L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

NAB 2024

Nevyn72

LMF-Patron Gold
Coming weekend is NAB 2024.

I'm really excited to see what news there will be shown.

Everybody is expecting Davinci Resolve 19, and their might also be a new Blackmagic L-mount camera.
But I'm also really hoping for some Lumix news. And perhaps some Samyang or DJI l-mount suprises?

Panasonic at least is stating this:
"Join Panasonic Connect in Las Vegas, NV from April 14-17 for the 2024 NAB Show! We will showcase our latest technology - and attendees can expect a few surprises!"
Panasonic info

Are you also excited to see what will be revealed this weekend?

At the moment, I don't expect new stuff from Panasonic Lumix at the NAB show. If so, we already would have got some rumours. Although the rumours about the 28-200 started quite close to the announcement, so maybe we will get one of the two remaining lenses from the roadmap. But I'm not very optimistic.

I'd prefer a firmware update for S5ii, specifically for AF
I would love to have a big firmware update for my S5iiX

At the moment, I don't expect new stuff from Panasonic Lumix at the NAB show. If so, we already would have got some rumours. Although the rumours about the 28-200 started quite close to the announcement, so maybe we will get one of the two remaining lenses from the roadmap. But I'm not very optimistic.
I'm afraid you are right about new hardware, although I still hope for the big software update this weekend. The S5ii(x) are highlighted in their latest press statement:

https://news.panasonic.com/global/topics/15601

Last edited:
I'm afraid you are right about new hardware, although I still hope for the big software update this weekend. The S5ii(x) are highlighted in their latest press statement:

https://news.panasonic.com/global/topics/15601
Yes, the leaked software update wouldn't be a to had announcement. If the new functions are implemented well, they will bring the S5II and S5IIX on another level. I think the software will not just bring new features, it will also improved the already existing functionality of the AF.

What is also very interesting for me are the coming ARM-windows laptops. For video editing this might be the next hot thing:

DaVinci Resolve on ARM-windows

I expect also this will be shown on the NAB

If you do video editing with DaVinci Resolve, you should watch the newest video from Casey Faris about PC/Mac requirements. You need a lot less than you might think. Most important, get a Studio licence (one time ca. 300€), not the free version.

See the thread in the DaVinciResolveforum.com:

Last edited:
If you do video editing with DaVinci Resolve, you should watch the newest video from Casey Faris about PC/Mac requirements. You need a lot kess than you might think. Most important, get a Studio licence (one time ca. 300€), not the free version.

See the thread in the DaVinciResolveforum.com:

Thank you Dirk. I've seen the video, and I have a beefy laptop, and the studio version. However if you DO have higher demands (5.8K ProRes, 4K all-I, heavy color grading, noise reduction, fairlight plugins, etc) you can get Resolve too its knees.

I'm editing a video right now and use proxies, but still it can hurt...

The good thing about Arm-based PC's like the Apple M3 or this Qualcomm chip, is that all the power goes where it is supposed to go, and is not used as extra heating of the house.

If you do video editing with DaVinci Resolve, you should watch the newest video from Casey Faris about PC/Mac requirements. You need a lot less than you might think. Most important, get a Studio licence (one time ca. 300€), not the free version.
Thanks, yes, I do follow Faris. This video reminds me why I don't build my own PCs anymore, or have custom PCs made for editing. I'm a fairly heavy user, up to Sony 8K30p 4:2:2 All-I video, and I easily edit this without proxies into 4K HDR with Studio. All with a laptop that slips into my briefcase. MacBooks can be expensive but they sure eliminate a lot of hassle.

MacBooks can be expensive but they sure eliminate a lot of hassle.

I sure wish that were true, but for many the opposite is the case. With forced OS updates that break software left and right, maintaining an Apple computer is a much larger headache than a Windows-based system. For fun I ran an application from the late 1990s in Windows 11 and it still worked fine, though the graphics were a bit funky. Talk to any tech that has to maintain systems daily and the truth comes out in minutes.

Only yesterday I was talking to a French composer who uses software extensively. After more than two decades he gave up on Apple and now is much happier.

Getting back to video, the Macbook Pro series is fine for those less demanding tasks that cover 95% of users. But for the truly demanding high resolution work they fall far behind a custom Windows system. No-one should really expect a laptop to do the job of a desktop computer.

I teach Resolve in labs of 30 Mac computers. So I own a Macbook for compatibility with that task requirement. In fact, I've used Apple computers since the Classic. But many of the more experimental demos I wish to run, covering topics like analogue video synthesis, file hacking, etc. require Windows. The Mac is simply too limited. On these occasions I bring in my Lenovo (cost €400) and everything just works.

I look forward to the new ARM chips, which will open up new creative opportunities. It's always a case of choosing the right tool for the job.

In little more than a day, the new Davinci Resolve and a lot of other goodies, including perhaps a new L-mount camera wil be announced:

So the update was yesterday, and it was a huge one.

Many DaVinci Resolve updates are for broadcasters or large production houses, but their was enough also for us amateurs to be happy.

I installed the beta and it feld a bit smoother in use, so that makes me at least happy, and than you still have those nice updates like some effects and enhancements on the edit,- color-, fairlight(sound) en fusion (sfx)page.

The music remix is also very fun to play with.

On the hardware side, you have the new boxcam which has 3 mount options (L-mount, EF and PL), and I would loved to see that their new Cini-Cam was also L-mount but I can understand it is PL. Not that I would want, of have a chance to buy any of these...

But the camera has a 12K sensor, and at the end of the year they come with a 17K sensor o_O
But just the storage is the price of a S5ii.

What I do like is that they lowered the prices for their monitor, I do hope to buy a monitor from them this year. It will allow my beloved S5iiX to output BRAW. Still not sure I want the 5” or the 7”

If you want all the information, you can check it here but warning, its a lot of info and some of the information is more for broadcasters.

Blackmagic feed (2+ hours !!)

What I do like is that they lowered the prices for their monitor, I do hope to buy a monitor from them this year. It will allow my beloved S5iiX to output BRAW. Still not sure I want the 5” or the 7”
I use the 5” version of the “older” version and recommend this size.

I use the 5” version of the “older” version and recommend this size.
Yeah i would prefer also the weight of the 5", but the 7" has XLR inputs and sometimes I wand to records the audio directly from a mixing panel.. Not all are digital and have USB. But I'm not sure yet.

Back