L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Liberty Memorial/National World War I Museum

Travis Butler

Liberty Memorial (https://www.theworldwar.org/) was built in the early 1920s (fundraising started in 1919, groundbreaking 1921, dedicated 1926) to commemorate World War I. The centerpiece is Liberty Tower, a 66 meter tower:

View attachment 410020240510-SDIM0003 by Travis Butler, on Flickr
(All pics with Sigma fp. This pic, Hexanon 40/1.8 lens.)

View attachment 411120240510-SDIM0165 by Travis Butler, on Flickr
OM Zuiko 100/2.8

The tower's flanked by two exhibit halls, built at the same time:
View attachment 411220240510-SDIM0150 by Travis Butler, on Flickr
Vivitar (Kiron) 28/2.5

View attachment 411320240510-SDIM0195 by Travis Butler, on Flickr
Hexanon 40/1.8

The observation deck is guarded by two sphinxes:
View attachment 411420240510-SDIM0170 by Travis Butler, on Flickr
OM Zuiko 100/2.8

In 2006, a major renovation added the primary museum space under the main deck:
View attachment 411520240510-SDIM0180 by Travis Butler, on Flickr
Hexanon 40/1.8

(continued)

Last edited:
Sigh. The pic glitch strikes again... let's try the post a second time. (Was going to break this up into shorter posts to try and fix that, but so far not working.)

Last edited:
Sigh. The pic glitch strikes again... let's try the post a second time. (Was going to break this up into shorter posts to try and fix that, but so far not working.)

Yes, I had the same issue a few days ago in the May photo thread.

I always use the Preview button before posting and this is where I saw it fail. The first image appeared in the preview but not the second, so I kept trying to get the preview to work before posting. I eventually got it to work by doing a page refresh.

When you click on post or preview, the forum software appears to interpret the BB code and convert it to links as they appear in your post above (none of which work) and then when the page reloads, these links change again to how they appear on a successful post (different to what you see above). So something appears to be stopping the second update, leaving the dead links in place. Whether this is Flickr not responding or the forum software not translating properly is something Dirk may have to investigate.

I've been trying for an hour now, and still no luck. I can click on the 'Toggle BBCode' button, and the pics show properly; I click on 'Preview' and they all show up as 'View Attachment <xxxx>', with <xxxx> incrementing every time I hit Preview. I finally gave up and was going to post reduced-size pics directly from my computer, and I get the error message "You have reached the maximum limit for attachment uploads. Please try again later."

So I dunno. As you encountered, I also had occasional moments earlier when reloading the page would fix the problem - but not today. Like you say, I think the problem is in the interface between the forum/Flickr when the forum software tries to interpret the links for the final post; maybe it's trying to cache the image files?

Sorry guys, another member reported this to me a couple of days ago. I will look into this and investigate this as soon as I have more time this week.

Like the pictures and really would like to visit that memorial some day... for those interested to see a good ww1 museum, I can recommend this one Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917 (click)

Best I've been over the last 2 decades. Just the numbers alone at that site: 100 days, 500.000 killed, "gains": 8km

Like the pictures and really would like to visit that memorial some day... for those interested to see a good ww1 museum, I can recommend this one Memorial Museum Passchendaele 1917 (click)

Best I've been over the last 2 decades. Just the numbers alone at that site: 100 days, 500.000 killed, "gains": 8km
One of the things I like about the Liberty Memorial, unlike some military museums I’ve visited, is that it’s very clear about the costs/horrors of WW1. The trench re-creation was updated since my last visit; while they always had the text quotes on how terrible things were in the trenches, the new exhibits really bring it home. The brutality in the last section is particularly hard-hitting for me.

One of the things I like about the Liberty Memorial, unlike some military museums I’ve visited, is that it’s very clear about the costs/horrors of WW1. The trench re-creation was updated since my last visit; while they always had the text quotes on how terrible things were in the trenches, the new exhibits really bring it home. The brutality in the last section is particularly hard-hitting for me.
Then you should come over and visit the museum I mentioned. It is about the horrors and the insanity not just about the tools. Lot of personal stories, real movies.
After the museum I visited the Tyne Cot Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery (largest in the world) nearby

Then you should come over and visit the museum I mentioned. It is about the horrors and the insanity not just about the tools. Lot of personal stories, real movies.
After the museum I visited the Tyne Cot Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery (largest in the world) nearby
I would love to... got to wait until I have more in the bank account, though. Trips to Europe aren't cheap. :(

Back