L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

*** July 2024 Image and Video Thread ***

the s5ii + 24-105 was not too heavy at all
They also balance well being the same weight and so comfortable to handhold getting the most out of the dual I.S.

That comment I made about Ansel Adams reminded me of film photography and whilst I still have full darkroom equipment... honestly I can see Ansel looking down at me doing all this on a digital camera and phone editing and whispering "throw the film stuff in the bin as I would" :oops:

Your 16-35 looks great BTW, I've still to try my Samyang 14mm f2.8 for astro stuff after pining for FF since 2012, maybe in August I may be going wild camping in dark sky areas in the remote West Ireland coast but true dark skies aren't here until 23rd or so but it was impressive enough on APSC.

Beginning part of the Teufelsschlucht... a canyon near Trier with Basalt stone

PANA1513.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 24-105/F4
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/60 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 4000

PANA1523.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 24-105/F4
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/60 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 1000
PANA1521.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2
  • LUMIX S 24-105/F4
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/60 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 1000

Thank you, I was testing the retrostyle LUT in-camera and wanted to see how the picture looks ooc. But you're right, for such high contrast scenes it doesn't seem to be the best one.
For landscape you want RAW and unfortunately it takes PP, it's a long learning curve as other photography elements are like compositions.

LUTs are the current trendy talk but you can choose jpeg + RAW, I have tried this since yesteryear but now don't bother to keep image count down. If I take 100 on a landscaoe session I am annoyed because that means I was snapping and not fully paying attention to narrowing it down to better stuff. Usually I only take 30 or so like using expensive film, sometimes 10, sometimes zero as the light is not good. It is good practice to do this as when you are experienced you know not to waste your time as you can judge by your eyes.

The landscape wide angle myth, I'll not get into that here and that is for an entirely different thread as I've too much to say... But basically the noob landscaper making everything too small and including mostly irrelevant image which doesn't add anything to the photograph and usually no cropping out such image going with the native 3:2 format which we see everywhere.

As with any image you finalise it is a good question to ask yourself "would I pay £30 or so for a pro lab print and hang it on my wall or even post it on a forum?".

I got canvas prints done shortly after starting DSLR photography in 2012, they were landscapes with noob qualities so after a while I ripped them up and binned them :p At the time I thought they were good LoL

That is not saying I would print that last photo I posted, it's crap/mediocre but will do for a post. No way is that a wall hanger LoL

If you truly got 10 awe inspiring photos in a lifetime you'd be doing well :D

f I take 100 on a landscaoe session I am annoyed because that means I was snapping and not fully paying attention to narrowing it down to better stuff. Usually I only take 30 or so like using expensive film, sometimes 10, sometimes zero as the light is not good. It is good practice to do this as when you are experienced you know not to waste your time as you can judge by your eyes.
Exactly how I approach it. Only if I'm unsure about composition I take one or two more, or if I angled the camera just off.

Didn't realise I was using f16 and 1/200, no need for it, could have had ISO 100 :oops:
happens to me all the time. Some of the pictures above I took at 1/60 with no moving objects at 1000 iso, could have done iso 200.. but in the spur of the moment... things happen.

Last weekend (sat - tue) I was in the Eifel, Germany... I will post some pics of the trip. These are from Trier, with Port Nigra an ancient Roman building. The hall is a from the Dom, and the main square in the centre.
A friend of mine went to Trier as an exchange student, about 30 years ago… he loved the place, and it was great to see pics. I forwarded the post on to him. :)

:p atom bomb blast Z04 Breakdance.gif
It could have looked liked one of those 1950s atomic tests if the cloud was at sea level, but still shows why you want a long telephoto for seascapes.

I learnt years ago that when peeping the typical noob UWA landscape that there were better photos within.

I don't understand why the landscape means UWA idea exists, unless it is close and you are including foreground literally beneath your feet the landscape is too small. There are exceptions if you have a full skyscape of beautiful clouds or something but in general noobs will have 80% featureless photos as they are 'told' wide means landscape.

You got to think about the final output and be a photographer, not brainless I bought an expensive camera and 14mm lens that gets it all in... that's meaningless and it shows as so many people do it. You got to be an artist with your gear and it's difficult but that's the real point and where the success lies, all the equipment and money one has never equates to being good at it, and that is the beauty! Better equipment can help but you need talent, knowledge, skill etc etc. like everything else.

Today at Latourell Falls on the Oregon (southern) bank of the Columbia River Gorge. 224 feet (68 meters) tall. More later.

Attachments

• 240712 PJD Latourell Falls Oregon P1000320 L-forum.jpg
    EXIF
    240712 PJD Latourell Falls Oregon P1000320 L-forum.jpg
    950.6 KB · Views: 12
Do you really need a monochrome sensor? How many would notice if you didn't tell?
Nice work! How did you process that photo @Oíche ? Was it one of the Panasonic in-camera mono styles, or post processed?

Today at Latourell Falls on the Oregon (southern) bank of the Columbia River Gorge. 224 feet (68 meters) tall. More later.
This is a test to see if this link to a higher-resolution image works ...
Latourell Falls

240712-pjd-latourell-falls-oregon-p1000320_wp.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-S5M2X
  • 20.0 mm
  • ƒ/14
  • 2 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 100

Nice work! How did you process that photo @Oíche ? Was it one of the Panasonic in-camera mono styles, or post processed?
B&W 12 preset in LR mobile which just happened to work well with this one. The in-camera profiles are available in LR also but I'm not fussed on them.

I looked at it in Google Earth, what a beautiful area. I'd have omitted those surrounding branches and trees, they're not doing anything for the photo. Get closer and make the waterfall the feature and not those branches.
I agree a version such as you describe would be good.

The framing I chose for the version seen above was done for an "audience of two". Not for myself, but rather the geology professor & botany professor advising the HI-LO Trail project I've been working on. One professor wants to see the cliff rock face (volcanic lava), and the other professor wants to see the tree leaves (iconic Oregon native "Big Leaf Maple") and also the bright green lichen growing on the cliff (a colony which as been there for at least hundreds of years; the waterfall spray keeps it alive). If the project chooses to use this photo, it may get cropped to 5x7 vertical, or as a wider 3x2 horizontal framing from the original RAW file, to fit a specific area of one of the trailhead interpretive signs. TBD.

Cheers!

Back