L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Lumix 70-200 f4 - quick test

pdk42

I've got a Lumix 70-200 in my hands at present, courtesy of the Panasonic "Lumix Loan" scheme here in the UK. I arranged to get it over the Easter weekend so I get effectively four days for the price of two!

But it seems they've sent me a lemon. It looks absolutely brand new - everything is pristine with no signs of use or abuse on it at all. Even the caps are devoid of scuffs and scrathes. But it's got terrible performance on the right edge. Here's an example.

Full frame - focus is in the middle on the trees. Shot at ISO 100 on the S1R. 1/200S AT F8.

PS1R5631_1600.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S1R
  • LUMIX S 70-200/F4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/200 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

Here are 100% crops of the left edge, middle and right edge:

PS1R5631_1600.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S1R
  • LUMIX S 70-200/F4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/200 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

PS1R5631_1600.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S1R
  • LUMIX S 70-200/F4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/200 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

PS1R5631_1600.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S1R
  • LUMIX S 70-200/F4
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/200 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

I'm really not going to learn anything from this copy!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Have you sent one picture twice? The left edge and the middle is identical.

The right corner looks really blurred, so you most likely got a decentered copy, because the left corner looks fine (it looks like the double picture is the left side).

Just a note: when the Lumix S system was released two different German photo magazines (FotoMagazin, ColorFoto) published tests of the 4/70-200 and later also of the 2.8/70-200. Both test where ok, but with visible flaws used full open. Stopped down the result was very good, but for this price you can expect more! These tests are different to results from other magazines or a lot of users. I have since then the assumption, that both magazine got a bad copy (maybe the same?) of the tele zooms. They where never retested, therefore the two 70-200 are more or less the last lenses for L-mount in the list of these magazines...

Just to compare: The best lens ever tested with the S1R at ColorFoto is the Art 1.4/85DGDN (128,5points) followed by the ART 1.4/50DGDN and ART 2.8/105DGDN Macro (both 125,5 points). The 1.4/50 ProS scored 112, which is not as expected.

Now the zooms:
Lumix 2.8/70-200: 70:78,5 / 118:80,5 / 200:85
Lumix 4/70-200: 70:95 / 118:99,5 / 200:83,5
Lumix 4,5-5,6/70-300: 70:110,5 / 145:105 / 300: 91
Sigma 150-600: 150:111 / 300:107 / 600:91

All scores are an average from open aperture and 2 stops closed. In the details you see the big difference for Lumix lenses full open.

I know that magazines can test rubbish, but the results of the two slower zooms and the Sigma 85 and 105 looks in general comprehensible to me (if you don't pixel peep the exact numbers), because I own these lenses by myself. But as said at the beginning, the tests in FotoMagazin for the 2 ProS Zooms also stated high loss in quality used wide open. The ProS 16-35 scored in both magazines much better, but not as good as the Sigma 14-24...

I would talk to Panasonic, say that there seems to be a problem with the lens and hope they will send you another copy of the lens again for free.

Just an additional idea: You have Dual IS with this zoom and the S1R: If both IS are at the limit of movement (sensor to one side and the lens to other) it could be possible that the corner will be outside the sweet spot quality. If your second picture is fine at the edges you should do some test from tripod with IS switched off completely. the lens and sensor should (hopefully!) then locked in the center...

You ideally need to test it in controlled conditions like I did with my 70-300. On a tripod, parallel symmetry, completely level, on a chart or something with fine detail. I tested the centre and all corners at 3.2m distance to target at 300mm at all apertures, also used 10 sec timer. I zoomed in 300% or more on 48" 4k OLED in LR to check resolution and any decentering... There was zero and astounding performance.

@RBecker & @Oíche - yes, you're both right. I can't call it a lemon until I do the testing more carefully. But, in my defence I'll just say that every single shot with it so far is showing right-hand side softness.
If it's that bad then you wouldn't possibly need to do a controlled test like I have done but I would just to confirm your suspicions.
I'll see if I can post my results much later, I left a few on dpreview just from a jpeg and zooming in and taking screenshots on my phone, but doing the A-B comparison from the RAWs in LR really shows the detail.

