L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Came from DPR as well

ptr22

Hi,

Coming over from DPR as well and hope this will be a similar good 'home'.

Still somewhat new to photography myself and live near Dresden in Germany. Bought my first camera (S5) not even two years ago, initially for work and video related things. Fell in love with photography though and even bought a second S5 last year. Usually, I carry one with 20-60 on the other one with the 70-300 (using that the most) but have a few other lenses for video or star stuff. :D Mostly landscape and nature things, milky way/astro if the skies allow it and whatever jumps in front of my camera randomly otherwise.

Looking forward to reading and contributing!
Peter

even bought a second S5 last year. Usually, I carry one with 20-60 on the other one with the 70-300 (using that the most) but have a few other lenses for video or star stuff.
I sometimes think I might buy another S5 - just to avoid the lens swaps.

I sometimes think I might buy another S5 - just to avoid the lens swaps.
Yeah, since they already dropped in price I'd say do it. Personally, I get a bit OCD swapping lenses already and doing that outside, possibly in wet or snowy conditions..I'd not feel good. Having the two cameras with the two lenses saves me that. Of course, it's extra weight but nothing compared to an old Nikon 6 with a 200mm prime on that I saw with a photographer today!! :D

Yeah, since they already dropped in price I'd say do it. Personally, I get a bit OCD swapping lenses already and doing that outside, possibly in wet or snowy conditions..I'd not feel good. Having the two cameras with the two lenses saves me that. Of course, it's extra weight but nothing compared to an old Nikon 6 with a 200mm prime on that I saw with a photographer today!! :D
I’m not OCD, and always happy to clean the sensor, but it can be a pain. I’ve been away for a week in Norway (not hard core photography - just visiting family) and I’ve got now probably about 3 or 4 annoying dust spots in the sensor. Was shooting a few shots at f22 to get sunstars and at this small f stop the dust stands out like a lighthouse on a moonless night!

Herzlich Willkommen!
Vielen Dank Jan! VG
I’m not OCD, and always happy to clean the sensor, but it can be a pain. I’ve been away for a week in Norway (not hard core photography - just visiting family) and I’ve got now probably about 3 or 4 annoying dust spots in the sensor. Was shooting a few shots at f22 to get sunstars and at this small f stop the dust stands out like a lighthouse on a moonless night!
Haha...yeah, would hate that! Tbh, I'm a bit afraid of cleaning the sensor myself. Afraid I'd break something with the swipes. Normally, I'm quite good using my hands but the cameras make me nervous. :D

Vielen Dank Jan! VG

Haha...yeah, would hate that! Tbh, I'm a bit afraid of cleaning the sensor myself. Afraid I'd break something with the swipes. Normally, I'm quite good using my hands but the cameras make me nervous. :D
Ah, it's no big deal. I must have cleaned the sensor on one camera or another 30 or 40 times by now with no mishap. If you're careful and follow the various guides out there it's pretty foolproof.

Okay, I'll look into it! Certainly cheaper than giving it to our store here (59€) and getting it back with different spots. :D

Ah, it's no big deal. I must have cleaned the sensor on one camera or another 30 or 40 times by now with no mishap. If you're careful and follow the various guides out there it's pretty foolproof.
Morning Paul,

It appears my S5 is a dust magnet and to a lesser extent, the S1R. Tried inverting and using a rocket blower, but many spots still linger.

I have a kit with swabs/fluid.

Question: do I switch the cameras on and disable IBIS to stabilise the sensor - or does it not matter?

TY

Morning Paul,

It appears my S5 is a dust magnet and to a lesser extent, the S1R. Tried inverting and using a rocket blower, but many spots still linger.

I have a kit with swabs/fluid.

Question: do I switch the cameras on and disable IBIS to stabilise the sensor - or does it not matter?

TY
Well, I always do it with the camera off. Here’s my reasons:

1) If by some chance the shutter fired while cleaning, it would wreck the shutter.
2) I can‘t believe fighting the IBIS (which is what will happen if you do it with camera on) can do it any good.
3) The sensor rattles around when you’re carrying the camera when it’s turned off, so clearly movement when off isn’t a problem.
4) If you’re careful and don’t apply too much pressure, the sensor doesn’t move anyhow.
5) I watched one of the Olympus techs cleaning an EM1 at the Photography Show several years back and they did it with the camera off.

Hope that helps!

Thank you very much. Switching IBIS off would fix the sensor in place but I hadn't considered triggering the shutter.

I'll dive in later. Wish me luck.

Z04 Explodieren

Thank you very much. Switching IBIS off would fix the sensor in place but I hadn't considered triggering the shutter.

You might like to take a look at this video from Leica Australia on cleaning the sensor of a camera with stabilisation since their system is likely very similar - if not the same - as Panasonic's (go to 19:43 in the video for the relevant bit):

The way I've done it is to run the sensor cleaning option on the Setup | Others menu: when that completes and you get the message saying turn the camera off the sensor is locked in place while the power is on. I also put the camera into electronic shutter mode, just to play safe.

The way I've done it is to run the sensor cleaning option on the Setup | Others menu: when that completes and you get the message saying turn the camera off the sensor is locked in place while the power is on. I also put the camera into electronic shutter mode, just to play safe.

Thank you. The instructions with the kit suggested the above as well. Didn't trust myself to touch the sensor without it being immobilised.

The S5 now has a clean sensor :)

Thank you all for the tips. I have no dust yet on my S5, but at least I know now how to clean it and am more relaxed regarding future dust issues.

Back