L-MOUNT Forum

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Trying to decide which 24mm lens to buy...

AZ1

I'm currently looking at the Sigma 24mm f1.4 DG DN, Panasonic Lumix S 24mm f1.8, Sigma 24mm F2 Contemporary. Of course, the faster f1.4 would be what I want, but I also want great detail image quality. I do like that the LUMIX 24mm f1.8 has minimal focus breathing and is light weight. I mainly shoot video probably 99% of the time. Thoughts?

If I am not wrong, the S5 has apsc crop in 4k video. That turns the 24mm focal length into 36mm, IMHO a good focal length for video too.

I have the lumix 24mm 1.8 and is perfect for wide angle shots and video in low light environments.

Im a big Sigma fan and own the tiny 24mm f3.5 DG DN which is a fantastic lens for my still photography needs.
Panasonic lenses are known for their work on video, especially minimal focus breathing,etc. so probably go for the Panasonic 24mm f1.8 for your use case.

If I am not wrong, the S5 has apsc crop in 4k video. That turns the 24mm focal length into 36mm, IMHO a good focal length for video too.

I have the lumix 24mm 1.8 and is perfect for wide angle shots and video in low light environments.

Thanks for the reply! As others stated, the S5 does not have a crop with 4K video at 30fps or lower. Also, you just hit exactly why I'm buying the 24mm. Sure I will use it for the wider 24mm field, but my plan is to use it when I shoot 4K 60P on the S5 (and upcoming S5IIX). It's close to a 35mm (36mm) FOV. Since I do plan on shooting some 6K stuff and upscaling to 8K, I wonder if this higher resolution can show the differences in detail with these lens I'm looking at? Also, I'm also considering purchasing the upcoming S1H MKII. I certainly believe the rumors are correct about 8K video.

One thing to note, if using the Sigma lenses on the original S5 with continuous AF, you may see a bit more pulsing on the EVF and viewscreen from the DFD system.

If I were in the market for a 24mm prime, my choice would be the Sigma 24mm f2 i series. It looks a great performer, it's not too big & heavy, it has a very nice haptic feel/build to it, and it looks gorgeous:

04-Classic-Build.jpg

If I were in the market for a 24mm prime, my choice would be the Sigma 24mm f2 i series. It looks a great performer, it's not too big & heavy, it has a very nice haptic feel/build to it, and it looks gorgeous:

04-Classic-Build.jpg

Thanks, this is also one the lens on my list. From what I'm seeing and hearing, the f2.0 DG DN lens resolves great detail even f2.0. The question is if I'm working with 8K video, which lens will resolve the best detail? I realize the benefit for focus breathing on the Panny f1.8, but I have seen some reviews that have this lens a tad short on detail even at the center (comparison wise). I still have not voted even the f1.8 out. Is there any direct MTF detail to compare these three lenses?

Back