L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

News S5II V2.0 Software Update Expected June 13, 2023

wh1tby

From Amateur Photographer, just in case it is not posted elsewhere on the site:

"Panasonic has also revealed a major firmware update for the S5II, with version 2.0 due to be released on June 13, 2023. The camera will gain the firm’s Live View Composite mode, which enables users to capture long exposure stills in the daytime, without the need for ND filters. It’ll also enable both Blackmagic and ProRes raw data output over HDMI."

It’ll also enable both Blackmagic and ProRes raw data output over HDMI."
Blackmagic BRAW for the S5II is an exciting announcement. I have used BRAW with the S5 and really liked it. My hope was they would have BRAW for the S5IIx, but I did not have any expectation for this on the S5II. This update does require the addition of the Software Upgrade Key DWW-SFU2 to the S5II for $200.

I prefer BRAW to ProRes RAW. It edits directly in DaVinci Resolve, where ProRes RAW must be converted to something like ProRes 4444 to run in Resolve, and you don't have the ability to adjust white balance, etc. Also I much prefer the Blackmagic Video Assist to Atomos recorders. So this is win win for me. That said, I don't use RAW that often, and would prefer Panasonic had just added All-I codecs to the S5II, but you will need the S5IIx for that.

Blackmagic BRAW. ProRes RAW. You lost me. "enables users to capture long exposure stills in the daytime, without the need for ND filters". This I understand. How it is done is another question :rolleyes:

Blackmagic BRAW. ProRes RAW. You lost me. "enables users to capture long exposure stills in the daytime, without the need for ND filters". This I understand. How it is done is another question
This is two different topics. "Live view composite" is a creative photography mode we had on the S5, but it didn't carry over to the S5II. But now we will have it on the S5II with firmware 2.0 release on June 13. This will be fun to play around with when we get it, and we will probably see people posting interesting shots like night scenes with streaking headlights.

Blackmagic RAW (BRAW) and ProRes RAW are two video formats; pretty advanced formats that people who shoot video with Lumix cameras get excited about. These formats can only be iused with an external monitor/recorder Again, the S5 had these formats, but when the S5II was introduced there was only the promise that video RAW recording was coming in an update. And Panasonic was coy about which video RAW format; ProRes RAW or BRAW (or both, like the S5). In my post above I'm excited because firmware 2.0 includes BRAW, which I prefer.

Thank you for explaining these. I am more interested in still photography so I wonder if Live view composite could be installed with S5ii firmware update 2.0 without the need to buy the "Software Upgrade Key DWW-SFU2". Panasonic is not very clear in the info.

Thank you for explaining these. I am more interested in still photography so I wonder if Live view composite could be installed with S5ii firmware update 2.0 without the need to buy the "Software Upgrade Key DWW-SFU2". Panasonic is not very clear in the info.
As I understand, only the raw recording features will need the unlock key. Anything else will be free for every S5II.

Those who haven't used BRAW won't readily understand how lovely the footage is and how clean the workflow when using Resolve. Of course you'll need the external monitor/recorder/encoder unit, which also adds a chunk of change. More useful for cinematographers than videographers, if I can make that distinction.

Those who haven't used BRAW won't readily understand how lovely the footage is and how clean the workflow when using Resolve. Of course you'll need the external monitor/recorder/encoder unit, which also adds a chunk of change. More useful for cinematographers than videographers, if I can make that distinction.
What is your preferred method of compression in BRAW? Do you notice the highly compressed options still having more fidelity than similar compressed videos at the same sizes?

I haven't done extended testing. For the short films I shot, I used quite high compression, which was invisible to me in the finished product. I am not one to push the envelope! Besides, I got the correct exposure in-camera and so didn't need enormous latitude in post-processing. The Blackmagic forums have had extensive discussions of these matters.

What is your preferred method of compression in BRAW? Do you notice the highly compressed options still having more fidelity than similar compressed videos at the same sizes?
I'm no expert on this, but with the S5 I tended to shoot Q5, sometimes Q3. I did try some Q0 but couldn't see any difference in detail from Q3.

S5II firmware update 2.00 is about a week away, due June 13. The S5II compatible firmware updates for the RAW recorders are now available:
For BRAW with Blackmagic Video Assist, 3.10 Update.
For ProRes RAW with Atomos Ninja V, Atomos OS 10.92.00.

I am somewhat concerned, while the S5II Firmware Update 2.0 will be available on June 13 we also need to buy the S5II Software Upgrade Key DWW-SFU2 for RAW output. It iis not clear how and when this will be available. I spent quite a while on Panasonic USA chat with this question today, and basically they don't know. Back in older days when the S1 had a Software Upgrade Key this was a physical card with the key code that you hand entered into the camera, and this card had to be mailed from your dealer which took a few days. So worst case, while we will get the firmware on the 13th, but we may not be able to use the video features for a few days until we get the upgrade key. I hope this isn't so and we can get the upgrade key right away.

My Blackmagic Video Assist is updated and ready to go. We'll see.

You must be so excited! The BRAW will open up a new world of grading for experts like yourself.

When I used the BMPCC4K I stuck with Q5. Could see no difference at all between the compression settings.

we also need to buy the S5II Software Upgrade Key DWW-SFU2 for RAW output
The press release for S5II RAW said the Software Update Key DWW-SFU2 is needed, but I found a Panasonic S5II web page that says DMW-SFU2. This is the same as the old S1 Update Key, so I've ordered this. I'm assuming the press release had a typo. If this is the wrong Update Key I can always send it back.

The press release for S5II RAW said the Software Update Key DWW-SFU2 is needed, but I found a Panasonic S5II web page that says DMW-SFU2. This is the same as the old S1 Update Key, so I've ordered this. I'm assuming the press release had a typo. If this is the wrong Update Key I can always send it back.

Hey Charles, I'm pretty sure it is DMW-SFU2, I double checked the info i got from Panasonic.

Panasonic S5II all dressed up and waiting for Software Update 2.0

S5II-1.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-GH6
  • LUMIX G VARIO 35-100/F2.8II
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/200 sec
  • Pattern
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 800

From top to bottom

Blackmagic Video Assist monitor/recorder

HDMI cable to S5II

USB C cable to Samsung SSD

SmallRig monitor mount

SmallRig Top Handle for Top Audio Adapter

Sennheiser remote microphone transmitter

Rode microphone

Panasonic DMW-XLR1 microphone adapter

SmallRig SSD holder

Samsung 2TB ssd

SmallRig cage for Panasonic S5II

Panasonic S5II

Sachtler video head and tripod

Well that was fast. I've said I wanted to eventually get the S5IIx. But the big U.S. camera stores still show it as "coming soon". I checked Amazon a couple of days ago and they had it, so I checked yes and got it this afternoon. Now I'll be checking BRAW and SSD a couple of days sooner.

Firmware Upgrade 2.0 for the 5DII was available today June 12 in the U.S. I expect it is June 13 somewhere in the world. I got both the 5DII and the 5DIIx going with Blackmagic RAW in DaVinci Resolve. Note there is also a firmware update today 1.1 for the S5IIx.

Most important, if you plan tto do this, upgrade DaVinci Resolve Studio to 18.5 Beta. Otherwise it won't load the s5II/S5IIx BRAW from the Blackmagic Video Assist.

I just installed 2.0 to my S5II. Quite small update, if you don't buy the activation key.

If I remember correctly, in S5 you had to manually reboot the camera. S5II reboots automatically after firmware upgrade.

Back