L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Test/ First Impression Impressions of the Lumix S5ii from a wildlife photographer

Lsake

Jeremy Neipp has been using Lumix cameras for wildlife photography for a number of years. I believe he normally uses an S1R, here he gives his opinion of the S5ii.

As an S5 user myself, with a focus on wildlife it is a comfort to know that others are seeing the advantages and future potential of the system when used in this role.

He seems to like it! I don’t do wildlife or video and the S5‘s AF is more than I need so I can‘t see me upgrading. But I’m really happy that Panasonic have done such a great job with the S5ii - it can only be good news for the format.

I enjoyed his enthusiasm - was a good watch. As a S5II user, who enjoys action photography, purely stills, no video, while I appreciate the improvements PDAF has bought to the system I'm yet to be convinced it's anywhere near matching the competition and hoping for future improvements via firmware updates. No question for videographers it seems a big improvement from all the YouTube vids I have watched.

Twice this last week I've taken the S5II and Pan 70-300 to an athletics meeting, and twice I have swapped over to my Canon. The lens may be part of the problem as I'm not as happy with results from it on the S5II as I have been on other bodies in the past. I've had L mount bodies for over five years now, previously had the Sigma 100-400 and the 150-600 plus TC's, enjoyed using both but needed to swap back to Canon in the end for better autofocus, simply for action and wildlife. Tempted to try a Sigma 100-400 again because I hope with practise and more use I can dial in settings on the S5II to improve my hit rate.

AF-C, even with the DFD of the S5, works perfectly fine for slow moving subjects. But I think the Lumix cameras are still not the first choice for fast moving subjects and, as I've read most experience with the S5II, PDAF is not the step forward many stills shooters has hoped it would be. I think PDAF solved mostly the issues of DFD for video work. For fast moving subjects, a faster sensor like a stacked sensor or the fast sensors Canon is using in the R6/II and R5 would be even more helpful than PDAF.

AF-C, even with the DFD of the S5, works perfectly fine for slow moving subjects. But I think the Lumix cameras are still not the first choice for fast moving subjects and, as I've read most experience with the S5II, PDAF is not the step forward many stills shooters has hoped it would be. I think PDAF solved mostly the issues of DFD for video work. For fast moving subjects, a faster sensor like a stacked sensor or the fast sensors Canon is using in the R6/II and R5 would be even more helpful than PDAF.
Yes, totally agree sadly.

I enjoyed his enthusiasm - was a good watch. As a S5II user, who enjoys action photography, purely stills, no video, while I appreciate the improvements PDAF has bought to the system I'm yet to be convinced it's anywhere near matching the competition and hoping for future improvements via firmware updates. No question for videographers it seems a big improvement from all the YouTube vids I have watched.

Twice this last week I've taken the S5II and Pan 70-300 to an athletics meeting, and twice I have swapped over to my Canon. The lens may be part of the problem as I'm not as happy with results from it on the S5II as I have been on other bodies in the past. I've had L mount bodies for over five years now, previously had the Sigma 100-400 and the 150-600 plus TC's, enjoyed using both but needed to swap back to Canon in the end for better autofocus, simply for action and wildlife. Tempted to try a Sigma 100-400 again because I hope with practise and more use I can dial in settings on the S5II to improve my hit rate.
Out of curiosity, which Canon body is it that you find yourself swapping to? As @AlanC mentions maybe this is a firmware thing with the lens?

In the video Jeremy mentions briefly his experience of the S5ii vs the Sony A1, he believes in real world use there's only about a 10% difference in AFC hit rates, 60% to 70% with the sony scoring highest. Although I believe he was using the Sigma 150-600mm lens, so maybe this also has a performance impact?

Out of curiosity, which Canon body is it that you find yourself swapping to? As @AlanC mentions maybe this is a firmware thing with the lens?

In the video Jeremy mentions briefly his experience of the S5ii vs the Sony A1, he believes in real world use there's only about a 10% difference in AFC hit rates, 60% to 70% with the sony scoring highest. Although I believe he was using the Sigma 150-600mm lens, so maybe this also has a performance impact?
Firmware on Body and lenses is latest available. I mostly use the R6II, but also have the R7. My keeper rate for track and field events with either Canon body is 90% or higher, with 70-200 or 100-500.

I have no experience of the Sony but would be surprised if that was the case unless he is talking strictly video, always hear great things about Sony AF.

Not convinced by his examples on the video, when he is talking about how much better the camera locks on (5.46 marker and beyond) the camera isn't locked on at all.

I would also be surprised, and disappointed if the Panasonic 70-300 performed worse than the Sigma lens on the Panasonic body, but I may try one for myself.

Last edited:
Firmware on Body and lenses is latest available. I mostly use the R6II, but also have the R7. My keeper rate for track and field events with either Canon body is 90% or higher, with 70-200 or 100-500.

I have no experience of the Sony but would be surprised if that was the case unless he is talking strictly video, always hear great things about Sony AF.

Not convinced by his examples on the video, when he is talking about how much better the camera locks on (5.46 marker and beyond) the camera isn't locked on at all.

I would also be surprised, and disappointed if the Panasonic 70-300 performed worse than the Sigma lens on the Panasonic body, but I may try one for myself.

Based on yours and others feedback I’ve seen, it might be that canons AF is just really well tuned for fast action. I also use a Sony A7Riii but I definitely don’t get a 90% keeper rate. Although I don’t have any experience with it in track and field type situations.

I had two wildlife shoots last year, and in both cases I took the A1. (I had an S5 at the time, not the S5II. But still I would have taken the A1.) The reason is the 30 fps, and as Jeremy mentioned 50 MP versus 25.

The first was whales in Hawaii, both from shore and boat. When whales come to the surface you don't have much time, and 30 fps means you usually get a good shot.

The second was brown bears in Alaska. One might think bears move slowly, but when they are chasing and catching fish they are super fast. Again with 30 fps you get lots of good shots. Plus I took some 8K video.

I don't want to sell the S5II short, I love the camera. And I'm sure it will take lots of good wildlife shots. But the next wildlife shoot I'll probably take the A1. I do hope Panasonic evolves to offer a higher speed higher resolution camera. I'll be the first one to swap out my A1.

As you probably know, the 50-600 has faster AF than the 150-600 or 100-400, but that thing is a beast. I really hope that Sigma releases dual-motor versions of the 100-400 & 150-600.

Hopefully there will be firmware updates to the S5II in the future that will improve sports photography, but only time will tell.

Back