L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Lumix S Pro 24-70 f2.8 Lens Creak and Flex

ianpollen

Hi all,

I have just purchased a Mail Order returned lens which looks new and optically is not bad, a little soft of the right at 70mm but I have seen worse.
But my concern is with the plastic ring just below the manual focus ring. It is the ring with "Certified by Leica" written on it. It creaks and flexes more than the other S Pro zooms I own.
I am wondering if during assembly they forgot to fit the felt pad or weather sealing gasket allowing more room to move and hence the creaking noise.

Just wanted to check with anyone who owns this lens to see if this is normal.

All the best,

Ian

Hi Ian I have just bought an 'as new' from Wex and the ring with 'Certified by Leica' printed on the bottom and the lens model number on the top is fixed and does not move or flex.

The only rings that move on the lens are the rubber gripped focus and zoom rings. The ring you are alluding to is a fixed part of the lens body and if that is moving, creaking or flexing then something is seriously wrong with the lens.

Hi Ian I have just bought an 'as new' from Wex and the ring with 'Certified by Leica' printed on the bottom and the lens model number on the top is fixed and does not move or flex.

The only rings that move on the lens are the rubber gripped focus and zoom rings. The ring you are alluding to is a fixed part of the lens body and if that is moving, creaking or flexing then something is seriously wrong with the lens.
Sorry misread your post. I tried to delete but would not allow me to. This is what I wanted to say.

Not the 24-70 but my 16-35 Pro has the ring below the manual focus rubber grip ring with the lens model number on top and Certified by Leica on the bottom and it is part of the lens body structure and does not move at all, ie it is fixed.

Sorry misread your post. I tried to delete but would not allow me to. This is what I wanted to say.

Not the 24-70 but my 16-35 Pro has the ring below the manual focus rubber grip ring with the lens model number on top and Certified by Leica on the bottom and it is part of the lens body structure and does not move at all, ie it is fixed.
Hi Pat, no problem and thanks for the feedback.
Funny enough this lens came from WEX too. I have the 16-35 F4 too and as you say the "Certified by Leica" cover solidly in place. The same on my 70-200 and the 50mm prime.
I am convinced something is not right with the lens so am returning it. I know it would bother me every time I picked it up if I kept it :oops:

Hello Ian, yes I couldn't live with that either!

As a recent S5 II owner I have bought a couple of extra lenses and did try the Lumix 24-70 and like you found an slight softness at the 70mm mark. I then tried the Sigma Art 24-70mm and found it to be superb at all focal lengths so taking advantage of the cashback offer bought it and am delighted. There has been a new version released but with the cashback and Wex discounting it a bit (they always do if you ask!) the Mk1 lens is almost £300 cheaper. Interestingly they have some MO ones which are more expensive than a new one with the CB.

As a Fuji owner of many years I scratch my head at Panasonics price variations and special offers and only bought the S5 II because it was at a blistering deal for a FF camera. No regrets at all, it is a cracking bit of kit but you really do have to watch the prices....and then see them come down even further the day after you have bought it!

Thankfully Wex returns are painless and I have found them to be a lovely firm to deal with.

Good luck with your return.

Ha ha I know what you mean about the discounts on Lumix kit. They seem to be endless and forever changing.
Much like yourself I have picked up some absolute bargains.

Oh well the lens is being dropped for for DPD collection tomorrow so the hunt continues for a decent 24-70.
I have the Sigma 105 Macrop and have been very impressed with it so I may give the Sigma zoom a go.
Good deals on the MK1 are still available too.

Many thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Good deals on the MK1 are still available too.

You mean the S5 mk1? Yes, I saw some great deals with it too.

The S5 MK1 is in my opinion one of the most underestimated cameras. Still smaller than the S5ii and a really great camera. Such a great value for such a low price is just crazy. Daumenhoch Smilie

You mean the S5 mk1? Yes, I saw some great deals with it too.

The S5 MK1 is in my opinion one of the most underestimated cameras. Still smaller than the S5ii and a really great camera. Such a great value for such a low price is just crazy. Daumenhoch Smilie
Panasonic give Military and Emergency workers a 15% discount via Blue Light in the UK. It brings the S5 Mk1 and the 20-60mm down to £850 which is frankly outrageous. Plus the cashback sites will pay out circa £50 and WEX will pay £150 for the 20-60mm (which I already have) bringing the price of the S5 Mk1 body down to £650.

I don't need it and my wife will remove my dangly bits with a rusty razor blade but I am seriously tempted to get one......or should i use the discount on a S5 IIX? Mmmmm decisions......

....or should i use the discount on a S5 IIX? Mmmmm decisions......

Nobody can tell you this. Dangerous ground for a happy wife.

But your mentioned prices are almost "illegal good" and should be immediately punished with a preorder of the new Lumix S9 plus some lenses including a first user experience report of the S9 here in the forum. Z04 Flucht

Seen the rumours on the S9 but the lack of a viewfinder is the killer for me so I think that I will have to pass on that one and stick with my X100V.

Back