L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

News New lens roadmap May 2024

Looks like a 28-70mm F4 and a 100-500mm F?-F?
I expect the 28-70mm to be very compact, otherwise it wouldn't sell against the excellent sigma's.

The 100-500mm looks also interesting, perhaps also reasonable compact?

That 28-70, keeps moving around the roadmap. Panasonic can’t seem to make up their mind what to do with it. It was first described as a “fast” lens, suggesting a 2.8, with some people hoping it might even be a 2.0. Agree, it now looks to be a 4.0. That would be totally fine with me. Depending on how it compares to to the Sigma 28-70/2.8, I will likely go with one or the other.
It also looks like the S Pro line has been orphaned. Has Panasonic surrendered that market to Sigma and Leica? You would think that with the S1 replacement coming sometime this year, if they were serious about the S Pro line, it would be timely to bring out something new.

... It was first described as a “fast” lens, suggesting a 2.8, with some people hoping it might even be a 2.0. Agree, it now looks to be a 4.0. ...
I can't read Japanese, but the letters haven't changed. So it should still be described as "fast" zoom lens. Why does it now look like a F4? I think a F2 zoom is still a valid opinion. But could also be a compact f2.8. I don't think a F4 would be a specific fast zoom, but maybe a manufacturer who makes a F8 prime does.

The last year's, Panasonic has focused on midrange camera bodys in the S-line with the S5 series and latest have released an entry level body with the S9. And so they made lenses for those bodys. With the S9 Panasonic has announced lenses that haven't been on the roadmap. But Panasonic started with more pro level S1 series bodys and lenses in the new system and the S1 series needs an upgrade sooner than later. Also Panasonic last year has stated that they will release some more pro level bodys in the foreseeable future. And I think there also will release some pro level lenses along with those bodys.

I was a little surprised that there have announced the entry S9 first, because the lenses on the roadmap didn't fit such a body. But there. Is less development in entry level products and they need less time for development. The planning for such products also can be much more short term compared to pro level products.

I was a little surprised that there have announced the entry S9 first, because the lenses on the roadmap didn't fit such a body.

Maybe there have been other factors which forced them to change the order of camera and lens releases.

I heard that there are still problems in the supply chaines for some parts for all brands. That can influence the timing for bodies and lenses. Maybe the 26/8.0 should have been an AF lens and the 18-40 zoom should have been ready earlier? Who knows...

There looks to be lots of overlaps. Do people really buy that many similar lenses?

Because it is lower than the first F4 lenses. From top to bottom you have an increased aperture.

But you have no increase in aperture from top to bottom. The slowest 26/8 is on the same line with the fastest 50/1.4. Also 18-40 f4.5-6.3 is above the faster 14-28 f4-5.6. And that again is above the faster 20-60 f3.5-5.6.

But you have no increase in aperture from top to bottom. The slowest 26/8 is on the same line with the fastest 50/1.4. Also 18-40 f4.5-6.3 is above the faster 14-28 f4-5.6. And that again is above the faster 20-60 f3.5-5.6.
True, so we will see what happends... I might be interested in the 100-500, if it is small and light and not too expensive....

I've reed somewhere that more than 80 % of all lens sales are in focal length between 24 and 90 mm or so. Manufacturers have to have the biggest selection in that range.

That is correct and most people buy only 2 lenses statistically

I get the point that you buy a camera with interchangeable lenses for a reason but two doesn’t sound many. Each to their own - and possibly because my funding is limited - each lens I get has to work and I’m not keen on duplication. I have them as they came as part of the kit but I have the 50mm and 85mm primes and only ever use the 50mm.

but two doesn’t sound many.

That is what the Carl Zeiss people told me 15 years ago in a meeting we had with them for our Contax community forum. As far as I remember the average was at that time 2.3 lenses and most of them in the 28-85mm range. Today that would be probably in the 24-70mm range, because the standard zoom range changed now to 24-70 vs. 28-85mm in the analog times.

Ha! I work for Carl Zeiss - but sadly not the lens side of the business. I would agree that the 24-70 2.8 is probably the most sought after and versatile lens, probably supplemented with a prime or two.

Ha! I work for Carl Zeiss -
In Oberkochen? I was many times in Oberkochen. Good old times with Dr. Nasse and Kornelius Müller. Sad, that this is all over...

In Oberkochen? I was many times in Oberkochen. Good old times with Dr. Nasse and Kornelius Müller. Sad, that this is all over...
No, Microscopy in Camborne.

Looks like a 28-70mm F4 and a 100-500mm F?-F?
I expect the 28-70mm to be very compact, otherwise it wouldn't sell against the excellent sigma's.

The 100-500mm looks also interesting, perhaps also reasonable compact?
I would like them to shrink it to 28/2 :cool:

A 28-70 F4 would be a perfect zoom... if compact. Since Panasonic already have a Pro 24-70mm F4 I assume this will be a much less expensive non-Pro lens.

A 28-70 F4 would be a perfect zoom... if compact. Since Panasonic already have a Pro 24-70mm F4 I assume this will be a much less expensive non-Pro lens.
Then it needs to be very very compact, like pancake-zoom compact. My guess it is that is a foldable design like the Nikon kit lens. Probably for the S9. The 20-60 is already small and light but a way more versatile range, I would never choose a 28-70/4 if same size/weight as the 20-60. On the other hand there is also a 28-70/2.8 from Sigma which is also small & light for its class.

I have chosen the 24-105 because F4 is enough for me in a zoom, I preferred the extra range on both ends, build and OIS over Sigma 2.8'nes + weight. Most of the time I will use this lens when bringing just one to the shooting location.

I don’t think it needs to be very very compact. The 20-60 and 28-200, fill that niche of reasonably good, all in one travel lenses on the S5. The 24-70/2.8 fills the role of no compromise optically, but big heavy and expensive. The 24-105, falls somewhere in between, better optically then the first 2, not as fast, but greater range then the latter. A 28-70/4 could be a more compact, affordable, reduced focal range and speed, but optically excellent lens to better match the new 60 mpix sensor with it’s improved noise handling in a new, smaller S1 replacement.

Back