L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

DJI sensor for S1M2?

Nevyn72

LMF-Patron Gold
Every one is ofcourse now wondering what the S1M2 would be, especially which sensor.

I was wondering: DJI is also part of fhe L-mount alliance, what panny managed to get their newest sensor?

”With full-frame 8K/60fps & 4K/120fps capabilities, this camera ensures exceptional image quality, providing filmmakers with extraordinary versatility in capturing the demands of the scene. The 800/4000 Dual-Native ISO enhances performance across various lighting conditions, complemented by a maximum 14.7 stops of dynamic range, offering cinematic depth and rich color grades in any scenario".

See also:
Gerald Undone

From memory, the Ronin 4D 8k costs a bit more than USD$10k?
I don't know who makes that sensor, but if Panasonic wants to use that sensor, I imagine the price of that camera won't be at S1 level.

Yeah but the ronin has a lot more what we wouldn't need in a S1... Like the 4D gimbal... But yeah I can dream But ofcourse you know more what you cannot tell . I'm sure soon you come with a video of the real S1m2

Yeah but the ronin has a lot more what we wouldn't need in a S1... Like the 4D gimbal... But yeah I can dream But ofcourse you know more what you cannot tell . I'm sure soon you come with a video of the real S1m2
Oh, I should be reminded not to write a message while not fully awake yet. Even for a dutchman, what a bad English.

What I meant to say:
Yeah the Ronin is expensive, but has a lot of features not needed in a S1m2; like the 4D gimbal, and the Lidar-autofocus. However perhaps is the sensor still too expensive, but i can dream the S1m2 would use this sensor.

I don't have real information, Probably Richard already knows a lot more, but is still under an embargo/NDA. But I cannot wait to see his coming video about the camera soon ;-)

To be honest i'll stay with my S5iiX and S5 for now anyways.

haha no worries i can understand exactly what you said, or wrote!Z04 Carrot

yes that's true, if there is a S1M2 with this sensor, the price would surely be quite a bit cheaper than the Ronin 4D once you take away the gimbal, and all those fancy features.
But i still think the price of this 8k sensor would be a bit too much for a US$3-4k camera. There is a reason why so many of $2-3k full frame cameras today are still using more or less the same 24MP sensor which has been around for quite a few years and has that APSC crop restriction for 4k50/60 video. Even the latest Nikon Zf is the same.

Now to be 100% clear, i do not have any info of the so-called S1M2 or S1H2 or S1R2. Otherwise, I would not comment on a discussion like this because of NDA Z04 9856

I didn't know that DJI did sensors!
DJI doesn't make their own sensors. It is usually a mystery who makes the sensor on any given DJI product. I did have one DJI drone where they promoted it had a Hasselblad sensor. It was okay, nothing special. My best guess would be the Ronin 4D-8K has a Sony sensor. With that performance it's not cheap, but I would like to see something like that in a Lumix camera.

I’m surprised at how slow Panasonic are in replacing the S1/S1r. I’m fully planning on getting one when it is launched if it meets a few basic requirements of mine. I loved the S1r when I briefly owned one, but its size and weight were beyond my acceptable limit. I’m personally hoping for something like this:

- Around 50 Mp
- High res EVF
- Dual tilt screen like the original S1
- Size around the same as the S5

Anything else will be a bonus. PDAF is probably a given, but it’s not vital for me.

- Dual tilt screen like the original S1
The S1H has a screen that is both tilt and swivel. But it is awfully bulky. The GH6 has a dual mode screen like this that is a big improvement, the bulk was greatly reduced. The tilt is only up, so you can shoot looking down at the screen. If you want to shoot with the camera over your head you still need to use the swivel. But it meets the needs of photographers, bloggers, and videographers.

Truthfully I'm not that particular, and a tilt up and tilt down screen would be fine. Or I can live with a swivel. Or a dual mode screen.

Sounds like the sensor has the right capabilities, I suppose it’s possible they could use it if they get a good price on bulk orders. They are probably going to want to keep an S1/R/H replacement under £4,000. They’ve been pretty aggressive with the S5II pricing, I guess they will want to come in slightly under the cost of a Z8 or A7R5.

The S1H has a screen that is both tilt and swivel. But it is awfully bulky. The GH6 has a dual mode screen like this that is a big improvement, the bulk was greatly reduced. The tilt is only up, so you can shoot looking down at the screen. If you want to shoot with the camera over your head you still need to use the swivel. But it meets the needs of photographers, bloggers, and videographers.

