L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

50mm 1.8; new copy

D_Ch

As mentioned in passing on another thread, i was waiting for delivery of a new 50mm 1.8; i sent the original copy from my kit to Panasonic through the dealer i bought it from since it was decentered; right hand las 1/4 of the image, wide open, was clearly softer than the left hand side. I normally shoot new gear a bit before testing it more properly, and the 50mm already gave me hints of being a bit off (20-60 and 85 1.8 were good even after testing).
Panasonic decided to send me a new copy (different SN) and after a quick but controlled test, i can see the new one is quite good. Not much to see as far as inconsistencies, and it's actually an amazing lens; even at 1.8 contrast and sharpness are very good all the way to the corner.
Since normally we post more about problems, i though i'd leave a good note about Panasonic's service and the quality of this affordable but very good lens. And about the fact that the first was decentered, i came to assume it's part of the deal in this price range - at least you can get a better one if not happy.

Thank you for this feedback. It is important to show also the good news in forums. Most brands are afraid of forums, because they think only bad things are reported. Z04 Zeter01

I do think this is not true for all forums. It also depends on the forum itself and what kind of discussion culture you have in a forum. Here is the proof. Daumenhoch Smilie

As mentioned in passing on another thread, i was waiting for delivery of a new 50mm 1.8; i sent the original copy from my kit to Panasonic through the dealer i bought it from since it was decentered; right hand las 1/4 of the image, wide open, was clearly softer than the left hand side. I normally shoot new gear a bit before testing it more properly, and the 50mm already gave me hints of being a bit off (20-60 and 85 1.8 were good even after testing).
Panasonic decided to send me a new copy (different SN) and after a quick but controlled test, i can see the new one is quite good. Not much to see as far as inconsistencies, and it's actually an amazing lens; even at 1.8 contrast and sharpness are very good all the way to the corner.
Since normally we post more about problems, i though i'd leave a good note about Panasonic's service and the quality of this affordable but very good lens. And about the fact that the first was decentered, i came to assume it's part of the deal in this price range - at least you can get a better one if not happy.
It would put me off buying one from Ebay snd I nearly did. I'd prefer to buy them new or used from the local Wex camera store in fear of a bad lens.

MPB is also an option i've used before and you can return if it's a bad copy. Indeed Ebay is low on my list, and i used to buy and sell stuff there...

MPB is also an option i've used before and you can return if it's a bad copy. Indeed Ebay is low on my list, and i used to buy and sell stuff there...
I hate selling stuff on Ebay, had one ****** of a buyer last year (not for camera gear) and it put me off for good and I've sold loads on it for 25 years.

I've a few valuable legacy Pentax lenses still to sell and I don't know where else to sell them. MPB don't buy legacy equipment, only stuff from their database it seems. I haven't bought from MPB but I have a Wex shop 5 mins away for collection from any of their shops in UK so I can inspect it before leaving and return it in person if optically it is faulty. Tryingvto do thus by post us extra hassle and I hate hassle.

I hate selling stuff on Ebay now, I get anxiety thinking about it. I'd rather dump it in the bin!

Back