L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Panasonic L mount Announcement Rumoured for 10th of August

Lsake

Rumours are circulating that Panasonic are to announce something L mount related tomorrow. Will it be an S5R?, S1HII? Or something else?

Photo Rumours say that Panasonic China have scheduled a press conference for 1pm Shanghai time on the 10th.

I think it will be the S1II or a 24/28-200 Lens. Probably the lens. So little time before a camera release, we would probably get some more leaks. But we know nothing. It could also some special release for China, for a product not available there yet.

There is a new roadmap with 2 new lenses, something between 28-70 and 100-400.

I think it will be the Sigma 2.8/28-70 to get a better kit then the 20-60 for a higher end model.
But if the 100-400 is the next version of the sigma after the Leica version, that will be a little bit frustrating…

If these are just rebranded Sigma lenses then that would be extremely underwhelming. However there is potential for something cool here. A 28-70 pancake zoom could be a kit lens for a new smaller body style (rf?) that many are asking for. It could also be an f2 zoom halo product. Either could be very interesting.

The 100-400 would likely have weather sealing and work great with Panasonic's Dual IS, things the Sigma can't do very well. They could also make this one a half macro lens like some of their other zooms, which would be much closer focusing than the Sigma, or even any other 100-400 competition. Sharpness could likely be improved as well, as reports I've seen indicate that the Sigma is just ok in this regard when extended.

I think there is potential here for cool additions to the lineup either way. Many of the Lumix S lenses seem to be basic offerings at first but them turn out to offer very unique features (1:2 macro, weather sealing, video optimization, etc) that similar lenses for other systems don't have, which I think is a real value add.

If these are just rebranded Sigma lenses then that would be extremely underwhelming. However there is potential for something cool here. A 28-70 pancake zoom could be a kit lens for a new smaller body style (rf?) that many are asking for. It could also be an f2 zoom halo product. Either could be very interesting.

The 100-400 would likely have weather sealing and work great with Panasonic's Dual IS, things the Sigma can't do very well. They could also make this one a half macro lens like some of their other zooms, which would be much closer focusing than the Sigma, or even any other 100-400 competition. Sharpness could likely be improved as well, as reports I've seen indicate that the Sigma is just ok in this regard when extended.
Additionally, it could have a dual-motor architecture, to give high-speed AF like Panny's 70-200s, as well as Sigma's 60-600. Current 100-400 does not have that.

I think there is potential here for cool additions to the lineup either way. Many of the Lumix S lenses seem to be basic offerings at first but them turn out to offer very unique features (1:2 macro, weather sealing, video optimization, etc) that similar lenses for other systems don't have, which I think is a real value add.

I would like to see your ideas become reality, but I have no hope.
The lenses are not inside the S-Line section, therefore nothing first class. This looks like rebranded optics to save big research costs…

Does anyone have a link to what was announced? I only see the pre-existing lens roadmap that shows the two items added in January (100mm macro and 28-200ish super-zoom).

If there is a 28-70mm then I see two options - an f/2 like the Canon, though I don't think Panasonic are adventurous enough for that, or a kit lens to provide a cheaper, and likely poorer quality, option instead of the 20-60mm. Having said that, there's already a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 macro so another isn't really needed and yet Panasonic are going to release one, so maybe they're bringing out their own cheaper alternative to the 24-70/2.8 just like Sigma's 28-70/2.8. Such a lens would likely be more expensive than the Sigma 24-70/2.8 though so it would be of very limited interest to anyone.

Edit: Peta-Pixel say the standard zoom is "large aperture" so that excludes the cheaper kit lens option.

There is a new roadmap with 2 new lenses, something between 28-70 and 100-400.

I think it will be the Sigma 2.8/28-70 to get a better kit then the 20-60 for a higher end model.
But if the 100-400 is the next version of the sigma after the Leica version, that will be a little bit frustrating…
I don't think it will be a rebranded Sigma 28-70/2.8. I even don't think a rebranded Sigma 28-70 would be a more high-end kit than the 20-60. As I have both, I would definitely not say, the Sigma is better than the Lumix. There are equal with different strengths and weaknesses. The kit for more high-end models would be the 24-105/4 or the 24-70/2.8.

That said, I think it will be a pancake zoom, a 28-70/3.5-5.6, as kti for a smaller range finder body that will come along with the lens. Or maybe a 28-70/2 like somebody else said.

The red line for the Telezoom looks definitely more like a 100-500.

However. The roadmap was never 100% exactly about focal length. It could also be a updated 24-70/2.8 and a 100-400 or a 100-600. Also we didn't get every lens on the roadmap. A while ago, there was a bright aperture ultra wide zoom, a 16-35/2.8 or something similar, on the roadmap. It disappeared and we got the 14-28 instead.

Does anyone have a link to what was announced? I only see the pre-existing lens roadmap that shows the two items added in January (100mm macro and 28-200ish super-zoom).

On the roadmap, there is no further description, like "large aperture" for the standard zoom. That doesn't mean that say saied something more detailed at the presentation or Petra Pixel has got more detailed information.

I don't think it will be a rebranded Sigma 28-70/2.8. I even don't think a rebranded Sigma 28-70 would be a more high-end kit than the 20-60. As I have both, I would definitely not say, the Sigma is better than the Lumix. There are equal with different strengths and weaknesses. The kit for more high-end models would be the 24-105/4 or the 24-70/2.8.