It's a bit laborious setting it up but it's worth it if you just bought a lens and then have solid evidence if needed for returning it.

On another note I was surprised how far I could close the aperture without any notable diffraction softening, maybe only f22 I would be reluctant so these laborious tests are very informative before you bring it out into the field.

BTW it performed better than my 24-105 f4 @ 105mm and perhaps slightly better than my Pentax F*300 prime, it definitely has better contast at open and wider apertures giving it a sharper look.

So I got 3 lenses tested in the same setup.

But it seems they've sent me a lemon.
This is too bad, I know you have been hoping for a decent test. I don't know how "Lumix Loan" works, but is it possible if you explain what you see they could swap it for another copy?

Just a note: when the Lumix S system was released two different German photo magazines (FotoMagazin, ColorFoto) published tests of the 4/70-200 and later also of the 2.8/70-200. Both test where ok, but with visible flaws used full open. Stopped down the result was very good, but for this price you can expect more! These tests are different to results from other magazines or a lot of users. ...

I think the reasons for the results is also, at least partially, because of the testing with JPEG only. Panasonic JPEG ooc are not favourable for lens testing. The lenses appear less sharp than they really are. Sigma lenses mostly get tested in the Sony version and Sony JPEGs tends to be sharper, what favours lens tests with JPEG ooc.

I don't know if that is true, but I've also read in some testings of digitalkameras.de that the JPEGs from Panasonic unfavorable for the results for sharpness tests.

I think the reasons for the results is also, at least partially, because of the testing with JPEG only. Panasonic JPEG ooc are not favourable for lens testing. The lenses appear less sharp than they really are. Sigma lenses mostly get tested in the Sony version and Sony JPEGs tends to be sharper, what favours lens tests with JPEG ooc.

I don't know if that is true, but I've also read in some testings of digitalkameras.de that the JPEGs from Panasonic unfavorable for the results for sharpness tests.
The tests where related to l-mount versions on the S1R. The same tests (of Sigma lenses) on a Sony body show slight different results (in absolute points). So all lens tests results I copied are related to a S1R.
Initially this was a reason to start my S1R system with Sigma Art lenses only. I never regret this decision, the price/performance of the Art lenses is phantastic, even if some of the older lenses are quite heavy ️

What about the details at the right corner?
The right hand side is very soft. I've done a bit more testing and I can quite plainly see that the focus point on the right hand side shifts significantly towards the camera. On some shots where the foreground is nearer than the main part of the image, the right corner looks sharp, but the right middle edge is smeared! On the left, it's the other way around.

The right hand side is very soft. I've done a bit more testing and I can quite plainly see that the focus point on the right hand side shifts significantly towards the camera. On some shots where the foreground is nearer than the main part of the image, the right corner looks sharp, but the right middle edge is smeared! On the left, it's the other way around.
Maybe they sent you a tilt shift lens, I didn't know they made 'em. :D

Just exchange it. They have to fix that lens before they loan it to someone else.

I am very surprised that they do not check the lenses before putting them in the loan program. This is a huge reputational risk.

People loan lenses to test them. If you loan lemons, people will think this would be the normal image quality with that lens and buy the same focal length from Leica or Sigma instead because of the poor Lumix results or even worse decide because of the results for a different system.

The it is quite clear, that this lens is not correct calibrated. You said you rented this lens. I would give this feedback with the expectation to get some refund or a new rent period with a new lens...

The 70-300 you had for a while, what side was it soft on? Or was it random? I'd start to suspect something may be amiss with your camera -either the IBIS or the mount or something. I honestly can't see there being that many bad lenses out there.

The 70-300 you had for a while, what side was it soft on? Or was it random? I'd start to suspect something may be amiss with your camera -either the IBIS or the mount or something. I honestly can't see there being that many bad lenses out there.
I was going to post your thoughts too, maybe try another camera?

I was going to post your thoughts too, maybe try another camera?
Not to post for Paul, but this is the same camera he has been using for all the beautiful landscape shots he has posted in the last months. The camera is not the problem, it is the lens.

Shame, despite being more than happy with my 70-300 I was keen to get your take on the 70-200 f4

Back