L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

My hope with the Sigma 50/2.0

dirk

LMF-Founder
Administrator
It is no rumor anymore. Sigma officially anounced a 23/1.4 APS-C lens, a 17/4.0 and 50/2.0 fullframe lens.

I preordered the Sigma 50/2.0 and will report here. I hope that it will not feel "too heavy". According to youtube reviewers, it is very good.

The Sigma 50/1.4 Art is too big and too heavy for me (and too expensive), the Lumix 50/1.8 also too big and the Sigma 45/2.8 is with F2.8 in some situations too difficult to seperate the background

I look forward to reading your opinions on it once it arrives and you have the chance to use it. I too am very tempted by this lens - even though I have the Lumix 50/1.8 I just enjoy using my 35/2 and 90/2.9 I-series lenses more because they feel so good in use. All the reviews I've seen so far state it's very sharp wide open except for the corners, though that may be some reviews being very picky, I'm not sure.

I'm a little disappointed it isn't cheaper as it's a 50mm and should be easier and cheaper to design and manufacture than a 35mm or a 65mm of the same speed, but maybe just the crazy inflation over the last year explains that.

I look forward to reading your opinions on it once it arrives and you have the chance to use it. I too am very tempted by this lens - even though I have the Lumix 50/1.8 I just enjoy using my 35/2 and 90/2.9 I-series lenses more because they feel so good in use. All the reviews I've seen so far state it's very sharp wide open except for the corners, though that may be some reviews being very picky, I'm not sure.

I'm a little disappointed it isn't cheaper as it's a 50mm and should be easier and cheaper to design and manufacture than a 35mm or a 65mm of the same speed, but maybe just the crazy inflation over the last year explains that.
there is only little difference between 35, 50 and 65 when designed for mirrorless using the same requirements for quality. Other 50s are cheaper, because of simpler design in picture and build quality. A Canon RF 1.8/50 cost only 1/3 but is build from 6 lens elements (very classic) and not from 11 like the Sigma. And a full metal construction is not cheap today

It will be interesting to see your comparison between the new 50mm f2 and the 45mm f2.8. I would be interested in edge sharpness comparisons wide open on both and at f2.8 and f4.

Really looking forward to seeing what you think. I have been kicking myself every since they announced it. I had pre-ordered and have the 50 1.4 and while it is a wonderful lens, if I'd known the f/2 would follow so quickly I would have waited, these I series are IMO a more sensible option on the S5 bodies, size wise.

I have the 50mm f1.8 from Panasonic and I'm very happy with it. That's why I thought I would be not that interested in the 50mm f2 I-Series lens. However I love my 35mm f2 I-Series. Image quality is on pare, but build quality and handling of the I-Series is another level. Why the size of the 50mm don't bother me, photographing with the Sigma is much more enjoyable. That's makes me think.

I really don’t use primes so much, but the i series 35mm f2 really does tempt me!

I keep thinking I should try a 50mm lens again. I haven’t had one in a very long time and struggled with it. Going wider or longer has always been more fun or dramatic. I compromised a bit and got the 65/2 which I am finding easier to use, Really like these i series primes, I don’t think you can go wrong with the 50/2. I do wish they had better weather sealing though, not that it has been a problem so far.

Yes Dirk, I've had the lens a few weeks now, love it!! No idea why there should be delays, seemed easy enough to get here.

My dealer sent me an email that delivery is postponed for another 4 weeks! Z02 Banned1

Was anybody able to buy this lens in Europe?
Where do you live. Most dealers have it on stock, delivery within the next week, in Germany. Only a some dealers seem to be low on stock. At least online.

Here in Spain, while the 17mm has been available for several weeks, the 50/2 is still listed as not yet available (rather than out of stock).

Finally !!!!!

Z04 Carrot

I got it yesterday. I am so excited. It feels lovely. As always with the Sigma i-series.

I used it today on a birthday of 86 year old lady.

I just had a look through the images on the LCD of my S5II and they look really great at F2.0.

I love the focal length, I love the haptics, I love the image quality on the LCD.

Although I would have loved it to be even smaller and lighter (as always) Teufel Grinsend Schwanz

I still have to check the images on a big screen, but it looks like this lens is a "must buy". Daumenhoch

I'm still waiting for some items to sell before I have the cash to get one... :mad:

But good to know that they're finally arriving and producing great results.

Back