That said, I think it will be a pancake zoom, a 28-70/3.5-5.6, as kti for a smaller range finder body that will come along with the lens. Or maybe a 28-70/2 like somebody else said.

The red line for the Telezoom looks definitely more like a 100-500.

However. The roadmap was never 100% exactly about focal length. It could also be a updated 24-70/2.8 and a 100-400 or a 100-600. Also we didn't get every lens on the roadmap. A while ago, there was a bright aperture ultra wide zoom, a 16-35/2.8 or something similar, on the roadmap. It disappeared and we got the 14-28 instead.
I like the idea of an pancake 28-70 for a rangefinder style body. I had the GX7 in my MFT equipment some years ago, and I liked it a lot for traveling. A body in smaller size would be a nice addition.
the only question when will anything new happen? After the S5 there is now a big gap in the MFT lineup and also the other companies are releasing new bodies in full frame. The S1 and S1R are a little bit outdated now and also no real FW updates are released to keep them in the competition…
Or Panasonic is selling so many S5II that they don‘t care

Edit: Peta-Pixel say the standard zoom is "large aperture" so that excludes the cheaper kit lens option.
I can read Chinese and yes it says "Large aperture standard zoom lens". But whether it's f2 or f2.8 it's up for speculation.

Personally I don't think it will be a f2 standard zoom, a f2 standard zoom lens like the Canon will definitely be placed on the PRO category of lenses on the top, I think a 2.8 will be more likely.

As for the super telephoto. The Chinese words translates to "Super telephoto zoom lens", there's no mention of aperture in the super telephoto lens.

As for the range of the super telephoto lens, I think it's a 100-500mm instead of a 100-400mm as reported, here's a higher resolution photo of the roadmap captured from Xiaohongshu (Chinese Instagram):
1691744044381.jpeg

I can give some further insights on how the Chinese social media is responding to this announcement event.

Generally, the response in the Chinese social media was quite negative due to a underwhelming announcement. It also doesn't help that despite being a LUMIX X DJI event, the photographers for the event were using Canon R5s, and even one of the marketing materials was featuring the Canon C70 instead of LUMIX cameras:

1691744668825.jpeg

The marketing department of LUMIX really needs more work.

While I was hoping for some news on the next generation of the S1 series, a 100-500mm tele zoom would be of interest to me. If they could make it fairly light weight, fast focusing, and perform well with teleconverters it would be a great upgrade to my sigma 100-400.

I often favour my sigma 100-400 with the 2x teleconverter for extra reach vs my Sony 200-600mm because of the weight. With a 100-500mm I could get away with the 1.4x converter when I need the extra reach and it would likely still be much lighter.

On a side note I think it is quite significant that Lumix are now making product announcements first to the Chinese market. I hear China has the largest growing market for cameras and some other electronics. It might be a smart move for them if they don’t mess up the marketing.

I can read Chinese and yes it says "Large aperture standard zoom lens". But whether it's f2 or f2.8 it's up for speculation.

Personally I don't think it will be a f2 standard zoom, a f2 standard zoom lens like the Canon will definitely be placed on the PRO category of lenses on the top, I think a 2.8 will be more likely.

As for the super telephoto. The Chinese words translates to "Super telephoto zoom lens", there's no mention of aperture in the super telephoto lens.

As for the range of the super telephoto lens, I think it's a 100-500mm instead of a 100-400mm as reported, here's a higher resolution photo of the roadmap captured from Xiaohongshu (Chinese Instagram):
View attachment 883
Thanks for sharing and translating. Does the blue super zoom of 28-200mm say anything about Macro like the 14-28, 24-105, or 70-300?

Thanks for sharing and translating. Does the blue super zoom of 28-200mm say anything about Macro like the 14-28, 24-105, or 70-300?
Nope. The literal translation is "Wide angle to telephoto zoom lens". So yeah it's just a superzoom, no mention of macro or aperture. Though I won't be too surprised if it indeed has some macro capabilities when it's released.

I do not think we will ever see Sigma zooms rebranded as Panasonic, for the simple reason that the zoom rings on Sigma lenses operete backwards from those on Panasonic lenses. That would be very odd for Panasonic-branded lenses to be inconsistent in that fashion (and, frankly, embarrassing for Panasonic).

Of course, I could be proven wrong, or they could decide the work required to change the zoom direction is better than not having that particular lens branded as "Panasonic," but that seems doubtful to me.

We shall see.

I do not think we will ever see Sigma zooms rebranded as Panasonic, for the simple reason that the zoom rings on Sigma lenses operete backwards from those on Panasonic lenses. That would be very odd for Panasonic-branded lenses to be inconsistent in that fashion (and, frankly, embarrassing for Panasonic).

Of course, I could be proven wrong, or they could decide the work required to change the zoom direction is better than not having that particular lens branded as "Panasonic," but that seems doubtful to me.

We shall see.
I also can't imagine, that Panasonic will release rebranded Sigma lenses. But the main reason for me is, Panasonic has some different claims for it's S lenses. Panasonic uses very fast linear focusing motors and optimise there lenses for less focus breathing for the video guy's. Two things the Sigma 28-70 doesn't offer.

Back