he was a great photographer until around 10 years ago his son was doing a plastering job for me and when we got talking I remember him distinctly saying "my da would love you" as I must have told him what I was now into instead of racing. What he meant was his da is a photography geek.

Bill is what I call a real photographer, a photography graduate from a working class background. He has authored and co-authored several books usually surrounding "the troubles" (war).

There are several photo galleries in Belfast where you can buy his and others prints but you can see them in the books. These guys took real risks doing this street photography, photographing the police or British army was dangerous as were any of the paramilitary areas just carrying a camera, basically any photography was as the paranoia was there.

I'll have to get down to the cycling week in Bill's area in August, I won 2 races there in the 1990s including beating the Irish MTB champion (who was an Olympian that year) in the hill climb. I've lost touch with that cycling fraternity and would be good to make some contact again using cycling photography, which reminds me that the photos from those races in the 1990s are gone... Archiving and prints are so important. Hopefully someone down there still knows about them!

BTW note how nor me or Bill use the "shoot" or "shot" terminology for photography, to us it is horrid culturally and has a violent meaning given the context. I absolutely hate the term being used in photography and will never conform to it, it is USA terminology that I understand but not for me.

BTW capturing a church choir sounds like an interesting project. How do you sync the timelines of both audio and video on different devices so playback is exact? I suppose capturing both in camera solves this.
My wife and I are from a more modern church.
Drum, Bass, Electric and Acoustic Guitars, Piano etc...

This is from last Christmas... Its in 4 parts... Every part starts with a video made by me, before a green screen and the second half is a song:

Sorry, the video's are only in dutch, the songs are in dutch or in english.

I was also behind the mixer, on the ladies singing (the one on the right) is my wife.

For an oncoming project we have a bigger band with: Drum, Bass, Electric and Acoustic Guitars, Piano, Violin and 4 singers.
I will also do the mixing for that.

I avoided that undone stuff. This is specifically for Pete who has been watching and seemingly interested in the war here in the recent past.

Bill Kirk was used to appear with a camera at the odd cycling race, unfortunately I wasn't into photography then, looking back he was probably photographing his grandson who was a good rider and his son also raced. I had no idea that he was really good himself even though he was racing as a veteran 60+ again when I was racing.

Moreso I didn't know he was a great photographer until around 10 years ago his son was doing a plastering job for me and when we got talking I remember him distinctly saying "my da would love you" as I must have told him what I was now into instead of racing. What he meant was his da is a photography geek.

Bill is what I call a real photographer, a photography graduate from a working class background. He has authored and co-authored several books usually surrounding "the troubles" (war).

There are several photo galleries in Belfast where you can buy his and others prints but you can see them in the books. These guys took real risks doing this street photography, photographing the police or British army was dangerous as were any of the paramilitary areas just carrying a camera, basically any photography was as the paranoia was there.

I'll have to get down to the cycling week in Bill's area in August, I won 2 races there in the 1990s including beating the Irish MTB champion (who was an Olympian that year) in the hill climb. I've lost touch with that cycling fraternity and would be good to make some contact again using cycling photography, which reminds me that the photos from those races in the 1990s are gone... Archiving and prints are so important. Hopefully someone down there still knows about them!

BTW note how nor me or Bill use the "shoot" or "shot" terminology for photography, to us it is horrid culturally and has a violent meaning given the context. I absolutely hate the term being used in photography and will never conform to it, it is USA terminology that I understand but not for me.

Thanks for the video link Oíche and the background. I will take a look at this!

Back