L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

News Lumix S5 II and S5 IIx

dirk

LMF-Founder
Administrator
The new Lumix S5 II and Lumix S5 IIx have both 24MP, both have now Hybrid AF system. A new PDAF (Hybrid-Phasendetections-Autofokus) plus the well-known Lumix DFD system combined. This is the first time that Panasonic uses PDAF in its ILCs.

More details will follow.

What do you think about this move?

ok, here we have a short (20 minutes) video of Richard Wong in which only the AF is tested. Always in comparison with other cameras (vs. S5, vs. Canon R6II, vs. Sony A7IV) and vlogging at daylight and at night in difficult light.

I have to say, I am really impressed. Both how good Richard made this comparsion and how good the PDAF of the S5 MkII is compared to other brands.

I'm fairly new to L-mount. I bought a lightly used S5 last Nov and now have a few lenses with it - the TTArtisan 11mm f2.8 fisheye, the 20-60, 24-105, and the 50/1.8. I've also got a pre-order in for the 14-28. I'm a pure photographer (no video) and mostly do landscapes, so the S5 is actually enough for me. I don't need the improved PD autofocus or the faster 30fps burst rate. However, the new EVF would be nice to have and according to the video review of the S5ii by Richard Wong above, it does seem that the raw files from the S5ii have notably better highlight recovery headroom, so I'm sort of tempted. Maybe if I sell what's left of my Olympus gear I might get one and run the S5 as the backup camera.

EIther way, I really hope that the S5ii sells like hotcakes and that L-mount breaks through to be at least as popular as Nikon, Canon, and Sony. Is the FF mirrorless marketplace big enough for four major players? Let's hope so because I can't see any of the others giving up anytime soon!

I've also got a pre-order in for the 14-28.

You should also look closely at the Sigma 16-28/2.8, if you do not need absolutely the additional 2mm on the wide end.

I have the Sigma and I really like it! It is smaller (not lighter) than the upcoming Lumix 14-28, but in a small bag, a lens with a filtersize of 72mm is easier packed than with 77mm. Otherwise I would not take it with me.

The Northrups like it too!

It is so weired. Really everybody loves the S5 MkII. I wonder whether Lumix will be able to produce enough in the first months to keep up with the demand.

Still I would love to have a rangefinder version of the S5 MKII. Less video features but smaller, cheaper and only a basic tilting screen. One can dream....

You should also look closely at the Sigma 16-28/2.8, if you do not need absolutely the additional 2mm on the wide end.

I have the Sigma and I really like it! It is smaller (not lighter) than the upcoming Lumix 14-28, but in a small bag, a lens with a filtersize of 72mm is easier packed than with 77mm. Otherwise I would not take it with me.
Yes, I've taken a very close look at the 16-28. It's actually longer and heavier than the Panasonic 14-28:

Panasonic 14-28 - 345g, 84mm diameter, 90mm long
Sigma 16-28 - 450g, 77mm diameter, 101mm long

The slightly smaller size, lower weight, and wider FOV pull me towards the 14-28. The f2.8 of the Sigma is interesting, but as I mostly do landscapes, it's not a hugely important feature.

Back