Truthfully I'm not that particular, and a tilt up and tilt down screen would be fine. Or I can live with a swivel. Or a dual mode screen.
For stills photography, the dual tilt on the S1 and S1R is hard to beat.

I'm not going to watch Gerald (I still haven't forgiven him for his hatchet job on the Sigma fp L ;) ) but CineD have some information about the sensor in the Ronin 4D 8K:
https://www.cined.com/dji-ronin-4d-8k-first-look-review-dynamic-range-rivalling-arri-alexa-mini-lf/

And from that the sensor looks to match to Sony's new IMX366 in terms of frame rates and bit depths:
https://www.sony-semicon.com/files/62/pdf/p-13_IMX366AJK_Flyer.pdf

But given Panasonic have doubtless been involved in the Leica Q3 (and possibly the M11?) my guess would be that we might see a photo oriented camera using the same 60MP sensor, just as the 47MP sensor used in the S1R was also found in the Q2 and SL2.

Setting aside DJI rumours, I'm personally convinced that the S1 ii will have the same 60Mp sensor as the Leica Q. It'll probably find its way into the next Leica SL body too.
That is likely some version of the Sony IMX455. I would like to see something with a little faster readout, but that wouldn't stop me from buying it.

That is likely some version of the Sony IMX455. I would like to see something with a little faster readout, but that wouldn't stop me from buying it.
I think that sensor would be a good fit for some kind of S1R successor. But not for an S1 or even S1H successor. A S1 and S1H successor needs a faster sensor, but lower resolution. Maybe not 24 MPix low. Something around 36 Mpix would be nice.

The Triple Sensor Technology of the Q3 and Leica M11 is very interesting for a future Leica SL3, and hopefully for the next S1 of Lumix.
For photography is something like that (https://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Blog/three-questions-for-the-leica-q3):

"The TRT feature, you can reduce those file sizes to 50mb at 36 megapixels and 27mb at 18 megapixels. This will also have other benefits too when set to the different megapixels:

L-DNG: 60 MP / 85MB file size / Benefits: Best for detail

M-DNG:
36 MP / 50MB file size / Benefit: Best for Performance Ratio

S-DNG:
18 MP / 27mb file size / Benefit: Best for low noise level"

OK, does anyone know how this Triple Resolution Technology for video works? I know the Q3 has 8k video.

Would it be possible to use the 18mpx mode to obtain the video advantages (faster sensor, etc.) of cameras like the S1H?

The Triple Sensor Technology of the Q3 and Leica M11 is very interesting for a future Leica SL3, and hopefully for the next S1 of Lumix.
For photography is something like that (https://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Blog/three-questions-for-the-leica-q3):

"The TRT feature, you can reduce those file sizes to 50mb at 36 megapixels and 27mb at 18 megapixels. This will also have other benefits too when set to the different megapixels:

L-DNG: 60 MP / 85MB file size / Benefits: Best for detail

M-DNG:
36 MP / 50MB file size / Benefit: Best for Performance Ratio

S-DNG:
18 MP / 27mb file size / Benefit: Best for low noise level"

OK, does anyone know how this Triple Resolution Technology for video works? I know the Q3 has 8k video.

Would it be possible to use the 18mpx mode to obtain the video advantages (faster sensor, etc.) of cameras like the S1H?
I like this option of variable resolution capture - assuming that read out speed increases as the resolution drops. If that’s not true, then I assume any IQ advantages could be achieved by down-resing in PP.

Setting aside DJI rumours, I'm personally convinced that the S1 ii will have the same 60Mp sensor as the Leica Q. It'll probably find its way into the next Leica SL body too.

It's starting to seem probable: from https://leicarumors.com/2023/12/27/the-latest-leica-sl3-camera-rumors.aspx/

• The Leica SL3 will use the same 60MP sensor as the M11/Q3
  • There will be a new body that is only a bit smaller than the current SL2
  • 6.5 stops image stabilization
  • Phase detection AF
  • 9fps continuous shooting
  • Supports cropped 8K/30p and 4K/60p + full-frame & S35 C4K/30p
  • Official announcement expected in the first quarter of 2024 (March?)
  • The camera is already being tested in the field

Given that the SL2 is significantly smaller and lighter than the S1R a Panasonic equivalent would hopefully be the same.

Back